Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

884 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 12, 2010 7:58 PM by Haselsmasher
gatorman10 Legend 242 posts since
Apr 23, 2003
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2010 12:28 PM

Posterior Tibial Tendonitis

Anyone ever been through this one?  I haven't ran more than a few mile in like 12 weeks.....  Is there hope?  I mean there is always hope, but you know...

I have been running like 20 minutes at a time on the TM and that will go OK for a week or two and then BAM back to just the bike.  It has not gotten so bad again yet to stop me from all activity like the first bout.  Is this the best way to treat this or should I just take 6 months completely off from running?  I did get up to 6 miles about a month ago and that produced pain too.  It usually kicks in 48 hours after a run...

• Haselsmasher Legend 518 posts since
    May 25, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 12, 2010 7:58 PM (in response to gatorman10)
    Re: Posterior Tibial Tendonitis

Make sure you're in the right shoes.  You might try some temporary arch support to give that tendon a rest.

By massaging and loosening the Post Tib muscle you can take tension off the tendon.  I learned of the following procedure for internet running legend Ozzie Gontang.  It has worked wonders for me.  (I haven't had PTT per se - but this massage/loosening method keeps things healthy and feels good - although the first few times you can get kind of sore.)

Sit in a chair and cross your legs such that the left ankle is resting on the right knee.  You’ll be looking down on the inside of your left shin.  Place your right thumb right behind the shin bone (where the bone transitions to soft tissue) down close to your ankle.  Your fingers will wrap around the front of the shin.  Place your left thumb on top of your right thumb, wrapping those fingers around the shin, too.  Make small circles with your left foot.  With each rotation you’ll notice/feel Posterior Tibialis contracting and relaxing.  While continuing to make circles with your foot, slowly slide your thumbs up the shin, while pressing firmly into the muscle.  You’ll massage the muscle and loosen up the fascia that can constrict the muscle.

Jim

"Kick off your high heel sneakers, it's party time."

-- From the song FM by Steely Dan

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points