Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1827 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jul 1, 2010 6:32 PM by felynn
Sacman21 Rookie 1 posts since
Jun 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 23, 2010 5:48 AM

Running with a partner

Here is my dilemma.  I have been training for about 6 months for a 15k in my hometown.  My girlfriend started running about a two months ago, training for the same race.

My problem is: she thinks it is ok for me to slow down my runs to stay with her while she stops to catch her breath.  I feel like I am hindering my progress and possibly my body by slowing down my running speed and walking with her when I feel good and should continue.

So I guess what I am asking is this:  will slowing up my runs hinder my overall performance?

• Shellou1102 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    1. Jun 23, 2010 7:36 AM (in response to Sacman21)
    Re: Running with a partner

I have the same situation with a couple of my running partners.  Going a little bit slower on easy runs won't hurt, but I wouldn't stop to walk if you don't need to.  The way I manage it is, I typically only run my easy runs with my running partners, and if they need to stop to walk or are going way too slow, I will run ahead for a couple minutes and lap back to meet up and continue running with them again.  They know what my goals are so they are very understanding about that.  I always do my tempo runs or intervals alone so that I will push myself to stay on my pace and get the maximum benefits from them.  Good luck with your training!

2/7/10 - Super Bowl 5K - 27:18

3/14/10 - Corktown Race 5K - 27:54

4/10/10 - Martian Invasion 5K - 28:20

4/24/10 - Country Music Half Marathon - 2:06:11 PR

5/22/10 - Save the Manatee 5K - 26:08 PR

6/5/10 - Oak Apple Run 10K - 55:23 PR

6/24/10 - Solstice Run 10 mile - 1:31:01

Upcoming

8/1/10 - Rock n Roll Chicago Half Marathon

8/21/10 - Farmington Run for the Hills 10K

11/21/10 - Women's Half Marathon St. Petersburg

• Joe_h1 Community Moderator 1,833 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    2. Jun 23, 2010 7:59 AM (in response to Sacman21)

I agree w/ the above if it's possible do your recovery runs w/ her or long slow distance and do you hard workouts without her or do it at the track or a small loop course so you can run together but not exactly together. BUT be very careful with this it's one thing to drop a training partner it's another thing to PO your girlfriend.   She may see this as time together with you and sharing your interests and if you drop her incorrectly she may hold it against you.  It may pay to introduce more training partners to you workouts - people closer to her speed to keep her company when you take off. good luck and have fun

goals for 2011:

break 19minutes for 5k

break 2:42 for olympic triathlon probably Anthracite olympic

break 3:16 for marathon ( a long shot but it's fun putting yourself out there)

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    3. Jun 23, 2010 8:33 AM (in response to Sacman21)

I have this same problem!  My girlfriend is slower than I am and I only run with her when I purposefully want to run slow and she wants to run a bit faster.  We meet in the middle.  But I've told her that I take my training seriously so I can't run with her too frequently.  It would be silly for her to get mad about that - after all, does Lance Armstrong's wife get mad when he doesn't want to loop back for her during his training rides?  An extreme example, but same principle   It works out when she's doing a workout or if we do track workouts together.

Other solutions include treadmill running together, playing other sports as cross-training, or lifting weights.  Sometimes you're walking a fine-line between getting in a fight and being honest, but it's a worthwhile discussion to have.

Cheers, - Fitz.

Strength Running
  • TylerDurdinUMD Pro 64 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010
    4. Jun 23, 2010 9:07 AM (in response to JasonFitz1)

This is a tough one.

I have been the slow guy in a pair (not with my wife, just a buddy from work).  We were getting ready for a sprint-distance triathlon that included a 5k, and we worked out our shared training like this:  Run our 5k practice loop, once a week, together, at my pace.  Having him along would push me.  Then, I'd be done, and he'd go run it again, at his pace (and his second lap was still WAY faster than my first).  The first lap was his warmup, for lack of a better term.

2009 Pascack Valley Sprint Triathlon - 1:20:17

2010 Pacers Half Marathon - 2:09:37

2010 NJ State Triathlon (Olympic) - 3:33:19

Best little forum on the Internet:  http://www.vaughnripley.com/forum/

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    5. Jun 23, 2010 10:01 AM (in response to Sacman21)

Short answer is yes:  You need to do 2 good quality workout a week to improve.  So do them with a running group or by yourself, and run the other days with her.  When I run with my wife I do side streets to add extra miles/tempo that seems to help.  I think every one has a point where to slow makes it harder, I would avoid that pace.

• crl8686 Legend 1,306 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    6. Jun 23, 2010 10:53 PM (in response to Sacman21)

Sacman21 wrote:"...will slowing up my runs hinder my overall performance? "

In a word, yes. You will be running below your capabilities, and it will hinder both your performance and your improvement as a runner.

Ideally a running partner's strengths and pace should be reasonably well matched with yours. However, if your girlfriend very much wants to run with you (and I assume vice versa), then I'd suggest that the two of you join a local running club or group that includes a range of abilities. Then you can each run with others of your own ability, while still running "together" as part of a larger group.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

Friends of the Villa Park Library 5K, Villa Park, CA, 24:10

Coronado Independence Day 5K, Coronado, CA, 24:36

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

Fiesta Days Run, La Canada, CA, 50:29

• xc29min Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 26, 2007
    7. Jun 30, 2010 3:21 PM (in response to Sacman21)

Well, now that I've got my niece interested in running she wants to run with me.  Here's how I handle this.  I keep my training runs separate from hers. When I do join her on her runs/walks, we talk about training and other stuff about running.  I've given her books on running and training.  I let her know what run i did yesterday, on what paces or time intervals and how I'm benefiting.  I do this in hopes that she will move forward with her running program and that she will do her own thing.

That being said, I also enjoy taking the time to run/walk with her since one never knows,  maybe she just wants to spend time with her uncle.  Also, it depends on your goal with running too and how much time you have to train/run. 

The thing is here, for me, I luv running.  I also luv helping others to run as well.  Good luck both of you.

"Peace" Long May You Run

• felynn Expert 57 posts since
    May 17, 2009
    8. Jul 1, 2010 6:32 PM (in response to Sacman21)

As the slow runner in my family and friends , i can tell you from experience i only run with people once a week. i push myself faster and i think it helps me.

also before we start i ask them how far they plan to run and make a deal with them that i run the first half at their pace no stopping no matter what.. and then we slow down the second half at least one min per mile slower than b4.....we all end up happy..

on a side note.. even if i will not stop running  there does come a point where i tell them .. u must do all the talking because i got to concentrate on breathing..lol....

felynn

disney princess half marathon march 2009--3:27

philly half marathon nov 2009-- 3:10

new york city half marathon march 2010-2:47

jersey girls tri- july 2010-- 1:31

long Island diva Oct 2010--2:42

navisink 15k nov 28 2010 -1:56 most hills outside mt Everest!!

NEW YORK CITY MARATHON 2011 HERE I COME!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...