Skip navigation

598 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 11, 2010 5:49 AM by Deuce Deuce RSS
Currently Being Moderated

Sep 30, 2009 7:12 PM

Two Lakes Trail Run 2009 Reviews

Share your experiences with the Two Lakes Trail Run 2009 below Back to event details page.

• -John Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    1. Sep 30, 2009 7:12 PM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Two Lakes Trail Run 2009 Reviews

A sometime city-dwelling English teacher-runner from Marshall County who ran this race in 2008, Jason Sublette wrote this about this trail race, ? The campground about 50 meters from the start line was not insignificant. Scores of shiny hulking RV's lined the pavement, looking not unlike a new housing development plopped smack in the middle of the forest. Four lonely tents legitimized the name campground one of which we nearly trampled on our mad rush to the trail. Each RV was firmly connected to the civilized comfort grid with a variety of hoses and cords. One man was up on his roof adjusting his satellite dish.. A sleepy-looking teenage boy was sitting a the back of a pick-up text-messaging someone somewhere. A middle-aged woman reclined in her lounge chair next to her fire pit, smoking a cigarette, click-clacking on her laptop. Ahhh, the call of the wild...

It is only now that I understand why this trail race had to begin by winding through this suburban sprawl-on-wheels: it symbolized the very goal of the trail runner?to get away from the banality of sanitized carbon copy civilization and into the terrifying comfort of chaotic nature.?

• -John Amateur 15 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    2. Sep 30, 2009 7:50 PM (in response to -John)

Jamie said this the day before the race in 2008:

This morning I had the pleasure of running the 2 lakes Trail Course. It was undboubtedly one of the most enjoyable runs I've had in quite a while. With the temps still cool and the early morning sun creeping into the woods, I was in trail running heaven.

I can really tell that the RD and MBSP folks are passionate about putting on a great race. My first clue was the nice lady I spoke to at the campground who gave me a description of how they start the race and got me going. After a few miles I noticed that the trail was in EXCELLENT shape. In fact, it seemed odd to have a trail feel so good. This time of year I usually concede to the fact that fallen leaves will hide most of foot hazards strewn across middle Tn. trails. That wasn't the case this morning. Soon I realized why. I crossed paths with a Park Employee out blowing and CLEARING the trail! It was amazing. Other than cutting back big limbs and maybe clearing fallen trees, it is quite rare to see such effort!

As for the course itself- it was excellent. It began with some tight and twisty trails that seemed to really go either up or down. Soon though, it yielded to fast and flowy singletrack. Towards the end you are given a slight reprieve with a good dose of fire road/double track. As for the big hill at the end.......genius! Don't worry though as you are rewarded for your effort with an awesome downhill to the finish. This course will soon be a staple in my arsenal of great local runs.

I can't wait to get back out there tomorrow and get a little dirty with some folks. I hope to see you there.

• Deuce Deuce Amateur 13 posts since
    Mar 15, 2009
    3. Jul 11, 2010 5:49 AM (in response to Guest )

Awesome course - can't wait to do it again next year!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...