Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1063 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jun 27, 2010 7:49 AM by urun2me
Sara_smiles Amateur 11 posts since
Jul 18, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 26, 2010 8:45 AM

I did it! First 5K this morning!

I'm only on week 6 of the C25K program, but I threw caution to the wind and gave it a shot! And I didn't let a sinus/ear infection stop me either!

I walked more than I wanted to, but it was still only about 10 minutes total (okay, maybe 12). However, 6 weeks ago I could NOT imagine being able to run 5K - even with walking breaks! Still waiting for my official time, but it was around 40:04. Just ahead of the 5 1/2 year old girl who ran it with her mom! LOL! It was great fun to watch them and it kept me focused on the example I'm setting for my own girls! AND my son, of course. All of whom were at the finish line waving and cheering! I even managed to find the energy to really run HARD the last few hundred yards to really show them what Mom can do!

I can't tell you how good I feel today!

And for reference, yesterday I heard that it was the year anniversary of Michael Jackson's death. I remember being on the treadmill at the gym, watching the news that day - 235 lbs (I'm 5' 4"), size 22/24, tired and in pain all the time, and huffing and puffing trying to WALK. A year later, this is how I started my day! I'm down to 190, a size 14 and can outrun my kids! So if you're at the beginning of your journey, or have reached a point where you've lost your motivation, know that it's WORTH IT! EVERY minute, EVERY mile, EVERY drop of sweat honors that beautiful body you've been blessed with! Use it well and just. keep. going!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...