Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2128 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 9, 2010 10:42 AM by lenzlaw RSS
PJ111 Amateur 8 posts since
Dec 27, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 21, 2010 6:13 AM

chills when running?

I was wondering if anyone ever got chills during a run?  This has happened to me a few times and I have read that it's usually due to dehydration.  I got them on Saturday during a 5K and had to stop, walk a little and drink water then I resumed running but was nervous about running through them.  I was not happy because my time was good for the first 2 miles then, all of a sudden, chills and goosebumps on my arms.  This has happened a few times to me even during daily runs.  I tried to drink quite a bit of water on race day and shouldn't have been dehydrated.  I have a difficult 10K coming up in August and am afraid to even enter it if I'm going to have to stop because of chills.  I had no other symptoms.  I was not dizzy and did not have cramps.  Only chills.   I can go out and run 8 miles without a problem but of course I'm not in a race so I'm running slow.  It sounds like my body is just overheating when I push it.  Any advice or similar reactions?  Thank you in advance!   Patty

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    1. Jul 9, 2010 8:31 AM (in response to PJ111)
    Re: chills when running?

Patty,

I think this is a sign of heat exaustion/dehydration.  I have gotten it a couple of times.  You need to drink plenty of water the day before you run to keep your body hydrated.  Humidity effects me more than heat.  Anyway enter your 10K drink plenty of water the day before and if you get the chills slow down/stop and drink water, don't keep running thru it.

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    2. Jul 9, 2010 9:06 AM (in response to PJ111)

I would normally say it was dehydration too.  I've experienced it but only during longer runs than that.  It seems unusual to me that it would happen after only 2 miles especially if you had something to drink before the race.  I wonder if there is another explanation.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,268 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    3. Jul 9, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to PJ111)

Dehydration after only 2 miles seems like a long shot.  You might get chills if you are sweating normally but the sweat is evaporating quickly - for instance, if it is windy with low humidity.  Hydration should be a 24x7 job if you're running and racing regularly.  (I learned this the hard way - kidney stones.)  You should hydrate well every day, not just on race day or the day before.  This will really reduce the chances of a problem when race day comes around.  Monitoring your urine color is the simplest way.  It should be pale yellow or straw colored.  Enter your 10K and make sure you're well hydrated in the weeks and days leading up to it.

Len

Len

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points