Skip navigation

3449 Views 18 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2010 3:14 PM by Bethany E RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2010 10:22 AM

Hobbler Half Marathon & 5k Reviews

Share your experiences with the Hobbler Half Marathon & 5k below Back to event details page.

• Caitlin_Jeanette Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 12, 2009
    1. Jul 11, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Hobbler Half Marathon & 5k Reviews

I thought it was a very well done race! The volunteers took care of everything... The course itself was beautiful and fun! A lot of slight rolling hill because it was down a canyon... The nice part was the majority of the run was in the canyon only a couple miles actually in the city; a very scenic beautiful run

• Suzy Anderson Rookie 1 posts since
    Jun 29, 2009
    2. Jul 11, 2010 1:54 PM (in response to Guest )

Beautiful race, comparable in every way to the Hobble Creek 1/2 except that it starts up left hand fork of the canyon, ends at Arts Park. The race was organized, started on time, chip timed, nice finish line. Friendly and helpful volunteers. We loved the free Magelby's breakfast.

• janeal_lavanway Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 8, 2008
    3. Jul 11, 2010 2:00 PM (in response to Guest )

This was a great race!  The course was beautiful and almost completely downhill (but not steep).  I liked that a lot of the race was on a paved trail.  It seemed well organized and the finish line was at a great location with lots of shade and grass.  I think the only thing to improve on would be medals for all the finishers!   My favorite half marathon so far!

• guenhwyvar132 Rookie 1 posts since
    May 11, 2009
    4. Jul 11, 2010 3:26 PM (in response to Guest )

I though this race was very well organized.  The course was awesome.  They even had some volunteers and fans with hoses along the last few miles which was great!  The only thing I have that I wish they wouldn't have run out of water at two of the aid stations...gatorade has a yucky after taste.    The after the race stuff was nice and the breakfast was delicious.  They also had good first aid people...a girl I know collapsed because of asthma at the end and they took amazing care of her.

• PuddleJumperGirl Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    5. Jul 11, 2010 3:28 PM (in response to Guest )

Run 13 has been one of my favorite groups to run with since living in Utah.  They are very organized and friendly.  I am always impressed with them, and this event was no exception.  Their trails are well marked so you can't get lots.  The after race fun is also a plus.  This was a nice route, but more uphill areas than expected- nothing horrible, but just not expected since it was down a canyon.  Most of those ocurred when we moved onto the foot trail next to the road.  Overall, a nice 1/2 marathon.

• insanemom Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 14, 2009
    6. Jul 11, 2010 5:39 PM (in response to Guest )

This race was really well organized. I loved that it started on time. The rolling down hill was expected because I had ran this course many times. The only complaint I would have about the course itself is- the last 2 or so miles was a back track. We passed the finish line then had to go out of the way and come back. To me, that was mentally tough especially for the end of a race. Also, finish medals would have been a great touch too. Thanks for a great race.

• tahoeliz Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 19, 2008
    7. Jul 11, 2010 6:05 PM (in response to Guest )

Super well organized.  A great event like always.  I think they should have started further up the canyon because I didn't love the neighborhood run. This was my first half marathon, which was a huge accomplishment for me.  So... I wish they would have given finisher medals.  No real complaints however.  It was so fun!

• Aaron Nielsen Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 17, 2008
    8. Jul 11, 2010 6:48 PM (in response to Guest )

The race was great, but really hot at the end. It would be great if you could start it at 6am.

• Mjschenk Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 5, 2010
    9. Jul 11, 2010 8:05 PM (in response to Guest )

I really liked the race. There were a couple of things that were tough. I did not like the last 2-3 miles of the run through the town. It all looked the same and kept going corner around corner plus it was very hot! (something that you can't really change -> no citizens were cheering for us throughout the run compared to the last run in provo)

But other than that everything was really well organized! Thank you a tons! =)

• cal415 Rookie 5 posts since
    Apr 23, 2008
    10. Jul 11, 2010 9:05 PM (in response to Guest )

Overall I liked this race. I've ran Hobble Creek 1/2 a couple of times and thought this race was very comparable. I did also think that the race was a lot hillier than you would think from looking at the elevation chart-but it was ok. I didn't  love the last couple of miles. It was hot and long at that point and both my garmin and my friends (who wasn't running right by me) both said we had run 13.22 at the end. The finish line was nice though-but I would have really loved finisher medals as well. Thanks for a fun time though!!

• FalconLynxGal2011 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    11. Jul 11, 2010 11:07 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my first half marathon and I loved it. It started on time, the beginning was very organized, I loved the chip timing and for the most part the course was SO enjoyable. The only things I would say are just echoes of other reviews. Plenty of water at all of the stations (for those of us at the back!), possibly starting further up the canyon instead of making the last few miles through a very hot, flat, part of town (it felt like I ran the first 6 miles faster than the last 2), and finish medals for all would be a nice touch.

VERY good run overall, I hope to do it again next year!

• slowbutsteady51 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 12, 2010
    12. Jul 12, 2010 7:26 AM (in response to Guest )

This was a beautiful half marathon. Though a pulled muscle

slowed me down considerably, I loved the scenery. I agree

with others: more finisher medals and water would have been

nice. Also, a 6 am start would be good. It was pretty toasty

at the end. All in all - great event and I look forward to doing

it again next year. Congrats to the finishers;especially the

first timers.

• Redroxx Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 5, 2010
    13. Jul 12, 2010 8:15 AM (in response to Guest )

This was my second half marathon ever and I thought the race was very well coordinated. My lack of conditioning showed in the second half of the race as the course became more hot and difficult (hilly) and I was tiring out. I did appreciate the few folks in town along the course who turned on their sprinklers and gently sprayed participants and cheered the runners along. We could sure use more of that.

Thanks!

• brouwerpower Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 12, 2010
    14. Jul 12, 2010 1:16 PM (in response to Guest )

This was my 1st half marathon and I am glad I was able to finish it.  I did not run into any water stations that were out of water or gatorade and I appreciated the gatorade on this long run.

After looking at the elevation chart before the race I was surprised by the uphill sections on the trail, nothing to crazy but was not expecting it.

I agree with the other reviews that the race was very well organized but that it would be nice to get a memento from the race (other than the shirt).  For me the last 2- 3 miles were also pretty difficult but I probably need to train some more!!

Overall this was a great race and a great 1st for me.

Thanks!!!!

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...