Skip navigation

1327 Views 10 Replies Latest reply: Jul 17, 2010 3:19 PM by Paul Labbe RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 27, 2010 6:18 AM

Americana Festival 5K Reviews

Share your experiences with the Americana Festival 5K below Back to event details page.

• Nashing Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 27, 2010
    1. Jun 27, 2010 6:18 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Americana Festival 5K Reviews

Nice course - gentle changes in elevation - tree lined streets - with spectators (who are waiting for the parade) cheer you all the way on!

• Raeskates Rookie 333 posts since
    Sep 30, 2007
    2. Jul 6, 2010 10:59 AM (in response to Guest )

Good organization as usual, good volunteers and great to have the people waiting for the parade to cheer you on.  I like last years route better, That last section of lower hill right after the turn around about killed me,I really enjoyed running around the track at the end,  I also liked last years women's shirts better, even though this one is probably the 3rd or 4th best shirt of all the races I have run. I liked being able to pick up my registration packet the day before too,

• ARachael Rookie 3 posts since
    May 15, 2010
    3. Jul 6, 2010 11:41 AM (in response to Guest )

It's very helpful to be able to pick up the packets the day before the race, thank you.  The course this year was challenging but the spectators cheering you on are great!  The water after the race was not cold and the chips didn't work so we don't have accurate times.  Overall, a little disappointing but I'll give them another shot next year.

• Brad.wiseman Rookie 6 posts since
    Jun 8, 2008
    4. Jul 6, 2010 2:47 PM (in response to Guest )

I usually love the Americana 5 K, however this year I had some challenges due to the heat, I got sick after I crossed the finish line and right in front of paramedics, not one asked if I was okay. I also was disappointed in the chips not working and water not being cold. It would have been nice to finish on the track, but that was out of their control!

• Frenchfry920 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jun 27, 2009
    5. Jul 6, 2010 3:42 PM (in response to Guest )

I was a bit disappointed at the spectators, on the way out I only heard one person cheering. On the way back the cheering picked up a little. The water volunteers were awesome though. It would be nice too if there was some entertainment along the route, music or something. I missed being able to run through the stadium. But overall it was a fun experience, I'll be back next year.

• fastrunner1994 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 1, 2008
    6. Jul 6, 2010 6:16 PM (in response to Guest )

Liked: Pick up the day before at Up and Running. Patience for my son who was one of the last two to cross the line at the end of the race.

Disliked: Better organization of the types/skills of the runners.  I got stuck behind slower runners who lined up at/near the front including walkers out of the gate (more of a runner problem than race problem but more could be done to make people more realistic).

Things no one can control- heat and humidity, fans cheering/not cheering, the track being resurfaced, the additional hill at the turn (although I will say that I definitely did not like it)

• dlh1070 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010
    7. Jul 6, 2010 6:34 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first time and I enjoyed it.   Took 5 minutes off my time from Holiday at Home 5k from last year (I am a beginner runner who is off and on).   Liked picking up pack a day ahead, but T shirts were awful color (orange for the 4th of July!) luckily was able to exchange for a nice, womans grey one.   Liked the crowd; didnt like so many hills!   Would do again for sure!

• doctorjsix Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 14, 2008
    8. Jul 7, 2010 3:41 AM (in response to Guest )

What's with orange t-shirts for a 4th of July run?  Also, ditch the cotton t-shirt and go with the wicking fabric.  Finally, how about opening up the showers in the high school so I can go straight to the parade/festival without stinking out my family all day.

On the plus side, chip timers are great, especially with a well attended race like this.

• ToastMatt Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 23, 2008
    9. Jul 7, 2010 3:38 PM (in response to Guest )

If I pay for timing and a T-Shirt, and I only get a T-Shirt, where does that leave me?  I stood at the back of the pack to avoid the numerous walkers, non-runners in the race (over 1,000 total) on a 1 lane road, probably waited 30 seconds to get to the start line, avoided the traffic of non-runners until 1/2 mile was gone, and then look for my time online.  Only to find out that the chips didn't register when taking off.  This was the ONLY reason I PAY to run this race.  I have plenty of cotton T-Shirts.  If the timing doesn't work, I have NO REASON to run in this race.

Ideas:  1) Get a timing system that works.  2) Start the race on the MAIN road so runners get a 3.1 mile race, not 2.5 miles by avoiding those that don't run, 3) better shirts 4) A timing system that works.  5) A gun at the start. 

With the 200,000 bucks this thing generates, I expect more.  I've run this race for at least 15 years...worst ever.

• Paul Labbe Rookie 3 posts since
    Oct 14, 2007
    10. Jul 17, 2010 3:19 PM (in response to Guest )

This 5K always a nice start to the Americana celebrations.....and crowds continue to grow....terrific participation by all ages, but would be nice to give a gentle reminder prior to beginning the race on running etiquette.....slower runners/walkers in the back, move to the right when walking, slowing, etc.   Looking forward to getting back on the track next year....and maybe more music, cheering along the way...suspect it was too hot for spectators to arrive early

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...