Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

6490 Views 25 Replies Latest reply: Jul 13, 2010 9:33 PM by leadfoot77 Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • jenniparks Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 9, 2010 6:11 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)
    Re: C25K newbie, concerned about heart rate

oh emmaleigh that is SO SWEET of you. I've never been called an inspiration by anyone before.

did you see my blog? (http://songsofgratitude.blogspot.com) I am tracking my c25k progress there along with other random notes on life, travel, etc. I have my w2d3 workout tomorrow morning and then I will be right there with you on week 3.

anyway, thanks for making my evening. *goes off into the sunset dancing*

~Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not   hear the music~

I blog on fitness and other random topics: http://songsofgratitude.blogspot.com

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    18. Jul 10, 2010 5:20 AM (in response to jenniparks)

Jenni, loved your blog, loved the Garmin graphics!  Can the Garmin be used by more than one person?  For example, can my daughter and I use the same unit on alternate days, and still use the graphics etc.?

Stick with C25K it works!  The first few weeks were the worst.  Most of it is learning to pace yourself.  Go SLOW!!!  If you can't finish an interval or a session, just walk.  Keep moving.  Don't give up.

As a confession, I do my running outside and it's been too hot recently, and I don't do well in heat... so I have to get started again now that we've had a break in the heat.

I started back in February, and I have found I can run in the cold, in the snow, in the rain, but not in the heat or on ice  (or for about a week after donating blood).

Also for those looking to lose weight, I found the weight came off the easiest later in the program.  The first few weeks I was famished after every run.

As far as heart health... After I gave blood, about 2 months into the program, I learned that my total cholesterol had dropped significantly.  It works. 

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• jenniparks Amateur 13 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    19. Jul 10, 2010 6:53 AM (in response to Janet689)

Janet,

You can share the garmin equipment, with some caveats. You can track your workouts that you've transferred from the garmin watch to your pc in either the training software running on your pc, on the garmin website, or both. I do both- the watch uploads to my pc which then populates the garmin tracking software on the pc and uploads it to the garmin website. Here is how you go about setting up multiple profiles:

1. On the watch- as far as i can tell with the FR60 (advanced models may be different), it cannot distinguish between users. But that's ok since we just use the watch to record the stats, not view them on there really.

2. On the pc software - you can create a profile for each user to track seperately. The software matches each watch to 1 profile (probably to discourage sharing equipment), but you can easily cut and paste via export/import command from the main profile associated with the watch to the second user's profile and then delete from the main profile after transfer. That way data is kept seperate for each user. Side note here: after each successful transfer into the software on your pc, you have to make sure to delete all activity "saved" on the watch AND delete the transfer cache (under documents&settings/userprofile/appdata/garmin/devices/devicenumber/history) to avoid the software from recreating the stats you've exported and deleted on the main profile. It's a silly software quirk- technically the software works by checking the history folder each time you sync the watch and importing everything in the folder that isn't already on the main profile, b/c it assumes the missing data must be the new data.

3. on the garmin connect website, i have found no way to force uploaded data to an alternative profile, so technically all of our workouts (hubby and mine) show up under my userid, but i title each of his workouts with HIS name after the upload so that its clear they belong to him really and not me.

Hope this helps answer your question.

~Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not   hear the music~

I blog on fitness and other random topics: http://songsofgratitude.blogspot.com

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    20. Jul 10, 2010 4:25 PM (in response to leadfoot77)

Ok to be blunt, my workout sucked today. It was abotu 80 degrees outside... Im sore, my calves my thighs, my knees, etc. I made it 1.6 miles in 25 minutes... I only managed 2 90 seconds runs and then I was just beyond exhausted. Im very disappointed in myself, but it just didnt feel like I had anything in the tank you know? I actually prefer the treadmill for running too ... so aside from being mad at myself, here is my plan. Sunday and Monday NO running... Tuesday I am going to redo week 3 on the treadmill. Wednesday Iam going to just walk outside... Thurs is the first day of No Boundaries.

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    21. Jul 11, 2010 1:46 PM (in response to emmaleigh47)

Emmaleigh, I can't run in the heat at all.  Don't beat yourself up.  My best runs are when it's in the 40's. 

At least you got out there and tried.

Janet

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    24. Jul 13, 2010 6:27 PM (in response to leadfoot77)

Thanks to everyone for the support!

I did the Week 2 workout today, because I knew if I didnt have a success I would be very upset with myself. So I did the Week 2 workout... took the speed up to 4.3 for most of the runs... and FELT GREAT!

One problem though ... after the last run my heart rate was 180 and it would NOT come down ... it was stuck ... it stayed at 180 for 2 full minutes before finally dropping to 175 and staying there for another minute... THEN it dropped!

It makes me so mad because my body wants to do it... my breathing was even significantly better this time. I didnt even notice the time... and only once did I hope for the run to be done... I felt great ... stupid heart rate!

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points