Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

187250 Views 1,130 Replies Latest reply: Apr 21, 2011 9:23 AM by tylerjiang Go to original post 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 76 Previous Next
  • MissLissa35 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010

I am totally in. I am starting on the 15th (my 35th birthday). W1D1 here I come! And, like the Type A I am, my first 5K is at the end of Aug. I don't expect to run the whole time, but would love to run most of it!

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008

How nice it is to come back to this thread & read that so many people have started W1 or will be doing so in the next day or two. For those who have yet to start, I hope you don't feel behind the curve. I suspect many of us may miss a session & have to do it late or have to repeat 1 or more along the way. We're all on our own journeys here; we're simply sharing a general map! I really appreciate hearing from those a bit ahead of me - either by a session or a week or 2. It gives me a heads up as to what is coming. It's an affirmation that as daunting as some of the later sessions look to be right now, they ARE doable!

I love the fact that C25K is so flexible. We can choose to do it by time or distance. It's 3 days a week, preferably interspaced by a day of rest - that leaves us options if life gets hectic. Depending on our levels of fitness we can opt to do something different on rest days... or not. We can repeat sessions or weeks & no 'C25K Jury' is going to kick us out as 'unworthy'.

I'm looking forward to W1D2 tomorrow. I was afraid I might feel very sore today but I don't - my body is 'sulking' rather than sore. I feel a bit stiff & achy; rusty but I was careful to go SLOWLY yesterday. I'm starting what I hope will be a lifetime of fitness here; I have all the time in the world to gain speed. I'm not compteing against anybody else. I'm competing against years of my own bad habits & that's enough of a battle for now.

I did a fair bit of walking today - necessary errands & think for a few weeks anyway, that's probably the best thing for me to do - keep moving but at a walk so I don't stiffen up too much & I manage some rest. I'm looking forward to the time, a few weeks from now, when my body will seem so much more fluid & relaxed. Until then, I'll have to live up to my name & just... slog on.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• Rosilynne Amateur 12 posts since
    Jul 12, 2010

I find the cadence thing kind of fascinating, and being the total nerd that I am, I spent more time reading about them than I should have

Anyways, I did W1D2 today, and though I feel pretty good right now, it was rough. I had been on my feet all day, from 8:30am to 6pm and I rested a bit then went out at 8:30pm. I ran all 60secs whenever I was supposed to, but it was so hard to keep going that it hardly felt like a success :\

Whelp, onto tomorrow, keep up the good work everyone ^^

-Rosilynne

• runner5Kchic Amateur 9 posts since
    Jul 5, 2010

Okay I have a few questions for those of you who have actually ran a 5K before, as this will be first, and definitely NOT my last.

I read runners stating they ran an 8:53 pace...what does this mean?

What is a good time for a 5K race for a beginner?  I have no goals to break world records, but to finish and to run the entire 5K. I am thinking under 45 min is acceptable for a beginner? Am I way off?

Please advise.

• GetMovnShelly Amateur 38 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    139. Jul 13, 2010 10:14 PM (in response to kitbud)
    Re: Starting C25K on Monday July 12, 2010 Who's in???

Kitbud,

I have hills where I live too. So what I did was when it came time to run I turned around and went downhill. Then I walked uphill. I kept turning around so I wouldn't have to run up the hill.  The people on the street probably were wondering what the heck I was doing, but I kept it up until I was finished with the running parts.

• GetMovnShelly Amateur 38 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010

Well, I managed to make it through W1D2 today! I almost flaked out, but made myself do it. The podcast downloads are great! Got a good one from coolrunning.com.  I wonder how in the world I will make the jump up to week to after one more day of week one. I may need to stay on week 1.  Being overweight is no fun for running.  Now if I could just get my eating under control...

• hawkIgal Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010

Hi to you all!

Just came across this as I was searching for 5K's...my First 5K!  I am on WK6 of C25K, and my goal is to finish it and be ready to participate in a race 9.18.10.  I am so excited! I have started C25K about 3 times in the past and never made it any farther than wk3.  I was down with an illness last week, and was unsure of starting wk6 today...but I just took it very slow, and I made it thru!  I agree with all of what everyone has said about this program.  Go at your own pace and don't worry about speed right now.  I find that if I start out slower on Monday, the runs seem doable.  I plan on picking up the speed and raising my treadmill incline when I am ready for that.  Just feel comfortable with yourself...don't over do it.  One thing that has helped me is to make sure I have a day off in between workouts.  But, on those days I do a walk/jog...just not as intense as the C25K workout.  It has really helped with the momentum.  I also plan on adding a day or two outdoors soon, to prepare myself for race day.  I have done both, treadmill and pavement/rock road, and actually like all 3.  Definitely goes quicker outside, for me anyway. I don't have any of the electronic gadgets, cept a HRM, so I watch tv during my run. I was not in any sports in HS and only became aerobically active 8 yrs ago, when I was 36! I am 44 now and want to become an avid jogger!  I love how I feel when I finish a jog/run!  Keep with this, and if you have to repeat a week or more, that is just fine.  You will get stronger, build endurance and improve your cardiovascular capacity!  Good luck everyone!  What a great idea to get this thread up and going!

• ohioraceday Pro 111 posts since
    May 8, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    142. Jul 14, 2010 3:42 AM (in response to runner5Kchic)
    race times

cford1204,

Race results are posted in the order of finishers for male and female usually.  After the names and race time, sometimes the results will show a runners "pace" or how many minutes/mile.  A crazy-good pace would be somebody like Ryan Hall who runs a 13:16.03 minute (total time) 5k.  That's a 4:16min per mile pace for each of the 3 miles!!  This is Olympic quality FAST.

http://ryanhall.competitor.com/achievements/

So forget that.  You and I will never be the fastest runner.  There will always be somebody faster.  Our concentration is on improving our own time.  A first time runner (depending on what kind of condition and age) would be doing well to run 2-3-4 times slower than Ryan Hall.

A 30 minute time for a 5k is pretty darn good for a first timer in my opinion.

http://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/pace.htm

Good luck with the C25K program.

• danij74 Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 13, 2010

W1D2 complete!  I'm really so proud of myself--especially since I'm getting up and doing this in the pre-dawn hours.  I realized today that I really pushed myself pretty hard on Monday and took it easier, but still traveled the same distance, which surprised me.  I also took some extra time stretching last night and this morning both before and after the run, so my hips are feeling quite a bit better.

Now a good breakfast, get the kids up, and off to work.  Have a great day everyone!

Danielle

• Carly731 Rookie 4 posts since
    Apr 26, 2010

cford1204 - I ran 2 5k's without any training and came in at like 39 and 40 minutes and was fairly miserable because my strategy was running until I couldn't breathe and then slogging along slow walking until I could again.  So now I'm doing the c25k and I've found that after the 31 minute work out I'm going about 2.1 miles (but this includes the 10 minutes of warm up/cool down).  Anyway... long story short, my goal is to be able to run the whole 5k and breathe while I do it.  Ideally, I'd like to run at around 11-12 min/mile putting me in at 33-36 minutes total. I wouldn't get hung up on the times at all. I know a lot of people who don't train much and are able to run a really fast mile (7-8 minutes) and plenty of people who run 10 milers at a 12 minute/mile pace.  It's all about you

Twitter @carlyrachael

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008

Shelly, I hear you. I did W1D2 early this afternoon & it was tougher than D1. My body said: "You've got to be kidding me! I have to go through this AGAIN? Fine - you're gonna pay. Oh your butt hurts - stop running. Your legs feel like they each weigh 100 pounds? Your problem. Fell sluggish - sounds like a personal problem." I swear I spent the 1st half of the session wanting to put my body in a Time Out chair - it was acting like a spoiled toddler. I was waiting for it to threaten to hold its breath until it turned blue...LOL Nothing felt... RIGHT. But I'm a newbie - I don't know what 'right' feels like. So I'm not going to worry about it - I'm just gonna do it. The good thing is, after 10 minutes or the first 3 reps of 'run 60, walk 90', my body stopped fighting me. The final run, I took it a wee bit faster to make sure I was keeping myself honest.

I did get it done & felt good about that after I was done. I remember from my 1st, aborted attempt at C25K that my body loves to whine & complain about any little thing the 2nd session of each week. Never anything major, so I  just keep going. I have to admit today though, my butt feels as though I've been spanked, my legs feel like jello AND heavy logs at the same time & my entire body is acting oddly. Little tingly feelings, crap coming out of my lungs. I figure it's all good - just years of sloth being stirred up & hopefully soon, starting to clear my system.

But I feel like such a beginner. I don't know when for me is the best time to do my sessions, what to eat before or after, what will help or hurt... I expect over time, I'll learn... the hard way...LOL. I'm way too new to this to worry about it considering the tiny running increments done in the 1st few weeks. What matters is that twice now, I've completed the sessions. I made the mistake, (for me), last time of adding too many extra workouts of different types too soon. So, this week & week 2, I'm adding nothing. At the end of week 2, I'll add something on Saturdays - maybe a longer walk/run session. I'll leave it at that for a week or two. I have to try to remember I can't rush into fitness - not at almost 50. I'd hate to injure myself through my own stupidity.

Kudos to those who've completed the 1st and/or 2nd sessions. Looking forward to hearing from others as they get those 1st few workouts in.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• SeattleD Rookie 5 posts since
    Jul 7, 2010

I completed W1D2 this morning, first thing and it seemed pretty easy, in spite of the fact I had very old, uncomfortable shoes on. I had left my better shoes at my office because I went to the gym. I'm walking/running on Mon, Wed & Fri and on Tue & Thur I go to the gym and work out with weights and machines. Also, I ran outside along a beach, so maybe the beautiful distraction took my mind off the pain. So the plan is to run along the beach since that is where my actual 5K is going to be. Just 7 weeks to squeeze in the 9 week plan. I hope I can. I think I can. I will.

Hope everyone made it through your goals today!

~ D

• kristalincali Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010

Thanks tallgiraffe!

I had already decided to rest a second day today and take day 2 tomorrow instead. Things are better than yesterday, but I'm still doing a bit of the old lady walk today.

I probably didn't have as much water as I should have on that first day and no protein right after. I hadn't heard of that - definitely good to know. I will add both of those into my plan for tomorrow as well as some extra stretching in for good measure too! I really want to do this and won't let a little pain stop me!

Kristal

• kristalincali Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 11, 2010

Thanks runmplsrun! I will definitely keep the idea of ibuprofen in mind and increase my stretching.

I know this is "good" pain, just trying to alleviate it as much as possible to be able to keep going!

• gokelliego Expert 51 posts since
    Jun 10, 2008

Hey everybody!

Thanks for the links and info on No Boundaries and cadences! Pretty neat idea!

Welcome to all the new posters!

Rosilynee- Because it was hard it didn't count as a success? Shame on you! (just a little bit of shame, you're already beating yourself up) It was hard and you did it anyway!! That's a great accomplishment! Own it!!

cford- The only 5k I've ever done is a virtual one that we organized on this site the first time I did the program. I think my time was right around 43 mins. I think a goal of finishing

Shelly- Careful on those hills! It's hard on your knees to run downhill!

I found an application that helped me organize my I-tunes music by BPMs! So new playlist on my run tonight!! And if I guessed my pace right it should be the perfect tempo! So excited, can't wait!!

1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 76 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...