Skip navigation

6063 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2010 9:50 AM by SonicBolt RSS
Myndiera Rookie 1 posts since
Dec 28, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Mar 22, 2010 8:22 AM

Triathlon Nutrition - Tummy Troubles!

I know stomach troubles during endurance events can sometimes happen, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had my specific problem because I am having a hard time finding a good solution.

During olympic distance triathlons, I usually drink Gatorade and water, plus a GU during the bike and at the beginning of the run stages. I seem to consistently accumulate liquid in my stomach, which then makes me feel nauseous and inevitably makes me throw up just after the finish line.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can change my intake (what and when) so that this happens less often and I can concentrate on the race at hand?? Thanks!

• Tripp 2009 Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Mar 29, 2010 5:48 AM (in response to Myndiera)
    Re: Triathlon Nutrition - Tummy Troubles!

It could be that you are drinking too much too fast and your body is not having the time to absorb the intake. Try drinking the same total amount but in smaller portions. Just an idea...

• Kmurphy02 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 17, 2010
    2. Mar 29, 2010 7:19 AM (in response to Myndiera)

I have had to stop using Gatorade all together due to stomach issues during training and races.  I finally narrowed it down to that and once I switched I haven't had those stomach issues.

I would also watch the amounts you are taking in as well...especially during the shorter races. It is key to find that balance between taking in too much and taking in too little.

• drewzaun Rookie 2 posts since
    Mar 29, 2010
    3. Mar 29, 2010 2:57 PM (in response to Myndiera)

If you are having trouble digesting anything during an event, a likely cause is that you are exerting yourself too much. As your level of effort goes up more blood is used to power your muscles that are working, and things like digestion slow down or stop all together. You will want to be well below your anaerobic threshold when you are consuming calories. Sometimes you can get away with just water, but often times you will not. This is one of those areas where slowing down will actually help you to speed up, that is, slow your HR down and drink, wait a little until the fluid is absorbed, then you can turn the effort back up and go harder longer. This is also one of those areas you need to practice. It might help to start paying attention to how your body reacts to consumption during exercise at different levels. Find your HR zones and see where in those ranges you begin to have issues, then consume just below that line and see if it takes 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc before you can safely speed up.

Although an OLY is not overly long, it is still long enough that you should be able to make up the time, and maybe then some. For long course tri's this is an absolute, you simply can't go that long without nutrition....

Hope that helps, enjoy the season...

• HWKICVO Pro 51 posts since
    Nov 21, 2008
    4. Mar 31, 2010 6:45 AM (in response to drewzaun)

Maybe try diluting the Gatorade that you bring with you on your bike?  Or maybe it's the Gu that's causing problems, have you tried a different brand of gel or a different product all together?

It's VERY important to test out your nutrition strategy in training so there aren't any surprises on race day.  A similar thought on the previous post about the length of the race...if you're going longer than an hour or so in training or race day, then it's a good idea to get some Gatorade in you to help keep you going.  That being said, the longer you go the more important it is that you keep your body nurished so you can get through several hours of exercise.

Personally I have a hard time drinking/eating much on the run (upsets my stomach) so I try to get in as much as I can on the bike.  But, on the other hand, I don't want to eat too much on the bike and not enough on the run.  I usually try to eat the last of my food/Gu with about 15-20 minutes to go on the bike, that gives my stomach time to settle a little and then I stick with mostly water on the run.  It took me a few races to work out the timing but it has made a big difference for me.

Good Luck!

• scottuf Amateur 36 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    5. Apr 26, 2010 1:18 PM (in response to Myndiera)

I just completed my 3rd Tri of the season, and for the last 2 I had stomach issues on the run and vomited about 1/2 way thru both.  The prior 4 tris i've done i did not have these issues.  last week was FAU in the ocean and i swallowed a lot of salt water, so i figured that was it.  this week at St. Anthony's my stomach was hurting a little on the bike, but once i started running from mile 2-3 i felt nauseous and from mile 3-4 had dry heaves and vomited.  after upchucking i felt a little better but was pretty spent.

after last week, my friend suggested giving up on the gatorade on the bike and try accelerade.  nope, didn't help.  i think it might be from swallowing the salt water,  really slows me down though.  as for my other nutrition, pretty much exactly the same as prior races.  i only drank about 30oz of accelerade on the bike and grabbed a bottle of water that i chugged at the halfway point but my stomach felt full the whole ride so i didn't drink much more.  3 gu's also, which i always do without problem.

i'm hoping that the salt water is the issue and it goes away soon.

• kenfollette99 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 18, 2010
    6. Apr 27, 2010 1:18 PM (in response to scottuf)

I've never had any trouble with my 'tummy' until i used G2 or GU or whatever that stuff they give out at races is... anyway, i barfed at a 10k after eating. apperantly high sucrose levels w/o water can make some people ill. try a different fuel. ( i went back to banna power bars)

-Ken

"You can't be held back if you don't hold back a thing"

• SonicBolt Pro 114 posts since
    Aug 21, 2008
    7. Jun 23, 2010 9:17 AM (in response to kenfollette99)

I went a whole year assuming that tummy aches were just a part of it. I ate Gu with caffien. I tried some Hammer gel, without caffein, and no more belly aches. It could have been the GU, could have been the caffein. I guess the key is to just keep trying things until something works for you.

Good luck and have fun!

Spring Dash 2009 5 mile 38.52

Spring Dash 2010 5 mile 37:17

Race the River Sprint Triathlon 2009 1:17:34

Race the River Sprint Triathlon 2010 1:14:25

Bloomsday 12k 1:02

Spokane half marathon 1:48

CDA half marathon 1:57

Windermere marathon 4:50

Open heart surgery to replace defective aortic valve 2/9/11

Spring Dash 2011 5 mile--volunteered

Practice winning...or you'll never be any good at it.....

• pacificfit Legend 147 posts since
    Jan 9, 2008
    8. Jul 10, 2010 7:26 AM (in response to SonicBolt)

In my coaching, and over at the Rock Star Triathlete Academy, we teach athletes without iron stomachs to stay FAR AWAY from Gatorade, and it always seems to flip even the most sensitive of stomachs, as can caffeine. So you made the right choice going non-caffeine, but may also want to eliminate the Gatorade...

Ben

My blog is at http://www.BenGreenfieldFitness.com

Also, I'm giving away a free 7-part series on "How To Become Superhuman" at http://www.SuperhumanCoach.com

• Marzipan16 Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007
    9. Jul 10, 2010 10:17 PM (in response to pacificfit)

I know this thread came a bit ago, but I think something positive needs to be said of Gatorade Endurance - which should not be confused with it's inferior cousin "Gatorade found at Walmart".  Prior to the switch of Gatorade's levels (1,2, 3), you could get it from various online outlets, REI, etc, now I think it is exclusive to GNC and Dick's Sporting Goods, and found under the name of Gatorade Pro or Elite, or something along the lines of that.  The powder form allows the user to monitor sweetness, and in fact has lower calories than its counterpart, and higher sodium and potassium levels (yay for electrolytes).  I like it because with my diet, my potassium levels are really low (bananas make me gag), and Gatorade Endurance has the highest level I found as compared to other drinks.  I am drinking Hammer's Heed at the moment, and while easy on the tummy, I still feel something is missing.

Aug 21, 2008
    10. Jul 12, 2010 8:14 AM (in response to Marzipan16)

Another reason I stopped using regular gatoraid was that it always gave me a frog in my throat. I found I was clearing my throat for 15 minutes after drinking it. Does the Gatoraid Endurance do that? I remember trying it a few years ago and it sure did taste good. Which reminds me of an answer to your last statement about something missing from Heed....Its called flavor!

I use Heed now but would love it even more if it tasted as good as G.E.

• Marzipan16 Pro 59 posts since
    Dec 19, 2007
    11. Jul 12, 2010 8:36 AM (in response to SonicBolt)

Haha, so true on the flavor.  When I first got it, I would top it with the little G.E. I had remaining to make it go down a little easier.  I totally know what you are saying about the frog, and when I mix my G.E., depending on workout, I usually use only 1/2 - 3/4 of the recommended serving so I avoid the frog.  At the long distance tri I competed in, they had the premixed individual bottles and didn't get it that time either.

• jnboado Rookie 4 posts since
    Mar 26, 2008
    12. Jul 12, 2010 10:55 AM (in response to Myndiera)

I get like that too, Just remember a serving is 8ozs.

In a gatorade bottle there is 2.5 servings.

Take 2 big gulps every 15-25 minutes.

Everybody is different you have to experiment.

I can eat a small filet steak then run 10 miles it gives awesome energy, other people would puke!

Aug 21, 2008
    13. Jul 14, 2010 9:50 AM (in response to jnboado)

I have to drink at least 20 ozs per hour on cool days and much more on days over 70 degrees. I actually carry a 23 oz. bottle when I run to remind me to drink. I convert all serving sizes to that bottle.

I love to try new things anyways but eating a steak before a run? I LIKE it! I hope it works for me to because then I will have another excuse to eat more steak!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points