Skip navigation

2846 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Jun 30, 2010 1:13 PM by JBC1214 RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Jimmy_D_Jarhead We're Not Worthy 4,477 posts since
Dec 15, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 28, 2010 6:50 PM

Why do you run so much?

This is one question that really bothers me.  I mean I don't ask others why they smoke so much, why they eat so much, why they sit around so much, why they fish so much, or anything else one might do.  Why is it that those who don't just can't seem to understand or accept those of us that do?  I have been asked this so many times the past couple of weeks and for the life of me it is starting to get old.  I normally don't get tired of answering this but too many have said things that very uneducated people say like you are going to blow your knees out, all that running can't be good for you (really it CAN'T) and other things.  I suppose I am getting tired of it because it is as if though they want me to quit so I don't make them look bad or because they are envious.  I run first and foremost for myself and my not yet born grandchildren ( I never really had grand parents that I knew real well).  The second reason I run is to try and motivate others into living a healthier and more productive lifestyle.  I am just venting as some of us need to do from time to time.  Sorry to be a complainer in this instance.

Jimmy

This place is like home!!!!

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    1. Jun 28, 2010 7:11 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)
    Re: Why do you run so much?

A very justified complaint, Jimmy.  Often said by people that sit a lot.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    2. Jun 28, 2010 7:12 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

A lot of us get these comments, though my friends and relatives seem to more accepting than most.  Some of it I think is honest curiosity/concern - they just don't have any idea about the benefits and possible risks.  Some of it is an inability to accept easily what is out of the ordinary.  Running as part of sports is great, even football which clearly has greater hazards.  But running for the sake of running?  You must be nuts!

Run on!

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,389 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jun 28, 2010 7:15 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

BTW, one thing that has come from the Facebook side of things is discovering that quite a few of my nieces and nephews run.  So I think it is becoming more accepted.

Len

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    5. Jun 29, 2010 2:39 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

There really is peer-reviewed data to back up the assertion that the more you run, the healthier you will be: http://circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/107/1/e2

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,482 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    6. Jun 29, 2010 4:52 AM (in response to DaveVause)

I am never asked by other runners/bikers/swimmers.  It is the others that ask, people want you to be like them, healthy or unhealty.

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    7. Jun 29, 2010 6:08 AM (in response to BOSNPM)

Jimmy,

For me, it has always been about doing things on my own terms. For 19 years, I despised running because the Corps made me run twice a year for score, but I was an avid weight lifter/body builder because that was for me. Plus, I was just a knucklehead who wanted to prove something to the Corps about big guys. Now, after retiring from the Corps, I run for me - the enjoyment and the challenge (and the fact that I want to be around for a while to enjoy my grandson). No one but me cares about my time for the 5K, 1/2 Marathon or Marathon. The only person I need to impress is me; the only person I care to impress is me.  I also get the questions, but they are more in line with why would a big guy want to put himself through all the running.  Quite frankly, the answer is that if they haven't experienced the emotions of finishing their first marathon, then they will never understand.

You also get to meet some really neat people, especially on the message boards.

Chris

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    9. Jun 29, 2010 8:33 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Vent away, anytime.  And I'll have some Shiner Bock on ice at the end of this years MCM.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    10. Jun 29, 2010 6:32 PM (in response to CWCastelli)

"Because I don't have to"

"Because I like it"

"Have you seen the finishline yet?"

"Our team has enough sprinters/throwers/hurdlers/...."

"The dogs won't let me stop"

"I lost a bet"

"I'm winning a bet"

"Do you know how many coins there are along this road?"

"It's easy when you're a vampire"

"My brakes went out"

"I just LOVE to breathe"

"I'm testing pacemakers/insoles/athletic shoes/skin lubricants/sports drinks"

"I'm saving turtles/puppies/possums"

"I love fresh roadkill"

"It lets me enjoy more ice cream/cookies/pizza/beer/pie........."

"What do you know about the Coriolis effect?"

"Eli's coming!"

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Jun 29, 2010 7:02 PM (in response to Immer treu)

YEAH, Immer!!!!

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Jun 30, 2010 8:22 AM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

Jimmy - Your post brought up some issues for me. I have found that there are some people out there that just don't understand and really are curious. There are others, though, that make comments that are mean. For example, I've heard the usual "How far did you run today?" and my reply "17 miles" and the retort "What the hell did you do that for? That is why we have cars!", or, "We're going to Aunt Jenny's house, get ready to eat some tree bark and drink soy milk" (as opposed to the fast food my neices and nephews are being fed 2-4 x week).   The worst, though, was when my brother-in-law told me I was much to skinny from running and that hugging me was like hugging a little boy. WTH?

I run because I would go insane if I didn't. It is my antidepressant, my girlfriend time, my spiritual time, my confidence builder. I love how my body feels like it is humming when I finish a run! I try to be an ambassador for running and focus on the positive.

Thanks for venting, it's nice to know others go through similar experiences!!

I will run for cupcakes!!

• TylerDurdinUMD Pro 64 posts since
    Jun 23, 2010
    13. Jun 30, 2010 9:00 AM (in response to HALOjen)

Tree bark and soy milk...  That's great!  My favorite cereal (Go Lean Crunch) has been called "Horse Food".  My brother in law meant it as 'why would you eat that... that's only fit for horses?', yet to be honest, have you ever seen a horse's legs?  Man... I'd kill for quads like that!  Bring on the horse food!

I've found most people ask the "Why do you run?" because they just don't get it.  They see running as pure pain, agony, torture.  I use it as a chance to get on my soapbox and say "try slowing down, easing up, and not racing to the finish every time.  You'll find a pace that's comfortable, and soon, you'll learn to enjoy it."

But yes, there are those who are mean about it.  Who mock others for trying to be in shape.  I like to run up a flight of stairs past them at the end of a hard day, watch them lag and look at me like "how can you still be going?", then I'll say something like "Man, I think I might go for a run later."

2009 Pascack Valley Sprint Triathlon - 1:20:17

2010 Pacers Half Marathon - 2:09:37

2010 NJ State Triathlon (Olympic) - 3:33:19

Best little forum on the Internet:  http://www.vaughnripley.com/forum/

• LeSamourai Amateur 12 posts since
    Jun 16, 2010
    14. Jun 30, 2010 12:40 PM (in response to Jimmy_D_Jarhead)

I guess the answer would depend on the spirit in which the question is asked. If it is asked in an adversarial manner (like, "what the hell is wrong with you?"), then you gotta figure that it's just sour grapes. You're dealing with someone who does little or nothing to keep fit and probably feels guilty, not to mention physically lousy. They're trying to make you feel bad about being in shape? How pathetic is that? Maybe a good response would be to shrug and say, "I like it." (Even better: "I'm good at it.")

Now, if the person asking is genuinely curious, you can list your top five reasons (because, of course, to list them all would take too long). You know, you can't rule out that maybe the sour-grapes guy really does want to know what the big deal is, but his ego won't let him ask about it without coming off all condenscending. Tell him to buy some shoes and get out there.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...