Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

977414 Views 4,714 Replies Latest reply: Dec 18, 2013 5:15 PM by timbrown7573 Go to original post 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 315 Previous Next
  • lindakay228 Legend 201 posts since
    Apr 11, 2010

I have really been enjoying my time in Sacramento, and the weather has been pretty good.  The 90's here feel not quite as hot as the desert 90's in Silver City, NM where I live.  It did get somewhat warm walking around Old Sacramento yesterday but still enjoyable.  Went for a run this morning and covered about 3 miles but did walk part of it.  I stopped for a traffic light in one area and the muscles in my mid-back and waist area started having spasms for a minute or two.  So I decide to turn around and head back.  I ran some more but when I came to the other stoplight I started walking about half a block before to try to keep from the sudden stopping and maybe the muscle spasms.  It did spasm but just a little.  So I walked the rest of the way back, so of the 3 miles I ran about 2.  I think it may have hit me because I was running on the sidewalks which I usually try to avoid at home because of the cement.  I usually do the HS track, dirt trails, treadmill, and if necessary on the streets I go where there's little traffic and try to stay on the asphalt instead of the cement.  But here there was too much traffic.  But it did feel good to run for the first time in a week and I'm fine now.

I head back home on Monday, and will get there Tuesday night.  I'm going over to San Francisco and following the coastline highway down part of the way because I've never seen that area.

Sigh, then vacation will be over and back to work.

Whole Enchilada 5k, Las Cruces NM 9-26-10 43:32

All Souls Trail Race, Silver City NM 10-30-10 45:55

Global Health 5k Run/Walk, Albuquerque NM 11-6-10 40:11

Ultimate Fitness 8th Annual Turkey Trot 5k, Deming NM 11-25-10 38:35

New Beginnings 5k Jan 23, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 40:20

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 12, 2011 Las Cruces, NM 39:54

Bataan Death March Memorial 15 miles March 27, 2011 White Sands Missil Range, NM 4hrs, 48 min 45 sec

Fort Bayard Wilderness 5k Trail Race May 28, 2011 40:52

Ultimate Fitness 9th Annual Turkey Trot, Deming NM 11-24-11 35:14

Cupid's Chase 5k Feb 11, 2012 Las Cruces NM 38:29

• DJTucker Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2009

This is my first time on here and am very glad to find this site. I'm in Tennessee and have ran on and off for several years.  Started running somwhat regularly with my my youngest daughter about six years ago.   Last fall I let a friend talk me into a half marathon and did three in six months.  Now all of a sudden I cannot run!  Have no clue what the problem is but just can't seem to push past the 2.5 mile mark.  At first, I thought it was the heat but tried the treadmill yesterday and it wasn't any better.  Any suggestions???

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010

DJ:  How often are you running?  Maybe you need a break.  If you have been running daily for a while or every other day, you may want to downshift. Take a break for a week.  Do some walking or strength training every other day in the meantime.

When you start again, build up slow. I took about two weeks off lately and surprised myself when I started up again this morning.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

Lindakay,

Glad to hear you are having a good time on vacation. Way to go training while on vacation, now that is dedication. Oh, and welcome to California albeit late.

PJ,

I know that area pretty well. I usually get down around Julian, Santee lakes, and Escondido when I travel that way. Hawaii and expensive, two words that go together well. Way to go beating your time. I think liking running is what I felt the other day. Once you get to where it no longer hurts or is a struggle it feels great and you actually love the feeling of running. I am glad to hear of your accomplishment! Keep at it!

DJ,

Welcome. I have to agree with what Curtis mentioned, take it easy and build up as you go. It will come back to you.

Onward and Forward !

• DJTucker Amateur 26 posts since
    Sep 26, 2009

My daughter and I do about three 5K's in Memphis every year with the first being in April.  Finished in 27:09.  I was very excited because it's the first time that I haven't walked at least some in this particular run.  I try to run 3-4 times per week but can never seem to be consistent.  We did another 5K in June and my time was 37.58 - slowest one to date. We started too close to the front and I tanked before mile 1!  And since, it hasn't gotten much better.  It may be mental - just not sure.  I've taken a few days off but not two weeks.  Maybe I just haven't taken enough time.  I teach two fitness classes a week but I've always thought that was a good thing for strength and cross-training.  We do the Elvis Presley 5K in August and I sooooo dread it!

• Beka52 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 29, 2008

I Havent posted in awhile and getting caught up on the reading, but this caught my eye and I am all for getting someone else to do the yardwork

• Beka52 Amateur 10 posts since
    Nov 29, 2008

I'm in the high desert of Arizona. Our weather has be hot! hot! hot! the best time to run is probably around 2 or 3 am but who does that? the best I can do is 5:00 am and if its a long run day it still sucks. Its usually 85 by 8:00 am. I ran some last night around 7:30 and it was still hot did not take water big mistake that I was gona die from dry mouth.

• calbiker Pro 159 posts since
    Mar 21, 2010

DJ,

Wow, you ran three marathons semi recently and did a fast 5k in April but now can not get beyond a couple miles? That is bizarre! It may be mental, I have no answers for you but would suggest you look deeply within your self for the reason as it could be any thing. It could be mental as you mentioned, diet, age. Some thing is definitely hindering you. Have you had any health set backs that may be limiting you? Good luck, keep us posted?

Onward and Forward !

• Curtis721 Legend 203 posts since
    Feb 23, 2010

Jeff Galloway over at Runners World posted an article on keeping a running log or journal. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7124,s6-369-370--12381-0,00.html

Reviewing you log entries could help pinpoint the source of problems that come up.  I just saw a more recent article on this earlier today, but can't locate it now.  This is something I need to do more consistantly.  So far, these discussion threads have been my log.  It is a little hard to review though.

. . . as surely as spring follows winter, nothing ever ends; after achieving your objective, you must start again, always using everything you have learned on the way.  - Paulo Coelho, The Way of the Bow

Started C25K Jan. 19, 2010 - Graduated April 14, 2010

If I didn't have so far to go, the journey would end too soon.

• skirun50 Pro 80 posts since
    Jun 15, 2010

I ran 6 miles today for the first time in my life!  I had run one of my regular 4 mile routes and just as I was getting to my driveway the long version of  I Heard it Through the Grapevine came up on my i-pod. I decided to run till the song was over (about a mile) then, I kept going till I reached a local park (another mile). By that time my shins and hips were getting a little sore so I walked the remaining 2 miles back to my house.

I went to a sports doctor last Thursday. He took x-rays and said my hip problem was not a bone issue. It was probably strained muscles. He gave me some exercises and some great ointment (Voltaren Gel) that really helps whth the pain. He told me at my age it is really important to spend lots of time stretching. He said to warm up by walking 1/2 mile and then stretching for at least 5 minutes (which I already do) Then after I run to spend even more time stretching. He also said to pre-medicate with the gel and ibuprofen before running.

Welcome back Coolbiker, glad you had a nice break. Lindakay, have a safe trip home. Curtis any news from your doctor?,

Bill I hope your foot is feeling better. Mine is still a little sore but I am able to get a shoe on and run now. My foot only hurt for about the first mile today and then I forgot about it. Maybe it was good to have a tight shoe to keep the swelling down. Plus I took ibuprfen before I ran.

4/24/10: 5K Run for the Red Cross 44.9

6/26/10: 5K Runners North 36.00

* Broke 8 mile mark 8/15/10

9/11//10: 5K Apple Days 31:49

9/18/10: 5K Top of Utah 30.37

10/2/10: 5K Pumpkin Run 30.02 PR

10/9/10: Wasatch Woman 6K, 39.07

10/23/10: Run for the Ringers 5K, 30.02

Upcoming Goals:

TOU Half marathon 8/27/11

• TrishFahey Pro 146 posts since
    Mar 28, 2010

Skirun....way to go!!!! I cant ever imagine 6 miles...but who knows. Isnt it amazing how a song can inspire you . Please post your fun songs that inspire your running. One of my favorites is Born To Run by The Boss

CoolbikerMom..we missed you. Glad you are back. I am so not going out in this heat to run.

Curtis..glad you are on the mend.

Today I completed the first week of  Hal Higdons 5k training program for beginners. Even tho I completed c25k...after my tendon problem I felt I was starting way back from where I was. I like it because you run 1.5 miles three times a week with some walking on the other days. I am still trying to make 2 days a week for weights and crunches, squats etc...but I never seem to get it all done. Today was one of those rare days where the run just felt fun...not hard...not painful....easy breathing...I really liked that feeling. SOme days it seems soooo hard.  Hope eveyone has a good week.

Trish the Dish

Started C25K on 4/12/2010 Graduated 6/20/2010

First 5k June 20th Fathers Day Prostate Cancer Run Finished 40:31

First 10k September 19th Omaha Corporate Cup Run Finished 89.06

5k Memorial Park Turkey Trot 11/24/11 Finished 38:54 :-)

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010

50 and over, 5k and beyond - what are your challenges?

My number one challenge the past week has been the HEAT. 

I can't run in the heat.

So I've taken some time off.  I realize that I should at least go out and walk...

I want to enter a couple more 5K's because they help keep me motivated.  I think I'll sign up for one in August and one in September.

Since I haven't run regularly in at least a month, I need to get started again.  Maybe back to C25K week 5 or 6...

Janet

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

• PJ Freeman Pro 115 posts since
    Feb 17, 2009

Skirun that is awesome!  3 miles is still pushing it for me and 6 seems un-doable at this point.  I joined a running club that is training for a half marathon and our long runs are currently at 3 miles. I am dreading the day that it jumps up.  During my 3 mile run yesterday my side started hurting again and my feet felt like I had been walking on them all day (I had not).

The ggod news is that my runs are 30 seconds to a minute faster per mile so I am happy about that.  Good music has made a huge differnce for me.

2010 Coronado Independence Day 5K - 40:12

2010 AFC 5K - August 15 - 37:32

2010 End of Summer Fire Run 4mi- August 29 - 49:55

2010 Disney Wine & Dine Half Marathon Relay - October 2 - 57:12

2010 Shelter Island 5K - November 7 - 36:20 PR

2010 Silver Strand Half Marathon - November 14 - 3:14:05

2010 Las Vegas Rock & Roll Half Marathon - December 5 - 2:58:35

2010 Jingle Bell 5K for Arthritis - December 11 - 37:28

2011 Los Angeles Chinatown Firecracker 10K - February 13 - 1:25:46

2011 Lost Dutchman 10K - February 20 - 1:19:11

2011 Saint Patrick's Day 10K - March 12 - 1:13:48 PR

2011 Carlsbad 5000 - April 3 - 34:30 PR