Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1163 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 14, 2010 9:10 PM by trail_gal RSS
trail_gal Rookie 6 posts since
Jul 9, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2010 8:14 PM

Stress Fx. Symptoms for Femoral shaft?

Having had a few stress fx in the past (different area), I'm a bit worried about my femur (shaft, about 5-inches above knee cap).  I've been slowly ramping up my mileage (65 mpw).  About 1 1/2 weeks ago, I did 3 days of long runs (30, 20 and 10), where I had no pain. After 2-days rest I went for a run, and immediately had what could be bone-ish pain, but could very well be muscle pain.  The odd thing, I have no muscle soreness when stretching; using  "the stick" roller, I definitely do notice a focused area of pain (again, not sure if it feels like muscle or bone). It just doesn't feel like muscle strains I've experienced in the past. The fulcrum test seems to be negative (thanks dh); but as soon as I try running, impact brings the pain right back (same pain 1-week out).  Admittedly, I am a bit paranoid given my past sf history, tho I've been lucky the past 4 years.  Any opinions based on personal experience with similar injury?? Thx alot!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 14, 2010 11:51 AM (in response to trail_gal)
    Re: Stress Fx. Symptoms for Femoral shaft?

I know I mention this a lot, but it's sort of my job... If the  fulcrum test (properly done) is negative, consider the possibility that  there may be a trigger point at the location you find with the stick  that needs more focused attention from your fingers.

Trigger  points can produce entirely different pain patterns depending on where  they occur in the muscle and what nerves they affect, and it is not  unusual for the sensation to be unfamiliar. A trigger point in a muscle  can weaken its contraction or cause the whole (or part of the) muscle to  stiffen, placing greater strain on the joints controlled by the muscle.  There may also be damage to or inflammation around the periosteum to  which one of these muscles attaches.

A 30,20,10 imho  could be asking for it. I'm sure you are exceptionally fit to even be  attempting such a feat, but injuries in runners start to increase  markedly after 50 or so miles a week. I'd rest this one off with some  gentle rehab and let the damage heal before you go any further. A break  in the middle of marathon training can be very helpful for your muscular  endurance down the road anyway.

Good luck and congrats  on your discipline and stamina.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points