Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2084239 Views 11,393 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2014 1:48 PM by CraigGinman RSS Go to original post 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 760 Previous Next
  • Scjohnson Pro 89 posts since
    Jun 10, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,080. Jul 11, 2010 10:09 AM (in response to WaldorfSalad)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Today is my 3ed day running in a row, so I figured I would take it a bit easy and head to the gym because it was so hot outside as usual.  I was going to to a partial w5d2 just until my legs got tired, and then go do some weights.

I dont know if it was running on a treadmill, the cooler atmosphere, or what - but I ran the first 5 minutes and was not winded or my legs huring at all... I figured since it was technically an "off" day, I would just do a nice slow jog (I had the treadmill at 3.4) until I was tired... I looked at my time, and it had been 18 minutes! I pushed it a bit to get the last 2 minutes!!! I know it was slow, my Nike+ said I was running a 13:00/mile. But! Thats the longest I have ever ran in my life.

so, I did a 5 min warmup walk, 20 minute run, then after 2 minutes I realized I was not really winded anymore, so I kicked up the speed to 4.0 and did 3 more minutes.

After I did a few leg exercises, and crunches.... I feel great! It was a great exercise day!  I think I'll go back to the treadmill tomorrow and see if I can kick up my speed to 3.6 and last 20 minutes again!

Woot woot, I feeeeeelllll good!

Nike+: scjohnson243

C25k Started - 6/7

_____

Zoo Zoom 5k- 8/28/10 :  44:41

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    1,081. Jul 11, 2010 11:38 AM (in response to WIguy)

@WIguy: good luck getting under 200, that's something I doubt I'll ever do.  I'm 6'3 and have shoulders like a linebacker.  If I can get into the 230-240 range by running I'd be pretty happy and then evaluate things from there.

• sumovato Amateur 13 posts since
    Jun 3, 2009
    1,082. Jul 11, 2010 11:46 AM (in response to Wideguy)

So I ran my first 5k of the year yesterday.  It was at 7:45 AM and it was muggy humid and warm, probably near 80.  I was hoping since I was running along the VA beach boardwalk it would be a bit more breezy   Anyhow even with the temps being where they were I felt good running though a bit hot.  I ended up at 39:00 even, so not too bad for my first 5k this year.   I am hoping to improve on that time for the rest of the year.  The 5k was also officially my c25k graduation being week 9 day 3.  So on to one-hour runner, or gateway to 10K for me... just not real sure which one to go with yet.

Nike+ id:      sumovato

C25K Graduate                          7/10/2010

Children's Miracle Network 5k     7/10/2010  (39:00)

Pony Pasture 5K                       7/31/2010

• Robin94873 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 26, 2009
    1,083. Jul 11, 2010 12:10 PM (in response to WaldorfSalad)

Hi WaldorfSalad - I totally agree with you that the desk job is a huge hit to the ability/desire to work out and be active. I had a desk job for awhile, then returned to grad school and loved it because of the flexibility of my schedule. Now back at a desk I have to renew my motivation to go before or after work (rather than to happy hour)...     I am hoping this plan will give me the schedule I need to keep it up!

• bostonwolf Pro 95 posts since
    Dec 21, 2009
    1,084. Jul 11, 2010 12:35 PM (in response to Robin94873)

I don't know, Robin.  I never had much of a problem heading to the gym when I worked a 9-5 desk job.  Of course I had a core of friends who all went to the gym after work so that makes it much, much easier.  I was really lucky in that I could often get away for lunch and the gym was close enough to allow the time for a quick workout during the day.  I'd do weights then and the cardio after work.

Add exercise to your schedule and make it as important as all your other appointments.  That always helped me too.

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    1,085. Jul 11, 2010 1:12 PM (in response to rpmmeg)

rpmmeg,

Thanks for de-lurking, and for the pic.  He must be so proud of your efforts.  Our kids were shocked when they saw us in our first race.  I can still remember seeing my eldest daughter's mouth wide open as we waved to her as we passed by--PRICELESS!

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    1,086. Jul 11, 2010 1:32 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine1972,

Wow.  In some ways, you're a far better inspiration for the others here than ever I could be.  After all, you've struggled through it longer, harder, and without the same results some of us have seen.  That type of perseverence is inspiring to me.  One of my favorite historical figures was Ernest Shackleton, whose family motto was fortitudine vinciums, which translates as "by endurance, we conquer".

all,

We all need to remember that we have different body types, different amounts of weight relative to size, and different histories.  Someone who was a star athlete back in high school (definately not me) will likely have an easier time getting back into the groove, as might someone who has been accustomed to hiking longer distances (as was the case with me).  For those who are fighting back from places I can only imagine, like those I faced briefly when I reached my peak weight of 348 lbs. over a decade ago--being winded going on short walks or up stairs--you've had to fight battles just to be able to start C25K.  You've showed more gumption and determination than I likely can muster, and most of you did it with little reward in the near term.  We all just need to keep fighting, keep moving, and keep losing.

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• MarieVermont Pro 81 posts since
    Apr 29, 2009
    1,087. Jul 11, 2010 1:53 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi everyone.

I've been away for a while, I'm ashamed to say I haven't even kept up with reading.

Now that the heat wave in New England has broken...and the wedding has come and gone....I am ready to hit the trail again in the am.

I'm worried though...one week off....not a great appetite (heat) not as much water as I should have had...and ZERO exercise.

I plan to eat a very healthy dinner here in a few minutes, a high protein bedtime snack....and give W6D1 a go tomorrow morning.  If I don't make it....I'll try again tuesday.

Hopefully it's easier than I am anticipating..that whole muscle memory theory...:-)

Cheers

Marie

p.s. I have gone from 236.6 down to 229.6 in the last two weeks. I'm hoping that the scale still says 229.6 tomorrow morning.

• revgum Legend 353 posts since
    May 14, 2010
    1,089. Jul 11, 2010 5:10 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Clubbies,

I graduated C25K this morning, W9 D3 was just under 3.4 miles in about 40 minutes.. What made this run especially tough was due to my hangover and having slept only 5 or 6 hours.. needless to say, we partied well into the evening Saturday. Peep the RunKeeper!

At any rate, it feels so good to have completed the program. Focusing on my diet along with C25K, I've lost 50lbs (almost 2 pant sizes and I'm on my second to last notch of the belt) down to 275lbs since I started exercising on the first week of February. I'm feeling so much better physically and mentally than I have in the past 15 years, and running has been a catalyst to learning more about myself and building my confidence. I'm going to enjoy the next week with some runs that aren't aiming at any particular goal, and just see what comes of it.. and then I'm going to jump right into the one hour runner program, probably at the week 5 or 6 schedule as that is pretty close to what I've been doing for the past couple of weeks.

So, I've been thinking about the question, "why do you run?" a bit more lately.. at first it seemed right to say "I want to complete a 5k and this C25K program". That was certainly one of the reasons and has done wonders to keeping me focused on continuing to run despite the many times I was doubtful, but the more miles I'm covering the more times I've noticed other equally appropriate answers.. some answers have been related to getting healthy to hopefully avoid diabetes and the like, or that despite the pain and suffering of running it actually feels quite good (in many ways) in the end, or how good the quality of undistracted "me" time it is and the truely meditative qualities I'm discovering in it. I think right now the most potent of answers is actually that I want to apply myself fully to something in a way that I've not done in the past.. to keep pushing my body to see what it can handle, literately and figuratively how far I can go. Some days are and will continue to be better than others, and thats every bit a part of the challenge for me.. It's always been easy to just give up trying after I've plateued or failed too many times in a row. Somehow I've accepted the feeling that I did my best and that I'm just not capable of going further with whatever effort it might be, despite knowing deeply that I am just giving up. I'm tired of that..its been long overdue to confront this in my life. I hadn't any idea, when I started C25K, that I might be taking up a habit that is not only so good for my fitness but for my mind and spirituality as well...feeling, at times, tears welling up during or after a run is something of a suprise I just wasn't expecting. Completing a few 5k races, and the C25K program has definitely opened a lot of new doors for me.

Many of you have helped me along the way as well, and I couldn't be more grateful for that.. you may know it, or it might have been something you said to me or anyone else on the board that resonated with me. I read every message on the thread, and try to contribute when I can but it's quite challenging with as many folks and posts that are made and having a busy schedule! Friends and family are always supportive and encouraging, there's no replacement for that for sure.. But to have joined a group of others who share many of the same struggles, and are working through addressing them in the same way that I am, is really something special. Hearing how you've managed through, as well as supporting eachother with difficulty and problems along the way.. Sharing research, stories, and advice to help eachother.. and sharing in success is what makes this thread and you who take part in it so great!

Cheers to you all, I wish you the best in achieving your goals, and I look forward to the many posts on this thread in the future!

[Seaside, OR : A drizzly, cold and overcast Oregon coast day.. to me a perfect way to finish off C25K]

2010-07-11 06.58.47.jpg

revgum @ RunKeeper / Facebook / Blog

325lb @ 2/1/2010 to 211lb @ 7/4/2011

Race History

• Wallis15 Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    1,090. Jul 11, 2010 7:00 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi.  Today was suppsed to be W1D1....but I didn't do it.  I made up a ton of excuses for not doing it.  It's only 30 minutes of my life, right?  I am scared.  I'm 277 and scared of hurting myself, having people laugh at me and of not being able to do it.  I wish I could "just do it" but I'm having a hard time getting past it.

Does anyone have any advice on how to get past the fear?

Many thanks,

• KG Aimee Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    1,091. Jul 11, 2010 9:47 PM (in response to Wallis15)

Laura,

I may not be the best person to get advice from, but here's my experience so far. I'm a planner, not a doer. So committing to start was easy. Actually getting off my behind was a little harder. So far I've finished 2 weeks of C25K. That isn't to say I've finished week 2. I did week 1 twice. Just because it’s a 9-week program, doesn’t mean you have to do it in 9 weeks or you’ve failed. There's even a modified version out there, but you can modify it yourself as needed.

So far I'm "running" very slowly (less than 4 mph) and walking even slower (2.7 mph). I know my "running" speed is slower than a brisk walk, but that's okay. I'm up and moving. Plus, being a big girl (300+), I want to make sure my form is good to minimize the impact on my back and knees. If you have concerns about your health, get checked out. I did. Now I know when my heart is bounding and I'm sweating like crazy, I'm probably NOT having a heart attack.

The first week I couldn't do the last running interval. This week I finished all intervals. It wasn't easy, and I'm considering repeating week 1 again. I'm not sure if I'm just afraid to move on, so I think I'll try week 2 and see how it goes. Better to see what the body can do than decide not to try.

I got the C25K app for my iPod touch and I think it is really helpful. Keeps track of the time of the intervals and it keeps me amused. Plus I love checking off each session when I finish. A good running playlist helps too.

Even though I’m still on week 1, I’ve already noticed a difference in my energy and endurance. I was in San Francisco this weekend and hiked all over those hills. I don’t think I could have done that 2 weeks ago.

I’m fortunate to have a treadmill at home, so I don’t have to worry about anyone at the gym or on the road. But only the extremely ignorant will have anything but admiration for you making an effort. You can get fit and lose weight, but it's a lot harder to fix stupid. A walking partner might help too. Strength in numbers you know. For me I kind of like the solitude.

A song that really inspires me is “Defying Gravity” from Wicked. Listen to the words. It’s empowering. “I'm through accepting limits ‘cause someone says they're so. Some things I cannot change, but till I try, I'll never know.” It's a little to slow for my running playlist, but I belt it out in the car

I don’t know what will motivate you, but I guarantee if you start, you will be glad you did. Take it one day at a time and take pride in every effort you make – even the less than perfect ones. 

Good luck!

~Aimee

06/27/2010-1st start C25K

01/01/2012-Starting Weight: 305 lbs.
    03/12/2012-Current Weight: 268.6 lbs.

03/16/2012-Restart C25K

• DPeezy83 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 10, 2010
    1,092. Jul 11, 2010 11:01 PM (in response to Wallis15)

Hey Wallis,

I am a bit scared and also super self-conscious!  I think we are all here b/c we could use a bit of encouragement.  I am going to run with my friend from work, but she is skinny and she has already run before, just not long distance...so I feel a bit more pressure to try to keep up with her.

It's hard to tell you to how to "just do it"...you just have to..I know that doesn't really sound like advice, but it's true...For me, my motivation is that I look in the mirror and think that I can do better, look better, be better.

We have to take it a day at a time...I think I have the same fears as you, but we can try to push each other.

My boyfriend told me on Saturday that he didn't believe that I was going to actually run (he later apologized, but I still think he kind of meant it).  I am hoping to prove him wrong. Maybe you can use people's doubt as motiviation too...

(sorry my post is all over the place...I am on my way to bed and have everything running through my mind!)

Started C25K 7/12/10

Starting weight 248.6

• DPeezy83 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 10, 2010
    1,093. Jul 11, 2010 11:03 PM (in response to revgum)

revgum,

Congrats on graduating!  I hope to be there soon!

Started C25K 7/12/10

Starting weight 248.6

• xaxen Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    1,094. Jul 12, 2010 12:07 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hey Laura (Wallis15)

Just thought I'd throw a shout out. It takes courage to ask for help when you're in any position where you feel uncomfortable, so kudos on asking for it. Here's my advice:

Go get the book "Feel the fear and do it anyway" by Susan Jeffers (google it, she has a website as well). This books is about the best book anyone could write on the subject of fear. The concept is basically that everyone has fear of some sort, and that the only way to get past the fear is to just 'do it'. Yeah, just like Nike tells us. The thing is that the fear never goes anyway...you make it go away! You make it go away by getting off the couch. All it takes is putting your shoes on, going outside, and putting the feet to the pavement. If you can't get the courage to run, then just go for a walk. If you can only walk for a few minutes, then just do that. Improve overtime, and work your body up everyday. Make sure you have good shoes, and take it slow. The important thing is to just get your shoes on and get outside. No better time than during the summer to do this!

I know exactly what your thinking though, because a few months ago I was in the same position you're in. I'm overweight as well and procrastinated everyday. Always thinking "I'll do it tomorrow". Guess what...the road of tomorrow leads to nowhere. You can do it!

You could also find a buddy and go walk together so you don't feel like your climbing a lonely mountain by yourself.

Just my advice hope it helps.

1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 ... 760 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...