Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5384 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2010 7:06 PM by sitbubusit RSS 1 2 Previous Next
sitbubusit Amateur 14 posts since
Jun 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2010 11:54 AM

What Drives You?

So after overcoming my stress fractures I am returning to my 10 mile training 14 pounds heavier and 117 days away from race day. I am a lot slower and I don't have a lot drive after the second mile, so I figured to leave an open tread to ask "What Drives You to Run?" I don't know what I missing. I try not to dread on the fact that I could have continue have continue cross training to prohibit the weight gain, but dreading on it won't change the fact that it feels like I'm running with a sack of potatoes in my hands as I try to breathe through a scuba mask. Maybe hearing what drives others I could focus my eyes back toward the road and continue to drive these miles out.

• 48starter Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 30, 2010
    1. Jun 28, 2010 12:49 PM (in response to sitbubusit)
    Re: What Drives You?

Someone asked me last week what enjoyment I find in running.... This created a small crisis since it was one of my low moments in movitation.  But reflecting on that question, the following things come to mind about what I get out of running:  1)  Health-the promise of a stronger heart and body into later years; 2)  Strength to endure the pain.   3)  The sense of accomplishment. And, 4)  I do not have any friends to run with, but when I train and go to a race there is a sense of community and connection with those other runners I want more of.  That's it.  Hang in there and train wisely.

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jun 28, 2010 1:24 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

Sense of Accomplishment

Fitness

Stress Relief

The order of priority depends on the day.  Lately, stress relief is topping the list.  Running is a way to escape for a little while and accomplish something positive at the same time.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    3. Jun 28, 2010 4:19 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

When ever my motivation gets low I try to remember my mentor.  He was my old track coach who passed away just before the start of my senior season.  When ever it gets really tough I hear him in the back of my mind telling me to "C'MON!" 

Also, I try to remember why I started running in the first place and what it has done for me.  Think about the feeling competition gives you, think about how much healthier you are because you run and how that makes your loved ones feel, think about how it feels when you struggle through your workout but finish and know that you gave it your all.

The physical stuff will get better as you get back into your rhythm, just do your best to stay head strong as well.

Good luck and GO GET IT!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• nikkicarr1 Legend 314 posts since
    Apr 28, 2009
    4. Jun 28, 2010 4:56 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

Stress relief /refocusing my mind

feeling as if I am doing "something"

My running gives my kids a role model I know I would like them to look up vs other athletes performers etc

I get to prove something to myself everyday by stepping outside what was once my comfort zone and push myself every day to do better because letting myself down is not an option.

I run for me and only me because nobody else cares if I lace up and head out the door or if I decide to sit on my couch

http://www.active.com/donate/PawsoverPittsburgh/nikkicarr

COMPLETED

2009: Opperation Troop Appreciation 5k oct 29:44 (first race), Greensburg Turkey Trot 5k nove 31:09

2010: On Deck for the Cure sprint 1mi 1-4 9:00, Race for Grace 5k 3-20 32:11, Yough River Council 1/2 marathon 4-10 2:16:39 (goal for 1st 1/2 2:25) 3rd in AG, Pittsburgh Komen Race for the Cure 5k 5-9 30:08, Jerry Mahar Jr Parkinsons Awareness 5k 6-5-10 29:28 6th in AG

Las Vegas Rock N Roll Marathon 12-5 5:01:?? FIRST FULL MARATHON (with calf tear)

2011: Race for Grace 5k 3-19 30:56, Alpha Fitness 5k 4-9 28:57 8th in AG, Pittsburgh Half Marathon 5-14 2:17:52, 9/11 Heroes Run 5k 9-11 27:34 (PR) 5th in AG, Pittsburgh ZooZilla 5k 10-2 28:03, Greenburg 5k Turkey Trot 11-24 28:35

NEXT PLANNED EVENT: Race for Grace 5k 3-31-2012, Pittsburgh Marathon 5-6-2012, Great Race 10K 9-30-2012

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    5. Jun 29, 2010 6:29 AM (in response to sitbubusit)

Totally agree with what all previous posters have said so I won't repeat.  One thing I read a long time ago and it's so true.  The runs you really don't want to do, or are unmotivated to do in the end are some of the most satisfying runs you'll do.  I always try to remind myself of that when I just don't feel like pushing through a run and it always helps me get through.  I'm always really glad I did.  Good luck with your training.  Someone posted another thread a while back that said "Running is hard" and it's true.  Getting through the really hard runs takes strength and detemination as well as dedication to a really fun and rewarding sport.  That's what drives me!  Hang in there you'll get through it!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

• Runnergal262 Legend 514 posts since
    Sep 1, 2009
    6. Jun 29, 2010 7:51 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

Really my first thing that drives me is that once when I was 8, I was told that due to my asthma a) I would never be a runner and b) never run a marathon, and I have proven both statements absolutely wrong.  Many times for a) and twice so far for b).  Hoping one day I can do more than two, just haven't gotten there yet.  I think you truly need to want to marathon train, and I simply haven't wanted to do that again, yet.

Two, I love to be outside and running, it is where I have alone time from the world and am totally and completely free, I can think about things and come to terms with them in my own way. All the cares of the world melt away generically pretty early on, and there is just me, the road and my shoes left along with my tunes.

Three, it is a perfect stress reliever, no matter what is going on with my life, there is almost nothing a six mile or so run can't solve for me.  Better on the road than still pent up inside my body, right?

Four- why not?  Who says I can't.  Only me!  For an asthmatic, I can kick some serious keester out there.  I may not be the winner of a race..boy if that happened there is something wrong with the timer... but I certainly won't be last and I may well surprise you too.

• crl8686 Legend 1,293 posts since
    Nov 11, 2007
    7. Jun 29, 2010 10:58 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

I'm driven about 90% by internal motivation, similar to what a number of other posters have already mentioned: a bit of time all to myself, where I can be at peace with no responsibilities and no action items, stress relief, the feeling of positive accomplishment, great way to start the day doing something good for myself. No one is telling me to go out and run - especially at the crack of dawn when everyone else I know is still asleep. I do it on my own because I want to, and I look forward to it.

The remaining approx. 10% is external motivation. I like to race, primarily 5K's and 10K's. I like the excitement of a race environment and the opportunity to challenge myself, to push myself as hard as I reasonably can. I like the feeling of speed (and yes, dripping sweat) with the wind in my ears, the sense of pride, and the excitement of crossing the finish line. And I even like to collect the T-shirts and other race trinkets.

In recent years I've also been driven by getting older. I just turned 54, and have watched many friends and acquaintances turn from runners to former runners for a variety of reasons, some of which I understand and some of which I don't. Regardless. I don't want to be one of them. I want to maintain excellent health and be out there running for many more years.

2014 highlights...

@ 5K: Ontario Mills Run, Ontario, CA, 25:19

Angels Baseball Foundation 5K, Anaheim, CA, 24:15

@ 10K: LA Chinatown Firecracker Run, Los Angeles, CA, 51:44

Great Race of Agoura - Old Agoura 10K, Agoura Hills, CA, 50:31

• Mile2go Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 30, 2010
    8. Jun 30, 2010 10:51 AM (in response to sitbubusit)

What drives me to run? I agree with the previous posters and will contribute one item, positivity. When I've completed a run, after I was sure I couldn't, for whatever reason...the world looks just that little bit better. Maybe I can do that marathon in my BQ time.

Hang in there, you'll make it!

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    9. Jun 30, 2010 11:38 AM (in response to Mile2go)

I started mostly to spend time with my daughter.  I always wanted her to play sports but she danced.  Then in high school she ran cross country/track and was good.  I started running then, we do races together all the time.  She starts college in Aug.  I ran now because I love the running community, the healthy lifestyle and love being in shape.

• LeSamourai Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    10. Jun 30, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

Welcome back. I, too, am just coming back from a stress fracture. I've been out twice, for short distances, and I'm shocked at how much ground I've lost. Your potatoes-and-scuba-mask analogy really resonates. My legs are weak, my lungs are gone. By the end of my run, I'm shuffling. (It doesn't help that temperature and humidity are at their cruelest.) I feel like absolute crap. But I am tremendously grateful to be back out there. I know that I am in for several more weeks of this before I get close to where I was. I am driven by the sense I get of being completely in tune with my body and my surroundings, that rhythm, that trancelike state. I am driven by the way I feel the other 23 hours of the day. I am driven by being able to have another damn doughnut.

Be careful. Put any goals you once had for that race out of your mind. Don't do too much to fast. Not running sucks. The most miserable run of your life is better than desperately wanting to run and not being able to. Let's not do this again, eh?

• xc29min Amateur 15 posts since
    Dec 26, 2007
    11. Jun 30, 2010 2:49 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

I feel better emotionally, physically, and spiritually when I'm on some running schedule.  I can handle the world better it seems when I run regularly.  I like being "fit".

I'm 54 now.  I ran cross country in college ran road races for many years after that.  I just stayed with it from that time.  I continue to have a "passion" for running.  Run is still fun for me. I believe running should be fun and free.

My suggestion, try just getting out there and running.  Don't worry about miles, speed, breathing, or distances.  Just run easy, or hard, whatever...  You might want to think about good form however.  Do this for about 4 to 8 weeks.   Then see how you feel and maybe start a short structured running program. 

I get in a slump every now and then.  I have even stopped running completely here and there.  Breaks are good and much needed by runners.

One of my favorite quotes:

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement." - Steve Prefontaine

Peace "Long May You Run"

"Peace" Long May You Run

• TIPPET 7 Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008
    12. Jun 30, 2010 2:44 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

I love the health part of running, but there is something about getting up in the morning and listening to the birds chirp and watching the sun rise.  I am about 20 pounds overweight and started running about 2 months ago and I have lost about 15 lbs.  My motivation is seeing larger people, not trying to be rude here, and saying to myself, "I will never look like that again"

• Lauri1959 Amateur 16 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    13. Jul 1, 2010 3:39 AM (in response to xc29min)

xc29min wrote:

I feel better emotionally, physically, and spiritually when I'm on some running schedule.  I can handle the world better it seems when I run regularly.  I like being "fit".

I'm 54 now. 

Peace "Long May You Run"

I feel the same way. I think that running makes everything better.  I will add that I am 50 now, and  I recently lost 30 lbs. I want to be "fit" and I decided in January that I dont' want to be a "fat old lady." LOL!!!

I recently had my behind checked out by a 20 year old guy which totally made my week.  ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    14. Jul 3, 2010 7:01 PM (in response to sitbubusit)

That's a good question and something I ask myself from time to time.  I remember after a back injury about 3 years ago it took me over a month of painful running to finally overcome the soreness and get back into it.  The daily frustration of running with pain made me wonder why I kept lacing up my shoes.

A lot of things motivate me to continue training at a high level, especially seeing great workouts and races from the pros.  They often live unglamorous lives and struggle with the same difficulties us "normal" runners do, so it's inspiring to see them train so hard.

I put together a list of workouts (http://bit.ly/9M6b7M) that inspire me to head out the door every day.  Cheers, - Fitz.

Strength Running
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points