Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

2165 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jul 5, 2010 12:47 PM by aprilcregg
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 7, 2010 1:06 PM

Villa Park 5K Reviews

Share your experiences with the Villa Park 5K below Back to event details page.

• California Cruiser John Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 2, 2008
    1. Jun 7, 2010 1:06 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Villa Park 5K Reviews

This is a fantastic race.  It is flat and has chip timing.  Age group awards are 5 deep and in five year age increments up to 99 years.

• MTBJOSH Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 22, 2007
    2. Jun 27, 2010 1:41 PM (in response to Guest )

Nicely organized and just a fun time. Definitely has a local feel which is more fun than race time. Well done!

Thanks,

Josh

• Diwestmann Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    3. Jun 27, 2010 2:08 PM (in response to Guest )

Great race and well organized--lines moved quickly. Nice run through the streets of Villa Park and back to the High School.  The Chip timing was a real plus.  Happy to participate in the progressive marathon that supported the library.  Maybe a few more bathrooms close to the start would be beneficial.

• 18mile Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 8, 2010
    4. Jun 28, 2010 7:13 AM (in response to Guest )

Good run. The course was interesting - a slight uphill first half to get the blood moving, then a long, gradual downhill with a flat finish. I second the motion on more bathrooms, but it was a nice race.

• Trisha Back Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 6, 2007
    5. Jun 28, 2010 8:35 AM (in response to Guest )

Would love to support more community races!  Great, fast course...  We'll see you next year.

• Marie T Ortiz Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    6. Jun 28, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to Guest )

So much fun!!  I run sooo many races and it was nice to run with such a great group.  Course was a blast and LOVED the slight downhill (something to look forward to)   Thought it was wonderful that medals went 5!!! deep in age groups.  More recognition for more individuals.  Would DEFINITELY do this again!!  Thanks for putting together such an awesome race!!

Marie

• Olmeda1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Aug 22, 2009
    7. Jun 28, 2010 8:29 PM (in response to Guest )

Wish I could say that this Race was 'Well-Organized' ......... But it WASN'T

I traveled a Long Distance to Participate in this Event. I Registered EARLY and was looking forward to competing. Unfortunately, that didn't matter much to the Organizers? I Registered with a Request for a Race Shirt in Size LARGE and, as I said, I Registered Fairly Early in the Sign-Up Process. When I went to 'Check-In' and get my Bib Number, Shirt and Goody-Bag, I was told that they only had XX-Large Shirts Available because they had run out of the other sizes ??? I thought THAT was Why we were asked to submit our shirt size during Registration? Next, when they started the Race, there was MUCH confusion as to whether or not it was actually starting which made for inaccurate timing, in my opinion? Also, it would have been Nice if they had a 'Separate' Race for children under 10. Having to try to maintain my Pace while 'Dodging' various kids on the Course was a little frustrating, to say the least. Add to that the Lack of Adequate Restrooms for an Event of this Size and the Fact that there wasn't very many Sponsor Booths present. I've Participated in, at least, 75 Events All Over Southern California the Past 3 Years and I'd have to Honestly Rate this Event as One of the Least Organized. Hopefully this was just a 'One-Time' Oversight on the part pf the Organizing Committee and they will put on a better race next time? I DID like the Choice of Course, though. So I'm liable to give it another go next year. Just ONE-Man's Opinion. Hope it's OK ??

• Jeff Zonick Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 13, 2007
    8. Jul 1, 2010 4:48 PM (in response to Guest )

This was the worst organized race I've ever been involved in.  My first for Villa Park, and definitely my last.  The only saving grace was that the race was timed.  OLD school square blocks that had to be affixed using garbage bag ties, but timed nonetheless.

Even though I registered the day of the race, I got there promptly at 6:30, when they opened.

1) They only had XXLARGE and MEDIUM size shirts.  Hmm.  Didn't feel like ordering ANY extra L for late registrants, did ya?  FAIL.

2) Their "inaugural" progressive marathon table was a single card table unattended.  I had to wait a HALF HOUR before someone actually manned it.  In the meantime nobody knew how to register for it and I was told to look for someone "in a colorful shirt".  FAIL.

3) The PA was popping in and out badly during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner.  Geeze people.  FAIL.

4) No mention of medals after the race.  About 15 minutes after my finish I finally saw someone carry a box of them and asked questions.  If you came in the top 200 you got a medal, if you placed 1-5 in your age division you got one, and if you ran the Progressive you got one.  They only had the Progressive and age groups.  The top 200 medals "didn't come in, so you pick them up at City Hall".  ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND?  FAIL.

5) So I email the only email address on the flyer and ask about the City Hall thing and the race results.  No online results, but he'll ask someone for me.  Sending an email a day every day for five days and he sends me to a website that doesn't exist.  MAJOR, MAJOR FAIL.

If I paid $15 and got this treatment I'd accept it.  But $40 for a 5K and you run out of shirts and medals, are you KIDDING ME?  If I could rate negative stars I would.  STAY AWAY.

• Marie T Ortiz Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    9. Jul 1, 2010 8:40 PM (in response to Guest )

You know, I don't mean to go back and forth on somebody else's opinion, because everyone has a right to their opinion.  That being said, this was a "usually" small race that attracted quite a jump in numbers of runners.  I have run more than a lot of races, including the Boston Marathon several times, and guess what???? every race has it's "glitches".

I think it would be wonderful if, instead of finding out things to complain about, that we focus on the positive!!

1)  Not many 5K races have Male and Females "technical" running shirts!!!  Although you would love to have the "right" sizes for everyone, keep in mind this race grew significantly and had many "day of" registrants.

2)  They gave the opportunity for a "progressive" marathon, with medals, encouraging individuals to run more and stay healthy.

3)  They went 5, yes 5, deep in the age divisions thus recognizing more individuals than usual in the race

4)  Yes, although there was a glitch, they also recognized the first 200 finishers , with medals, and THAT is very rare in a 5K race.  It was the first time one of my children actually received a medal for "achieving" something in a 5K.  How great and encouraging is that for a young runner!!

I say, GREAT JOB....Go Forth and Race Happy!!

• California Cruiser John Rookie 4 posts since
    Oct 2, 2008
    10. Jul 2, 2010 10:26 AM (in response to Guest )

Started on time

The video of the race shows the mass of runners lined up for the start gun (actually an air horn) and that the race did start on time.

Chip time

Prime Time chip timing was used.  One reviewer seemed to think he had a time penalty for getting into the race line-up late.  With chip timing the race starts for you when you cross the start line timing mat and the race ends for you when you cross the finish line timing mat.  That is the beauty of chip timing.  Chip timing encourages the slower runners and walkers to start in the back of the pack because they know that they will not suffer a time penalty for starting in the back.

Loud speaker failure

The loud speaker system did fail.  Next year we plan to have loud speakers provided by Oberon Productions (714) 315-1543 a professional company.

Race Shirts

Race shirts are ordered weeks in advance.  Therefore estimating the number people and the shirt sizes of those people who register on race day and in the last few days before the race is difficult.  Women were 67% of the runners.  This is the first year that this race had shirt sizes for women (which they seemed to appreciate).

Awards

Because of the loud speaker system failure, we could not announce that the awards were being distributed.  Most people did see that awards were being distributed and they did get their age group and progressive marathon awards. That the finisher awards were missing (but since have been found) was an embarrassment to the race committee and a severe disappointment to many runners.  To those for whom we have valid addresses, we are mailing them the awards to which they are entitled but did not get on race day.  The awards were five deep!  That awards are being given five deep is unusual for races and was much appreciated by many of the runners.

Race results

Race results are available at   www.ResultsByPrimeTime.com

Port-a-potties

For June 25, 2011 we will double the number of port-a-potties.

Race Director

• aprilcregg Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 28, 2009
    11. Jul 5, 2010 12:47 PM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the experience.  I particpated in the progressive marathon and found that it was a great way to get in shape and lose few pounds in the process.  All that being said, one of the reasons I signed up for the for the progressive marathon and not the regular 5k was so I could pick up my medal at the end.  I was pretty disapointed after registering early and still not being able to pick up my medal because someone either miscounted the number of medals at the end of just didn't order enough...hopefully this event will be more organized next year...and my medal will be mailed to me soon...

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...