Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2288 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2007 8:34 PM by DanMoriarity RSS 1 2 Previous Next
arc918 Rookie 412 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 7, 2007 1:48 PM

missed a BQ by 12 seconds...

anybody else have a near miss? 

you can read all about it here:

http://www.coolrunning.com/forums/Forum8/HTML/010865.shtml[/URL" target="_blank">

• Southern Man Rookie 757 posts since
    Apr 19, 2006
    1. Dec 7, 2007 2:07 PM (in response to arc918)
    Re: missed a BQ by 12 seconds...

Yes, I missed by 5 seconds.

Southern Man

----

We're on a road to nowhere.  Come on along.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    3. Dec 7, 2007 3:57 PM (in response to arc918)

quote:

Originally posted by arc918:

even better!

Even worse?

• Brian McN Amateur 240 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    4. Dec 7, 2007 4:03 PM (in response to arc918)

I know someone who missed by a slim margin, wrote them a letter and they let him in.  He went on to run a very decent time at Boston under lousy conditions.

Apr 19, 2006
    5. Dec 7, 2007 5:11 PM (in response to arc918)

quote:

Originally posted by Brian McN:

I know someone who missed by a slim margin, wrote them a letter and they let him in. He went on to run a very decent time at Boston under lousy conditions.

I've talked to many people who have suggested I do that. I am not going to. It would be a hollow achievement in my mind.

Southern Man

----

• NHSenior Legend 387 posts since
    Nov 23, 2007
    6. Dec 20, 2007 10:39 PM (in response to arc918)

quote:

Originally posted by Southern Man:

I've talked to many people who have suggested I do that. I am not going to. It would be a hollow achievement in my mind.

Southern Man

The reason they normally will let a time that close be OK, is there many vagaries in any timing system.

For instance, the timing mats can read only so many signals in a given second. Most timing chips will only read x number of inches above from a mat.

While the timing mats technically can read all that are thrown that them, a start has lots of chips to read and some borderline signals may get excluded. How?

If you happen to land on the middle of the first mat with the foot that did not have the chip and you happen to have a higher lift of your stride than some others, even though your foot came down on the edge of mat, the chip may not be in the zone for long enough.

So your chip many not have been read until the second mat and if you first foot on the second mat was nearer the front on the mat and did not have the chip there is an additional delay of your recorded start time before your chipped foot registers.

At the finish you may not have the situation of too many chip signals but since you are then ruining at a more fuller stride, it is possible for the ONLY foot to land on the first mat to not have the chip so you don't get recorded until you slow down and cross the 2nd mat. And most runner do slow down before going over the 2nd mat.

I'm not in the camp of hollow achievements and if fact I'm probably a gatekeep in the enemy camp, but there isn't any shame in writing a letter for 5 seconds. I more than most understand this is all about personal internal honor, something that is way too rare in this day and age, but save that personal pride of falling on your sword for something more important in your life, not that running a BQ isn't very important.

I used a club bypass number to run my first Boston and I never had run close to a BQ before that. However I was so jacked up running Boston that I ran a qualifier by 5 minutes that day. Maybe I was paying the running gods back for the opportunity. I'll bet you can do that too.

If hollow achievements were actually cared about so as to cause runners to not go for them, the number of marathoners would be cut in half and the average finish time would drop like a stone.

[http://This message has been edited by NHSenior (edited Dec-07-2007).|http://This message has been edited by NHSenior (edited Dec-07-2007).]

• MrPHinNJ Amateur 139 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    7. Dec 7, 2007 10:12 PM (in response to arc918)

quote:

I don't think I'd be able to do it either. However, I have had a couple of races where my chip didn't register at the start, and on the results chip time equaled gun time. I always wear a watch and start it when I cross the start line so I can keep tabs on my chip time during the race. If there was a case that this happened and cost me a BQ, I think I would request a waiver as long as my watch indicated that I made the time.

I used to look a results and see mid-packers like me with the same chip and gun times. I used to get annoyed thinking they lined up right in front until this happened to me the first time.

Anyway, nice race arc918.  You'll get your BQ soon enough.  Sounds like you're taking the near miss with the right attitude.

• kudzurunner Rookie 525 posts since
    Dec 6, 2007
    8. Dec 7, 2007 10:22 PM (in response to arc918)

I BQ'd by one second last year (3:30:59) and I didn't run Boston last year and have decided not to run it this year.  I know I should run it at least once, but it just doesn't excite me.  I'm going to focus on shorter races.

Sorry you missed it.  You'll get it next time.

• IceStorm213 Rookie 352 posts since
    Nov 1, 2005
    9. Dec 7, 2007 11:02 PM (in response to arc918)

Did you wear a watch and did it confirm?  I gotta tell you, with a headwind and given that you're talking less than 1/2 second per mile, I wouldn't hesitate for a second to write the letter.  Maybe you missed it in the waterstops.  Whatever.  It's an arbitrary deadline and you've earned a spot.  Nothing stopping you from getting the BQ in Boston.

I respect the integrity, but honestly, I say go for it.

For background, I BQ'd by less than a minute in March.  After that, I tweaked my hip, then my knee, and all the lost training has killed me.  I ran 8 minutes slower 6 months after the BQ.  The point I'm trying to make is that you should not pass up opportunities.

• jjwaverly_42 Pro 388 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    10. Dec 7, 2007 11:21 PM (in response to arc918)

If you really want to run Boston, send in your application with your race time. It might be close enough for them. I know someone who missed by over a minute and they accepted his application and let him in. He then proceeded to BQ at Boston by 30 minutes! He belonged there. You have nothing to lose.

• mrinertia Pro 1,310 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 8, 2007 5:08 PM (in response to arc918)

quote:

Southern Man

I'm still a long, long way off from my first BQ, but I just wanted to take a moment to say that you obviously have a lot of respect for this sport and Boston as a special event as well as a lot of integrity.

Apr 19, 2006
    12. Dec 8, 2007 6:12 PM (in response to arc918)

A couple of notes:

I am not special in any sort of sense of integrity. It is a personal choice. I don't begrudge anybody who applies to get in on a near miss. I personally am much more interested in qualifying for Boston than I am in running it. If I do qualify I will probably run it once, but I'm not much on large races.

When I had my near miss at Steamtown I was in the locker room with Michael Wardian. He had missed his OT qualifier by something like :22. I not sure of the exact number. We commiserated a little bit but he just shrugged and said, "I'll have to run faster next time." A far more important qualifier than mine. I feel the same way.

Southern Man

----

• How we Run Rookie 66 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Dec 8, 2007 7:19 PM (in response to arc918)

I missed by 3 seconds and didn't ask for a waiver either. Still have not qualified 18 months later. Next try will be in May and I get 5 more minutes. The downside is now I'm an old man!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...