Skip navigation

25716 Views 74 Replies Latest reply: Sep 19, 2010 6:17 AM by RNCJr RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 29, 2010 5:00 AM

Civil War Century 2010 Reviews

Share your experiences with the Civil War Century 2010 below Back to event details page.

• Peggybike Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 26, 2009
    1. Apr 29, 2010 5:00 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Civil War Century 2010 Reviews

This is a great ride! The scenery is wonderful and plan to stay for great after event food and music! Lots of route choices for all ability/energy levels.

• Roubaix-Ronin Rookie 5 posts since
    Aug 27, 2009
    2. May 19, 2010 10:54 AM (in response to Guest )

Last year I did the Metric Century.  Although it threatened rain all day, I enjoyed the ride.  Route was well marked.  This year I hope to do 77 or maybe even the 105 ride; provided I can remember to get a massage afterward!

• Potterynut Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 30, 2009
    3. Jul 11, 2010 8:00 AM (in response to Guest )

2009 I rode the half century and thoroughly enjoyed it.  That ride was my second event ever, and really spurred me on for more.  This year I plan to try the 62 mile ride.  I would love to find someone with similar goals and abilities to train with and plan longer rides with.

• jsuskey Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 18, 2009
    4. Jul 27, 2010 5:54 PM (in response to Guest )

Did the ride last year; 105 mile.  There are some tough hills, lot's of flat too.  Prepared myself as I did the practice ride two weeks ahead of the actual ride.  This is such beautiful countryside, I would do it again if I get the chance.  The organization is TOPs. 

• Terry Eskuchen Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 1, 2008
    5. Sep 12, 2010 10:17 AM (in response to Guest )

This is the 4th time that I have done the Metric Century.  I thoroughly enjoyed it again.  I liked the slight change in the route this year.  The volunteers were wonderful; the rest stops were top notch.  Thanks for all the work you put into this.  Hope to see you again next year!

• BikenPA Rookie 1 posts since
    May 27, 2009
    6. Sep 12, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to Guest )

I rode the century route.  What a great ride.  Challenging climbs and beautiful scenery through parks and Civil War memorials.  I definitely plan to do this again next year.

• Markwieland Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2010
    7. Sep 12, 2010 10:30 AM (in response to Guest )

Support can't be topped.  Rolling out of the third rest stop I had a very LOUD blowout while doing 4mph.  One of the bike mechanics from the other side of the building knew that sound and came around with a pump to save me a CO2 cartridge.  Also, for whatever reason, a tomato sandwich after 5 hours of riding is the most perfect food in the world.  Thanks to everyone!!!

• josephwerner0 Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 1, 2010
    8. Sep 12, 2010 10:31 AM (in response to Guest )

Fifth year in a row for the century. Weather perfect,organization the best. Thank you volunteers.

• strideray Rookie 2 posts since
    Oct 7, 2007
    9. Sep 12, 2010 11:00 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first CWC and it was the best $30 I've ever spent for an event!  For that price you receive a fully marked 103mi amazing route, the logistics and privilege of riding through Gettysburg National Park and the 2 other battlefields, multiple fully stocked rest stops, a nice shirt, live music, and as a bonus, it was a beautiful day to ride.   The priceless memories were also free.

• mrsb10209 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 12, 2010
    10. Sep 12, 2010 11:03 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my first ever 25 mile ride and with rolling hills.  While I had a fun time with  my husband, I did not expect the rolling hills.   On the site, it said flat surface, which is why I joined in the first place.  But, I am proud of my accomplishment.  The countryside was very pretty and the temperature was great.

• Fushion243 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 24, 2010
    11. Sep 12, 2010 11:08 AM (in response to Guest )

My first Century ever.  What a beautiful ride.  The scenary was fantastic, the volunteers were first rate and always happy to help.  When I thanked a volunteer, they always said, "No problem!"  It was the hardest thing I've ever done, but very rewarding accomplishment.  Thanks so much for a first rate event.  I live in the area and see the sites often, but the number of backroads in this route gave a new look and feel for these sites. 

• George Wittenberg Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 23, 2009
    12. Sep 12, 2010 11:15 AM (in response to Guest )

Not much to add to the other reviews. It was a very well-organized event with perfect weather and scenery. I did the metric century and enjoyed having the food and drink every 15 miles. Water had run out at the start, when I started, though. The route was fairly complicated and it took me awhile to recognize the orange road blazes. A few volunteers at key points in the route would have helped. Very nice lunch and entertainment at the end. All, in all, a great event.

• jsnightingale Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 8, 2009
    13. Sep 12, 2010 11:17 AM (in response to Guest )

Did the Century in '07, the 77 miler in '08, the 50 miler in '09 and the Metric this year. Started early and finished early, and ignored the rest stops with the promise of enjoying the finish.  The change in course profile gives a substantially climb-ey middle section, and the Metric has a total elevation of 3800 feet, so it is still a significant challenge, perhaps on a par with April's Tour de Carroll Metric.

The course was good and extremely well marked, the day was good, as the front of the field is more sparse, the rider behaviour was good.  My one disappointment was that, arriving back by 11am the Ice Cream van had not yet appeared. Don't the early riders deserve the full end-of-ride rewards as well? Two stars docked for two years in succession where the promised ice cream was not there.

• mgallagher Rookie 1 posts since
    Oct 23, 2007
    14. Sep 12, 2010 11:23 AM (in response to Guest )

Great event, well supported with really nice volunteers. The century course was hilly with a couple good long climbs though beautiful country side hitting both Antietam and Gettysburg. I'll be back next year   

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...