Skip navigation

NEED HELP?|

23949 Views 106 Replies Latest reply: Apr 26, 2012 11:24 AM by gchavez 1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2010 10:19 AM

Ironman 70.3 Racine Reviews

Share your experiences with the Ironman 70.3 Racine below Back to event details page.

• dfilarski Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    1. Jul 19, 2010 10:19 AM (in response to Guest )
    Re: Ironman 70.3 Racine Reviews

Overall the race was good.  There were a lot of fluids out there especially on a hot day.  The only bad thing, is I heard they ran out of finishing shirts and medals for those that finished later in the day.  The race knew how many people were signed up that it's easy to plan for this.  It's not fair for those later finishers. 

• jmarasigan Amateur 18 posts since
    Aug 4, 2007
    2. Jul 19, 2010 10:20 AM (in response to Guest )

great event w/ great volunteers!  the swim course, bike course and run course were all amazing.  it's exactly what i expect for a Ironman 70.3 race, fun, tough and memorable.

couldn't say thank you enough for all the volunteers, the city of Racine and the locals who came out to watch, cheer and spray us w/ nice cold water on the run course.  Thank you, thank you  and Thank you Racine, Wisconsin!!!!   Jean M.  Chicago, Ill.

• Karen Oberman Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 30, 2009
    3. Jul 19, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to Guest )

Fantastic Race Event! The volunteers were numerous and helpful; I thought the course layout was easy to navigate and the community was extremely hospitable! I can't wait to do this race again!

• cristienutter Expert 51 posts since
    Oct 24, 2007
    4. Jul 19, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to Guest )

Support staff was excellent!  The swim course was definitely longer this year (than in years past).  The bike course is pretty torn up and needs repairs.  Fortunately, the staff had marked/outlined the potholes with orange paint so you could TRY to avoid any problems.  The run course was the same as previous years, with excellent support and lots of aid stations for those (overheated) athletes. Great T shirt and hat given out at the finish line this year!  Great idea to withhold the goodies until the athletes actually complete the course!

• dfilarski Rookie 2 posts since
    Sep 21, 2009
    5. Jul 19, 2010 10:22 AM (in response to jmarasigan)

I agree on the amazing Volunteers and Spectators.  Thank you so much!  All the hoses and sprinklers made such a difference on the run!

• Gmichalek Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 8, 2010
    6. Jul 19, 2010 10:25 AM (in response to Guest )

Did not like the race. The roads were in horrible shape. My bottles dropped twice and the last drop my entire bracket fell off the bike with the screw completely cracked off. Unless the roads are repaired, I will not be doing the race again. The water stations and the people were great. There was only (1) athlete talk session too.

• Jillyfish Rookie 5 posts since
    Oct 1, 2007
    7. Jul 19, 2010 10:28 AM (in response to Guest )

WOW!  Can't believe they'd run out of medals and shirts. Strange for an Ironman produced event.  I too, thought it was well run (as it always had been when it was "Spirit of Racine").  Did find two things disappointing - they ran out of ice for a while at a few aid stations - especially on a hot day as this was, that was not acceptable.  In all their years of putting on races, they should have been adequately stocked.  I also found the transition area extremely packed in tight.  NOWHERE to put even the only necessary gear you need next to your bike. Everyone was too tightly crammed together.  Ended up with gear spread all over and people running and pushing their bikes over everyone's gear to get in and out of transition.  No way to avoid it as there was truly NO ROOM.  That needs to be resolved.  I have also always felt they need to make a rule to limit the size of gear bag you are allowed to bring into any race transition area.  Some people bring body bags!!  It's insane! Otherwise, a great race overall. Hopefully these issues are looking into and some changes are made.  Thanks to all the great volunteers and fans!  Appreciate it all!

• Rodak1956 Rookie 1 posts since
    Nov 12, 2009
    8. Jul 19, 2010 10:35 AM (in response to Guest )

I loved the race. This was my first Ironman event and I can't imagine a better place to do it. The swim site was beautful and well marked. I loved the kiddie pools as you came off the beach to wash the sand off your feet. The transition area was set up well. The bike roads were a little rough but well marked, patrolled, and supported. The run couldn't be better....so many volunteers and great support from the community with sprinklers and hoses along the way. I loved the end with the announcer shouting out my name as I crossed the finish line. I will be back.

• bkoenig64 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 19, 2010
    9. Jul 19, 2010 10:38 AM (in response to Guest )

Great accomplishment to finish and congrats to all!...a couple of disappointments though....1) My brother started in the latest group and did not receive a medal when he finished.  This was very disappointing. There is no reason an Ironman event should run out of medals when the number of participants is known.  I think those who didn't receive a medal the day of the race should not only get a medal but also other merchandise, free registration for next year, etc.  2) The road was in terrible shape.  I lost 2 water bottles from the bumps, and witnessed more than a few flat tires.  The road condition was unacceptable for an Ironman event.  3) Stations running out of ice!?!  The late finishers had many disadvantages: no ice at stations, no medals, etc.

Overall, the race was fun and adequately run, but I will most likely not participate next year if road conditions do not improve.

• Lore1119 Rookie 1 posts since
    Feb 1, 2008
    10. Jul 19, 2010 10:47 AM (in response to Guest )

I wasn't happy first off with them running out of medals and shirts and second them taking down some of the water stops for the people who finished last and who were in the last waves on the bike and swim.  But I would have to say the Volunteers and the support staff were great.

• Grace6463 Rookie 1 posts since
    Dec 2, 2008
    11. Jul 19, 2010 10:51 AM (in response to Guest )

As one of those later finishers, and completing my 1st 1/2 IM, it was pretty disappointing not to get a medal at the finish line.  T-shirts I can maybe understand, because you never know how they fit (esp women's) and people change sizes.  But there should have been a medal for everyone who registered.  Guess I expect more from an Ironman run event, and a $200 entry.....

Not sure what you can do about the roads, it is WI.  I had ridden the course and knew there were bad spots.  The fact that people went out and marked them was very cool! 

Never dawned on me to put my running shoes in a plastic bag, I hit T2 right after the storm hit and everything was swimming in a puddle of sandy water.  Live and learn.

The volunteers, people in their yards with water, and all the spectators were awesome! 

Pepsi was a nice touch at the aid stations.  

North Beach is beautiful, so well kept.  Good job Racine!  It was very nice of Lake Michigan to cooperate and be comfortable for the swim. 

It was hot and hard and an amazing experience!!  Seeing guys with IM tats walking the run course made me feel better! 

• davi1373 Rookie 3 posts since
    Sep 4, 2008
    12. Jul 19, 2010 10:53 AM (in response to Guest )

I enjoyed the race and thought it was much better managed and supported than some other 70.3's that I have done.  It is a shock they ran out of medals - guess they were expecting a lot of DNFs?  I also was disappointed they didn't have cold wet sponges and ran out of ice.  I'd prefer the sponges to ice as you can take the cold water with you and wipe your face with it.  The road for the race course was pretty rough at times, but over all I was really pleased with the race and the course!!! Volunteers and support staff and the town were great!!

• carolynruns262 Rookie 3 posts since
    Dec 16, 2007
    13. Jul 19, 2010 10:57 AM (in response to Guest )

Excellent organization and support. Roads were bad but doable for this waay back in the packer. Mother nature was ugly - rough water for the swim and too hot. I had to sag out with heat issues around 30 miles and now must do it again next year just to earn a  medal. I especially like that they kept the finish line open for the last athlete even though everything was used up and gone. And I liked that they lumped us old athletes in one wave and allowed 10 minutes before the next wave - who swam over us anyway due to the rough water but I appreciate the effort.

• Peggy Neuzil Rookie 1 posts since
    Mar 21, 2008
    14. Jul 19, 2010 10:58 AM (in response to Guest )

The volunteer staff was awesome and the race was well-organized overall. A huge thank you to all of the lifeguards, EMTs, police officers, and other volunteers who were out in the water to cheer on and assist the swimmers. It was very well orchestrated, with the safety of the swimmers clearly a priority. It got a little choppy out there - how about bringing the swim a little closer to shore in future years?

I unfortunately got DQd because I didn't finish within the time limit for the swim. After paying for the race, buying a new bike specifically for the race, and training for several months, I was absolutely crushed when I was told I couldn't go on to do the bike and run. I didn't care about my time - I just wanted to finish. (Then I didn't even get a t-shirt because they gave them out at the end.) My recommendation is to either have an overall time limit for the whole race (I might have made up time in the bike and run after going over time in the swim), or let people continue on without a timing chip if they don't make the time limit for one of the three events (so they can finish, but without an official time). And, give all participants a t-shirt as part of what they receive for their $200  race fee.

More athlete talk sessions would be good. I was traveling in from Chicago and didn't make it in time to get to the one that was scheduled on Saturday.

One final suggestion is to let the businesses in town know the race is coming so they are prepared. Jimmy John's had run out of bread the day before the race!

Peggy

1 2 3 ... 8 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...