Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4825 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2010 6:51 PM by Nikki107613
Nikki107613 Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2010 11:43 AM

Morton's Neuroma Post-Surgery

Hi, I recently had my neuroma removed surgically because of the continued pain I was having since October 2008. I had tried everything from cortisone injections to cryotherapy but I was still having pain (occassionally very painful). I wore metatarsal pads in all of my shoes but they would get worn down and eventually caused pain until I inserted new ones. As a division 1 lacrosse player, I decided to get this surgery so that I wouldn't have any pain during season. It has been a week and a couple days since my surgery and I haven't experienced any pain other than some throbbing after walking with my special surgical shoe on for a prolonged period of time. I am starting to wonder if the pain I was experiencing prior will disappear once it is healed. Also, I am trying to determine how long it will take me to walk in a normal shoe and then how long it will take me before I can run/do any sort of exercise. I was wondering if anyone that had this surgery could let me know how their experience went after the surgery and how long it took them to do any type of physical activity. Thank you, it is greatly appreciated!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    1. Jul 7, 2010 11:14 PM (in response to Nikki107613)
    Re: Morton's Neuroma Post-Surgery

If you haven't already, examine this heavily used thread on the subject...   http://community.active.com/thread/35089/mortons-neuroma-argh/0/0

In addition, I'll add my two cents worth here. As you can tell from the above link, Morton's Neuroma and associated Morton's Foot have afflicted many of us runners, and also resulted in many methods for dealing with it. Not as well understood by folks in or out of medicine as they should be, the foot conditions decribed by Dr. Dudley Morton over half-century ago still take many an athlete by surprise when they can be so easily avoided with a little preventive care.

In your case, the modifications to your shoes may have been well-intended and suited to your foot structure, but were clearly not robust enough for the active sport of Lacrosse. When the inevitable neuroma developed, your choice of surgery over inactivity was understandable, but it was also the beginning of what may turn out to be a long and winding road. Removal of a neuroma from an active person is a good indication more neuromas will develop in time as long as the cause is still there. My guess is the constant lateral movement in the tight-fitting shoes you must wear pretty much guarantees this.

While my marathoning nearly ended with the development of a painful neuroma, I managed to control it with taping to space my toes, looser footwear and 1st metatarsal pads. I've had good success since but as a runner, I only have to concern myself with straight-ahead movement. Your intense involvement with a more chaotic sport would suggest a more professional approach is called for. I believe that if you cannot have a special sport shoe made, you should consider an over-width shoe fastened by an anti-slip lacing method, taping between the toes and a custom minimally supportive sport orthotic made specifically for the Morton condition you have. If you can't find a way to prevent your metatarsals from banging into each other, you can unfortunately look forward to a repeat of your surgery and associated risks in the future.

As far as a normal shoe goes, I would avoid them. The surgery was to remove the neuroma, not the cause for it. Regarding recovery times, I would use the many 1st-person case histories from the above link and others available via the top-bar "search cool running community" tool as a guide.

Good luck!

• KellyMetcalf Rookie 1 posts since
    May 12, 2008
    2. Jul 9, 2010 6:22 PM (in response to Nikki107613)
    Re: Morton's Neuroma Post-Surgery

Hi, I first felt my neuroma in september of 09. I had neuroma surgery on April 27th of this year. It was a very painful for the first 2 weeks. I was told it would be about 4 weeks, but after reading many many neuroma discussion threads, I knew it would be about 10 weeks at least. After 1 1/2 - 2 weeks I could limp around. At 4 weeks I could walk, but there was a large lump on the ball of my foot that was very painful and uncomfortable and I could only wear running shoes without laces (foot was still swollen). At 5 weeks, the lump started going down a little more each day. I was able to run without pain for the first time on July 6th, which was 10 weeks from the surgery. My only advice is do not rush the recovery. Just accept that you have to take the time off. If you don't, you run the risk of complications that will force you to have more problems. Just be sure to stretch your ankles every day, if you don't, the achilles tendon gets really tight...and you do not want that. Good Luck.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...