Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

5799 Views 24 Replies Latest reply: Jul 7, 2010 7:06 PM by sitbubusit Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • djsturtevant Amateur 16 posts since
    May 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 3, 2010 7:55 PM (in response to sitbubusit)
    Re: What Drives You?

Many things drive me.

1. Fitness

2. I just feel good after doing it (typically)

3. Improving my 5k time

4. It is my alone time. I strap on the iPod and just go, be it for 20 minutes or 120 minutes.  I love to workout but when I go to the gym and it isn't the same, I am surrounded by people and I am constantly looking for the next available piece of equipment or wondering if I am taking too much time with something.  When I run, my mind just flows.  I put very little thought into it, unless I need to time something like intervals or surges or something.

5. Stress relief.

Finally, I hope to use it as a tool to teach my son (who is all of 14 months right now) about setting goals, being patient, and achieving something.

• chadtibb Rookie 2 posts since
    Nov 22, 2009
    16. Jul 4, 2010 8:23 AM (in response to sitbubusit)

I love to race and I love to race well.  I despise the feeling after a poor race and thinking "if I had only trained more.."  So, even when the day to day grind of training, (as it sometimes feels) when the weather is less than ideal, or you're tired, or have other things to do, I think back to a bad race and I get out there to get some miles in.  And more times than not, one you get dressed and out on the roads you feel great.

In your case, injury recovery....I've been there, many a time.  I've endured several lower leg and foot stress fractures.  My first in college, I also gained weight, but mostly muscle since I used my extra time and energy in the weight room.  I tried to spend time on the bike or in the pool but I was easily bored by it.

The key is to come back slowly and listen to your body.  As runners, we are "tough" and often run through pain because we can and because most pain start out minor.  DONT DO IT.  Take it from me and may runners before me, when you feel a ding or nick, address it, rest, ice, figure out what is causing it.  A small step back, even though it is hard to accept is better than the GIANT step back that a serious future injury will be.

So remember this feeling of dread and unhappiness with being injured and think of it the next time you feel you can "run through" the pain.

I wish you luck in your training.

Run Smart, Run Far, Run Fast

http://brooklynrunning.wordpress.com

Chad Tibbetts

Co-President, Brooklyn Road Runners Club

Member, Brooklyn Triathlon Club

Blog

http://brooklynrunning.wordpress.com

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    17. Jul 4, 2010 9:18 AM (in response to chadtibb)

I look at most people my age (55) and older and think: "There's no way I'm letting myself be like that!".

• Errnestinne Amateur 36 posts since
    Jan 25, 2010
    18. Jul 4, 2010 7:43 PM (in response to DaveVause)

- PASSION

- Taking advantage of the Cali weather/nature

- Accomplishing goals

- Pure fun

- Endorphin rush/"Runners High"

i <3 to RUN

• Slow Baztard Amateur 19 posts since
    Dec 30, 2009
    19. Jul 5, 2010 12:17 AM (in response to sitbubusit)

Sometimes I run because I enjoy it, the rest of the time I run because I hate myself!

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    20. Jul 5, 2010 11:05 AM (in response to sitbubusit)

The small achievements whether it be pace, distance or placing top three and even a easy recovery is a lift.

• TIPPET 7 Pro 64 posts since
    Mar 25, 2008
    21. Jul 7, 2010 6:40 AM (in response to sitbubusit)

How long did it take you to heal from your stress fracture?

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points