Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1809 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jul 20, 2010 7:05 AM by RunningLex RSS
SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
Jan 13, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 19, 2010 5:46 PM

Stupid Newbie Nutrition Question

C25K is part of what will end up being a lot of lifestyle changes in my life. I figured getting off the couch last week & a quit date for a Stop Smoking program set for next Monday, I had more than enough to deal with for a while. Wrong...LOL. I'm underweight - part of what needs fixing & because I've never had a huge appetite or problems with extra pounds, I've never paid attention to what I eat. I wasn't planning on worrying about it until running was a more comfy part of my routine & until the worst of the nicotine/smoking withdrawal symptoms were past. But judging by how I'm feeling, the time to start paying attention to my nutrition is...NOW.

I know the basic food groups, I can quickly call up the proper carb-protein-fats ratios & I'm not a junk food junkie although my eating habits do leave a great deal to be desired. At this point I'm not concerned about the minutia of micronutrients or 'elite' type performance eating. But I suspect eating correctly before & after my C25K sessions can only help. I've mentioned I'm underweight - result of years of battling untreated depression which I'm currently dealing with. I don't have any eating disorders; I simply have no real interest in food when I'm depressed. I'd been eating because I have to not because I enjoyed it. I've found my appetite & have actually put on a few pounds.

I want the RIGHT kind of poundage going on. Yes, I could sure use some body fat but am interested in good, lean muscle mass & having energy for my runs without getting the high carb crash from the wrong kinds of carbs during or just after a run. Yes, I will certainly be making time to review nutrition & do some meal planning but time is a bit tight the next few weeks. So I'm asking for help here - bearing in mind that I'm still in the very early stages of C25K. I do my runs VERY early in the morning now, generally well before 0600. I get up not long before that & right now, eating that early is... forget it! I'll have to work on changing that but I'll wait until next week when I'm not having to get up at 0500 or run almost right after I get up.

What sorts of things then, should I snack on the evening before a run & what should I nibble on after my run, cooldown & cleanup routine that will keep me doing okay these next few weeks?

Thanx in advance!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• tomscookie Pro 188 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    1. Jul 19, 2010 6:32 PM (in response to SlogOn)
    Re: Stupid Newbie Nutrition Question

This was posted by AFatManRunning ealier today and I think I would help you too..

~Getting the right number of calories is important, as either too many or too few can lead to weight gain.  I use LiveStrong.com's MyPlate application.  You can punch in your weight, your general activity level, and your weigh goal (e.g., maintain current weight, gain X lbs. per week, lose X lbs. per week), and it will give you a calorie target. ~

Eating unprocessed fruits, veggies, lean meats, whole grains is a great way to get to your target weight. When you quit smoking next week, you're metabolism is going to change somewhat. Give your body a few weeks to stabilize without the nicotine.

By the way, good job with all the changes. My last smoke was 01/01/10. My husband quit 11 weeks ago. It's hard, but you can do it. You have all of us for support.

Starting Weight  297 lbs 04/01/10

C25K - Start Date - 07/12/10

C25K - Graduation Date - 09/16/10

Current Weight 248 lbs 09/17/10

Ace of Hearts 5k - 10/10/10   54:08

• tomscookie Pro 188 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    3. Jul 20, 2010 2:33 AM (in response to SlogOn)

Slog...my sister is huge TDF fan as well! She records everything so she doesn't miss a minute of it. She's been to every town in France where the races are run. She lights up when anyone mentions it or talks about Lance.

She used to do cycling trips in Europe. She loved it. She gave up the cycling trips so she could take my Mom with her to Europe before she passed away. I told her she needs to get back into it. She says she's too old (62). I told her to go for it! Life is way to short!

Starting Weight  297 lbs 04/01/10

C25K - Start Date - 07/12/10

C25K - Graduation Date - 09/16/10

Current Weight 248 lbs 09/17/10

Ace of Hearts 5k - 10/10/10   54:08

• bookworm1789 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 20, 2010
    4. Jul 20, 2010 6:09 AM (in response to SlogOn)

I've been underweight for most of my life as well. The neat thing is that running has given me a voracious appetite - I'm not used to being hungry and wanting to eat! I've actually put on 3lbs since I started the program and I just started W4.

The chemicals from the cigarettes, and also many medications can seriously affect your appetite. My son's on Adderall for ADHD and it completely takes away his appetite. I took him off it for the summer and he's gone from 62lbs to 68lbs in 4 weeks.

But back to running and nutrition...if you run in the morning can you squeeze in a glass of orange juice or a half of a banana before you go? You'll have more energy for your run. Nutritionally I try to eat mostly lean protein, whole grains, fruits & veggies. I've cut sugar, white starches, and caffeine out of my diet as they were a significant cause of my anxiety & occasional depression. It's amazing how much caffeine & sugar affect our body's chemistry and therefore our moods. 

I'm sure once the chemicals from smoking are out of your body you'll feel much better. I'm so excited for you, taking this huge step!!

• RunningLex Amateur 30 posts since
    Jul 7, 2010
    6. Jul 20, 2010 7:05 AM (in response to SlogOn)

Hey Slog - GREAT job setting AWESOME goals and taking so much action to be healthy!!!  That is wonderful to read about! Please keep us updated on your progress.  My last cigarette was Nov. 17, 2005.  The first two weeks I was probably the most stupid/annoying person in the world. The chemical withdrawals and my body adjusting to not having nicotine after years of smoking, was unbelievable!!  I couldn't walk, talk, or hold anything! I tripped, dropped stuff, and stuttered all over the place! I am happy to report it didn't last and was totally worth the effort!!!  I have saved THOUSANDS of dollars, by not buying cigarettes, gum (to cover smokers breath) and tons of money at doctor's and pharmacy's from health complications of smoking. Hang in there!! You can do it!!!

I'm not an early runner, but my busy life style makes heathly eating a challenge at times. I am a big fan of Low Fat Mozerella string cheese (great protien source) and different protein bars.  You can check out their caloric value and contents right on the package and find the one that is right for you.  I love Pure Protien bars, for flavor, and calorie/protein content.

One of my favorite sayings - a car needs gas, and your body needs food!!!  Fill it up with the good stuff and it will take you a long way!

Happy Running!!!

alexis

1st 5K - September 12, 2010 - Houston, Tx

2nd 5K - Oct. 2, 2010 Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure - Houston, Tx

1st 10K - Oct. 30, 2010 Monster Mash - Houston, TX

1st 1/2 Marathon - January 16, 2011 USA FIT - Sugar Land, Tx

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...