Skip navigation

3992 Views 12 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2010 7:02 AM by Moriates RSS
brooklynrunz Amateur 5 posts since
Apr 14, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 11, 2010 10:49 AM

Olympic distance tri....I'm sooo not ready. No, really!

Hey all! I'm new to Active. But, lets get directly to the point and save the intro for later since I am in a bit of a dilema. I know, I know. I'm new and all ready starting out with drama.lol

I signed up for the Nautica Triathlon in the winter. After volunteering for the event last year I was given the great opportunity to get a guaranteed entry. I thought, "why not take advantage?!". I have been "training" since. I am a poor swimmer, but I have taken a few swimming classes. I have been able to improve upon my free-style swim technique. I entered a triathlon bootcamp, etc. Nonetheless, the triathlon is this coming Sunday and I am not prepared

1. I tend not to count the laps as I train so as not to freak myself out in the pool. I instead try to distract myself and focus on staying relaxed. Consequently, I am pretty sure I wont be able to cover the 1500m swim distance during this upcoming tri.

2. Freestyle is the only tool I have in my swim utility box. I will be meeting with a friend on Tuesday who will help me learn a bit more (back stroke, swimming on my side etc)

I was all set to defer my entry until next year....when I realized that I pretty much would lose all of the $250 that I put into registering for this event and would STILL have to pay to enter next year's race!!! $250 isn't much to risk  my pride, or my life  for that matter...but it sure makes me start second guessing my decision!

The more I look up information abt the triathlon, the more I hear that a sack of potatoes or plastic bag can float down the Hudson River (where the race will be) due to the strong current. I am toying with the idea of still swimming (despite my lack of preparedness).......but I am also wondering if I can still compete in the other portions of the race without swimming (not to be counted as an official finisher...but to still show up compete with the crowd)

What do you guys think?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points