Skip navigation

1985 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2012 7:29 AM by PowerDribble RSS
MaxxHunter Pro 72 posts since
Apr 2, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 18, 2010 5:48 PM

Quicker Ball Handles

I can do all of the basic ball handling moves real easy, behind the back, between the legs, combinations, and all that, but I was at the gym one day playing against one of the best defenders in my area. Normally I can get by most people but not the best ones at D. How can I take those moves and move them from average speed to really quick?

Any drills or advice would help...

• DFENSE808 Pro 126 posts since
    Jun 5, 2010
    1. Jun 23, 2010 2:35 PM (in response to MaxxHunter)
    Re: Quicker Ball Handles

Sometimes it's not the speed that will get you past defenders.  Try changing speeds, suddenly stopping and starting again, stutter step with your dribble, change levels of your dribble, jab step to make space before you take your dribble.  You want to get even the best defenders on their heels and off balance to make you move to blow by them.  Work on faking dribble moves. For example, fake a spin with the dribble and go the way you started.  Personally, the more times you dribble against good defensive players and get picked, identify how they are pickin your pocket, and use it against them by baiting them into gambling on a move your are prone to make. Hope this helps.

• adanny14 Legend 590 posts since
    May 20, 2010
    2. Jun 23, 2010 5:40 PM (in response to DFENSE808)

Totally agree. Not just how fast you move, but moving different directions.

• iAthletes Legend 429 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    3. Jun 24, 2010 5:49 AM (in response to adanny14)

Randy gave some great pointers up there, use those fakes! . Mastering the ball handling drills during training is one thing but implementing them in a game situation is another. I truly believe its takes being smarter then your defender.

Things like: knowing angles and positions, awareness of his foot work and which way he is playing you, how to use your body better, etc...

Remember to go NORTH and SOUTH, not east and west on your dribble drives....that means, 1 hard quick move that attacks at your opponent rather than play around with it by doing a bunch of moves. Pick a move for that play and attack him by putting him on his heels. For example, you might want to hit him with a inside out, cross over and boom you attack the rim.

The best way to improve your ball handling is by implementing your training doing game-speed and game situations!

You'll get it man!

Danny

Founder of the worlds first ever online basketball camp, 3-Point Academy

Our home website; Innovative Athletes

Email: dannym@innovativeathletes.com

Follow iAthletes on Twitter

• Busdriverkid Legend 362 posts since
    Apr 16, 2010
    4. Jun 24, 2010 8:13 AM (in response to DFENSE808)

I completely agree : )

• Malik18 Legend 377 posts since
    Mar 29, 2010
    5. Jun 24, 2010 10:49 AM (in response to MaxxHunter)

It is more about timing and speed, but if you have both, you are that much more deadly, even with good timing, if a player is athletic enough, they can recover, just as if you only have speed, and no kind of stop and go type moves, a smart player will figure you out quickly. you must have both. the move portion cant be stated better than what randy said, thats definitely advice to follow, as for speed, the best way to do it is to practice, and there are a few ways to do that.

1.Max Speed dribbling:Basically, do each move as fast as you possibly can handle, keep practicing that way, and naturally your dribble moves will become quicker.

2:Heavier Ball: I havent tried this one yet personally, but i have heard good things about using a heavy basketball or even a medicine ball and practicing moves with it.

3. Deflated Ball: not completely deflated, but let the air out enough to where you have to dribble harder, once again you will naturally build quickness

there are definitely other ways, but those are the three that i like the most, i mainly use the third one though

• PowerDribble Amateur 20 posts since
    Aug 23, 2012
    6. Aug 23, 2012 7:29 AM (in response to MaxxHunter)

You can also use a training aid that helps with your speed, and fundamentals of dribbling as well. I have told my players to use the Power Dribble, you can read it at www.powerdribble.com to help, check it out.

Hope it helps,

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points