Skip navigation

834 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 8, 2010 4:16 PM by Charlie!2 RSS
skirkwood Amateur 15 posts since
May 17, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 8, 2010 9:30 AM

Anyone else using MCM as back-up marathon/late training run?

Hello MCMer's ... first post here so I thought I would see if anyone is in the same boat as I am.

I'm training for a marathon in September as a first attempt at a BQ.  It's going to take a quantum leap in time from my last marathon, but it's the first one for which I've trained "all the way" (first marathon was first semester of law school and missed tons of runs but finished, second one got hurt but improved 20+ minutes, third one personal things got in the way for the late stages of training but still managed sub-4 and another 20+ minute improvement).

Anyway, I need 7:27 pace to qualify and have gotten down to about 8:15 pace on my long, easy runs (already to 18.5 miles), despite the hot, oppressive DC/NoVa weather.  Unless something goes horribly wrong, I'm not planning on "racing" MCM, but running it more for enjoyment.  I'm thinking of shooting for around 8:00 pace to take in the whole run and treat it more as a semi-hard training run.  Will there be any other people in this category?  I've run MCM twice, but honestly have struggled so much at the end I haven't noticed if other people run it for fun and aren't finishing in a world of hurt

If there is anyone else that has a similar plan/situation, it would be great to hear from you ...

Thanks,

Steve

• silvereagle Legend 1,159 posts since
    Dec 10, 2007

Welcome Steve,

Its funny you bring this up because Im kind of doing the same thing. I running the Detroit Marathon on Oct 17 as my BQ race and are planning to the MCM as a fun with a camera and enjoy the whole thing kind of a race, my qual time for BQ is 3:20:59 so with Detroit being really flat Im hoping it good....

Im thinking it will be a right around a 4 hour day for me on 10/31, Ive ran the MCM the last 2 years and didnt plan on running this year but couldnt pass it up so here we go

Im in with you for the enjoyment and look forward to it.......

Dennis

It's not only about finishing, its about finishing healthy!

• HALOjen Legend 1,305 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I am going to run the Columbus Marathon (October 17) as a training run for NYC (November 7). I will help my friend as she runs her first marathon. She runs slower than me, so I can run with her as my last long run before NYC and hopefully not risk hurting myself. I mainly want to be there to see her face when she crosses the finish line

I will run for cupcakes!!

• Charlie!2 Legend 1,128 posts since
    Jan 21, 2008

I'm doing the opposite.  I'm running MCM as a training run for Richmond on 13 Nov.  So MCM will be nice and easy and BQ push in Richmond.  Has worked the last two times I've run it this way.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points