Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2038 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 2, 2008 11:30 AM by CHRlSTlNA RSS
nocknee Rookie 127 posts since
Dec 14, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 8, 2007 7:14 PM

hamstring strength

I probably know the answer to this question, but do I really have to strengthen my hamstring muscle? For some reason I love working my quads, but hate doing the hams.

• Richard21142 Legend 769 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Dec 9, 2007 9:20 AM (in response to nocknee)
    Re: hamstring strength

The quads and hamstring work together.  If the hamstring is much weaker than the quad, it can't keep up and the result is an injury.   The number I seen the most is that the hamstring should be 70% as strong as the quads.

• Tchuck Rookie 552 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Dec 20, 2007 10:39 PM (in response to nocknee)

Should stay in balance. Should be a 3:2 ratio of strength ideally. For myself, I am exactly in balance. Can do 15-17 reps on leg extension at 210# and 15-17 reps on leg curl at 140#. If one does a lot of squats, especially heavy, you become out of balance. Walking lunges with strong push off of the heel (with toe up) each step is a balanced exercise (still more quads though) if you don't have access to equipment. Also, is has similarities to the running motion. One of my favorites.

----

Todd[/URL" target="_blank">

[http://This message has been edited by Tchuck (edited Dec-10-2007).|http://This message has been edited by Tchuck (edited Dec-10-2007).]

• RunForFun001 Pro 626 posts since
    Jan 25, 2007
    3. Dec 10, 2007 11:16 AM (in response to nocknee)

nocknee -

Tchuck is a student of weight lifting and running - I would  listen to his advice.

• fredurie Legend 1,895 posts since
    Aug 21, 2002
    4. Dec 10, 2007 11:20 AM (in response to nocknee)

An HK guru told me last week that many knee problems in
    younger runners were caused by weak hamstrings.

Dec 14, 2007
    6. Dec 10, 2007 1:29 PM (in response to nocknee)

Deadlift is a suitable exercise for a runner but one I would not recommend for most as you really need correct form to prevent potential risk of injury. One leg squat or lunges (with proper form) would be recommended by me.

----

• dculp Rookie 11 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    7. Dec 11, 2007 10:04 AM (in response to nocknee)

With leg extensons and curls, I usually do my first two of three sets one leg at a time. My rationale is to avoid overcompensation of a stronger leg over the weaker when both are lifting together. Any validity to this?

quote:

Originally posted by Tchuck:

Deadlift is a suitable exercise for a runner but one I would not recommend for most as you really need correct form to prevent potential risk of injury. One leg squat or lunges (with proper form) would be recommended by me.

Dec 14, 2007
    8. Dec 12, 2007 9:42 AM (in response to nocknee)

Yes, one leg curls/extensions are great to do. Also, gives you an idea if one leg is weaker than the other. If you have a pulled muscle, this is the way to determine just how much damage has occurred in quad/hamstring when comparing to strong leg.

----

• CHRlSTlNA Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    10. Dec 23, 2007 9:27 AM (in response to fredurie)

Fredurie said:

"An HK guru told me last week that many knee problems in younger runners were caused by weak hamstrings"

I have knee issues as well and I was told that it could possibly be from weak quads. Anyone know which weak muscle (ham or quad) can potentially lead to knee problems.

Dec 14, 2007
    11. Dec 30, 2007 4:38 PM (in response to CHRlSTlNA)

NOcknee,

Your hamstrings come into play on lunges. I believe the best way to activate more of hamstring vs. quad is to take a fuller stride and keep heel down/toe up and push hard from heel.

Christina,

Women have greater liklihood of knee issue because of greater Q angle (angle from hip going down to knee i.e. knee more inside hip than with men). Your best bet is to strengthen both quads and hamstrings. Functional core movements like squats, lunges are awesome and you can mix in some isolated leg curls for hamstrings and quad if you wish for balance. 3:2 ration of quad to hamstring is ideal.

• CHRlSTlNA Rookie 6 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    12. Jan 2, 2008 11:30 AM (in response to Tchuck)

Tchuck,

Thanks for the info. I never even considered the Q angle being an issue but it makes perfect sense. I'll definitely use your hamestring/quad strengthening ideas.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...