Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18713 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2010 5:46 PM by Firechicklovespugs RSS 1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next
graciels Amateur 11 posts since
Jul 16, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 16, 2010 7:34 PM

200+ lbs and Starting C25K on July 18, 2010

I have been overweight for 15 years, after the birth of my middle and last children. Up until 5 years ago my weight maintained between 180 - 190. Due to my improper handling of stress and my use of food as a crutch, my weight has ballooned to 242 lbs. About 3 weeks ago I started eating more fruits,vegetable and healthier proteins, removed sugar and soda (1 diet soda a week), and reduced breads and rice drastically and I have lost 12 lbs. I found the Couch25k site and am now excited to add this program. After reading how great so many others are doing with the program I know this will make a great improvement to my health and weight loss goals. My goal is to reach 200lbs by the end of the program, September 18, 2010, and hope to run at least one 5k and and 10k by summer of 2011.

"Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss it you will land among the stars."
-Les Brown

• grandledgegirl Rookie 3 posts since
    May 24, 2008
    1. Jul 16, 2010 8:43 PM (in response to graciels)
    Re: 200+ lbs and Starting C25K on July 18, 2010

Good for you!   I was in the same boat as you back in the summer of 2007, starting running and eating right and lost 40 pounds, and over the course of my weight loss ran three 5K's and a half marathon in May 2008 in 2:32.   Unfortunately, I gained much of my weight back due to some health problems in 2009, but have now started up my running routine again.   Good luck...you can do it!!!!!

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    2. Jul 16, 2010 9:22 PM (in response to graciels)

Welcome graciels! It sounds to me like you're off to a great start with your goals. 12 pounds off in 3 weeks is great - quick enough to be encouraging & it sounds as though you're doing it the right way... through a more healthy approach to eating. I've only completed my 1st week of C25K but let me tell you even 3 sessions is making a difference I can feel. I am tired physically - not being used to anything faster than a walk but mentally I feel more energized & definitely more positive. Completing 3 sessions has really boosted my self confidence. I know I'll have some hard weeks but with the great advice & support here, I'll slog through. I'm starting to have faith that by following the program, I CAN become a runner.

I sure hope others reading these threads are motivated to try it. If you don't think you can handle 60 seconds running, start at 45 or 30. Take your time & build up to the 'proper' week 1 if you have to. I started with week 1 but believe you me my running stretches are happening at turtle pace. The important thing is that they ARE happening. I won't lie. It feels awkward, it's not a habit yet. I'm having little aches & pains - nothing major. Looking at the last few weeks of the program does scare me, more than a little but so many others have done it - I can too. And if this almost 50 year old, soon to be ex-smoker can do week 1, anybody can do week one.

Who else is trying week one this coming week? Say hello!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• nchowning Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 16, 2010
    3. Jul 16, 2010 11:15 PM (in response to graciels)

Good luck with your first run.  I just started C25K (Using Podrunner Intervals by DJ Beatsmith) yesterday (July 16).  My story's pretty similar to yours.  I used to weigh 200-210 and felt/looked great.  In the past 5 years or so, I've gained a lot.  At the most, I weighted 280.  I've recently dropped down to 250-260ish.  My goal is to be 200 by Christmas.  I'm working on adjusting my diet as well... that part's a bit more difficult haha.

Good Luck!  I'll be running with you tomorrow =P

Watch and follow my journey!  It begins, officially, on October 1st, 2010.  http://nathanloses.tumblr.com

May 24, 2008
    4. Jul 17, 2010 6:49 PM (in response to graciels)

I got my run in today!   Used the treadmill as it is just too hot & muggy here.   Hope you are forging ahead, graciels!  

• ecsufootball Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 18, 2009
    6. Jul 17, 2010 7:51 PM (in response to graciels)

I was about 230-240 back in December 2009 and now I am down to 205-210 in July 2010.  I have ran my 1st 5k (23:30) and ran a 10k (57:44).  While the weight loss has really helped with my speed when running, the weather has been the biggest factor in my running.  My times suffer tremendously when I run in hot and humid conditions.  I am planning my 1st half-marathon at the end of September when the temps go down!

Best of luck!  Its addicting!

• Quilty Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    7. Jul 18, 2010 7:46 PM (in response to graciels)

I am just over 200 lbs (by 10) and have started the C25K.  During the spring, my daughter suggested I do a 5K with her.  I noticed that one could walk it, so I did.  I had also decided to sign up for one in September with her.  My husband challenged me to run it.  I told him I would run as much as I could if he also did the 5K.  So, here I am, working on running. 

I have just started a C25K plan and am looking forward to tomorrow's workout.  I have had to move inside due to the humidity here. 

Graciels, can you imagine our Soldiers doing that in full battle rattle?  I sure can't.  My son is in the Army. 

May 24, 2008
    8. Jul 18, 2010 9:40 PM (in response to graciels)

This is encouraging to see several of us in the same weight range pursuing similar goals.  Let's keep in touch, keep encouraging each other, and have fun while we train.   If anyone's interested in forming a separate group on yahoo for this purpose, just let me know.

Jul 16, 2010
    9. Jul 18, 2010 10:39 PM (in response to grandledgegirl)

I think it's a great idea for all of us to team up and encourage each other!

I got my second run in this morning.  It was much easier than the first.  I probably could've kept going but I figured I'd follow the directions and not overdo it =P

Watch and follow my journey!  It begins, officially, on October 1st, 2010.  http://nathanloses.tumblr.com

• cuppycakegirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 21, 2010
    10. Jul 21, 2010 4:58 PM (in response to graciels)

I just started C25K this week too! The hardest thing for me so far has been putting on my shoes and getting out the door. It's all mental. Once I'm outside and running everything is great. I even really enjoy it and it isn't much of a struggle. But mentally, it's a major struggle! I find myself coming up with all sorts of excuses to not go run. But I will make it! And so will you! I'm so excited for everyone starting out this week. Be encouraged by all the others on the journey with you!

Jul 16, 2010
    12. Jul 21, 2010 7:22 PM (in response to cuppycakegirl)

When I ran in the past, I had the same problem as cuppycakegirl.  For some reason, I don't have that problem at all anymore.  I actually look forward to my runs.  My running days are Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday.  I actually ran today (Wednesday) too.  I was in a bad mood (car problems & money haha) and all I felt like doing was running.  It really helped.  I was in a much better mood.  I'm about to start Week two of C25K.  I decided to do week 1 a few extra times since I haven't been running at all for the past year or two.  I ran Week 1 Friday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.  Going to do it again tomorrow then, on Sunday, my week 2 begins!

• Losinbabyweight Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 21, 2010
    13. Jul 21, 2010 8:11 PM (in response to graciels)

I'm super excited to have found this post! I just started week 2 of C25K, and it's becoming a little more of a struggle.I'm a little over 200 pounds, and want to lose about 40-50 pounds because I'm only 5ft, and I want to be a healthy BMI. I guess the one thing I will suggest to everyone, is HAVE A BUDDY to go with you! That way you can't back out of it without disappointing your buddy. I run with my neighbor, and it really keeps me going because I know if I slow down, she will too. Also, to initially get out the door to run can be quite a struggle some days too, but if I know that she'll be out there waiting for me has really helped!  Anyone else start week 2? The extra 30 seconds of running are a killer! I guess my problem is, I still don't have a breathing pattern yet, so I'm always out of breath when it gets to the walk.

• chaunaci Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 2, 2010
    14. Jul 21, 2010 10:59 PM (in response to graciels)

Congrats everyone for getting started!  I completed a 6 week C25K program with a trainer the last week of June.  It was great, but I still have a long way to go.

I ran/walked a 5K on July 3rd.  I think I finished in about 55 min.  My next 5K is scheduled for August 29th.

I'm going to see if I can do week 3 or 4 of the program, and go from there.

I have a running buddy on Saturdays, but definitely need some motivation to get out the door two more times during the week.

I look forward to getting more updates from everyone.

Best wishes,

Chaunaci

1 2 3 ... 5 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...