Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2372 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Jul 22, 2010 6:24 PM by Dees Dude
Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
Nov 19, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 17, 2010 8:30 AM

HEAT!  I cant do it !?!?!

Ive been running for a couple years,  lately 30 miles per week in a training plan for the Chicago Marathon in the fall.   However lately its been warmer and very humid. 80+ degrees,  when I head out to run I get extremely fatigued at 2-3 miles.  Today I had to stop for a couple minutes at 2 miles, I never ever  have to stop.  And finishing 5 is murderous.   Whats up with me?   Normally I sweat alot and my fav temp to run in is the 50's.     Am I just not built to run in heat?  I ran a 5 mile race in Long Beach recenlty and it was the 80's  but much drier than here in Chicago.  That race was fine, I did well and pushed hard.    I guess I dont know if its the heat, or if Im wearing myself down and need a break or what?   Anyone else out there struggling with the heat we've been having lately across most of the country?   I cant really afford to stop as I really want to continue with this training plan for the marathon.    Tommorrow Im supposed to run 12 miles,  Ill try getting up at 5 and running before the sun is up high.  Hopefully that works out better!   ??

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    1. Jul 17, 2010 8:59 AM (in response to Beer and Cupcakes)
    Re: HEAT! I cant do it !?!?!

The humidity is the killer.  Believe me, it is hot and humid here in Georgia.  I run slower and stop more often in this weather, I just got home from this morning's run wringing wet with sweat.  Our temps are only in the low 80's today, but the humidity is 80% and that's what slows me down more than the heat.  A "dry" 80 degrees is bearable.  I've run through lots of summers so I'm kind of used to it.  After a while you get acclimated and its a little easier - though you'll still run slower when the humidity is this high.

No matter how miserable it is to run in the humidity (and having to get up EARLY to beat the heat) I still love summer. I wish it could be summer all year long!

• JamesJohnsonLMT Legend 1,160 posts since
    Aug 23, 2009
    2. Jul 17, 2010 1:00 PM (in response to Beer and Cupcakes)

Even though we come into this world  bathed in 98.6 degrees, I think  we have a built-in aversion to exercise  in the heat due to the very real  danger of hypothermia. That being  said, I agree with Mary that we can  get used to it. In fact, we can  thrive with proper nutrition,  electrolyte balance and hydration if we  are proactive enough. So far,  most of my PRs at any distance are in the  stinking heat - even one of my  warmest marathons. Go figure.

Remember that 5 miler in Long Beach? You're right  that  the advantage there was lower humidity, allowing your sweat to  evaporate  more easily, but increased evaporation can lead to increased   dehydration when the rate of moisture loss exceeds the rate of water   absorption, which is possible over a wider range of temperatures than we   often think.

A good example of this is in biking,   which can result in dehydration from the increased removal of water as   air speeds increase, even in lower temperatures. This is one reason  why  bikers are fully clothed at all temps, to help seal in the  moisture. As a  runner, I often wear long sleeves in the heat during  long trainers for  the same purpose. When moisture is already present on  your skin, there  is less need to sweat. Without clothing the sweat  drips off and needs to  be replaced more rapidly. I often douse my head and neck with water every few miles in the heat to help this effect. You can even keep a wet towel handy when running loops.

One  aspect of hot weather running that can be  misleading is what happens to  the way we feel when circulation is  shunted to the surface of the skin  for better cooling. This diversion of  blood flow away from the rest of  the body produces an earlier feeling  of fatigue that can be misleading  when you are not used to it. Of  course, the priority is always blood  flow to the brain, so  light-headedness lets you know when you are  approaching your limit. It  helps though, to know the effect is not due  to the exertion per se, but  to the borrowing of resources to deal with  cooling.

Heat  is not the only thing that borrows  circulation from your working  muscles. Digestion does as well, which is  why I often will not eat  before running in the heat less than two  hours or so. There's only so  much blood to go around, which is what  makes proactive hydration so  important. It can take several hours for  the tissues of your body to  become fully hydrated, so you want to make  sure you are fully stocked  the day before your target run, not just  with water but with foods like  chunks of fruit that release their water  slowly and are less likely to  go straight to the bladder. Better  hydration = greater blood volume, and  less of an effect when resources  are shunted.

When  runs exceed  two hours or so in length, having food in the pipeline can  help. Once  again, I have found foods like chunks of melon and pineapple  to be  great ways to release water and simple carbs slowly during the  run, with  less risk of dehydration due to digestive needs or emptying.  These  foods even contain enzymes to aid in digestion so you may need to   generate less of your own.

Even following such  advice, I  have pushed too hard too soon myself. If you feel like you  are going to  collapse, slow even to a walk if necessary, but don't  stop. Stopping  will reduce blood flow to the brain and increase risk of  blacking out.  Keep moving against the wind direction if possible,  carry a phone on  high risk days and always carry a water bottle. I make  sure my stomach  is sloshing early and take swigs every mile. Remember  that water is  absorbed through the large intestine, and it takes about  20 minutes for  this to take place from time of drinking. This can take  longer as your  exertion level increases. Start your long runs at a  slower pace than  planned, and gradually pick up the pace as your  efficiency increases. Do  this in your target marathon as well.

Good luck... You too can  learn to LOVE THE HEAT.

• hlwilliams17 Expert 40 posts since
    Oct 10, 2007
    4. Jul 20, 2010 12:35 PM (in response to Beer and Cupcakes)

I live in Texas and summer running is pretty miserable.  It barely dips below 80 overnight so even runs at 5 am are warm and humid.  I'll be starting my own marathon training this week and the way I best deal with the heat is to either run as early as possible to avoid the heat and to also do at least one run a week indoors on the treadmill.  I hate the treadmill but it is a necessary evil with weather like this.  I did my first TM run in a while last night and honestly, it was the best run I've had in weeks.  I was able to keep my pace and even finish strong with some short speed intervals.  Based on that, I am going to continue to do one or two runs indoors until the weather cools down a bit and any outdoor runs I'll do as early as I can to beat the heat.

It's not just you, it affects everyone.  Some more than others but you just find ways to do your best and get around it.

• Scott1977 Amateur 12 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    5. Jul 20, 2010 12:46 PM (in response to Beer and Cupcakes)

Hey Jim,

Being in the burbs of Chicago I know exactly how you feel.  I am also training for the Chicago marathon in October and Sunday was my long run of 15 miles.  Well, because of the heat and humidity I only ran about 13.5 miles out of the 15 (this was at 8 in the morning).  I had to stop a few times and walk a bit to cool down, refill my water bottles and dump some water over my head.  I felt defeated and bummed out, but I had to tell myself that it's definitely the humidity and not me or my training.  Whatever you do don't let it get you down.  The only advice I can give you is to keep doing what you're doing, stop when you feel you have to.  Other than that just hydrate as much as possible.  With this heat and humidity it will be hard to over hydrate.  I have a fuel belt that holds four 8 oz. water bottles that helps a lot, which is something you might want to consider.  I also eat gels before and during any run usually longer than an hour and half or so.  Good luck in your training and in the marathon in October.

Scott

• Ninerman72 Amateur 12 posts since
    Apr 6, 2009
    6. Jul 20, 2010 4:48 PM (in response to Scott1977)

Heat... can't do it either and i was raised in the San Joaquin Valley (Cen-Cal)... i now live the in L.A. area and prefer to get up at 5 for runs. My only advice would be to have H20 with you- i carry a sports bottle that has an elastic strap (bought at REI), which makes it comfortable to carry. Other than that, listen to your body and rest when you can- best o' luck. Since you are doing some pretty serious distances, having some gels on you would be a good idea.

• Dees Dude Rookie 6 posts since
    Jul 22, 2010
    7. Jul 22, 2010 6:24 PM (in response to Ninerman72)

Florida here. I know someones gonna put a contract on me for this, during the summer when it starts getting hot, avoid as much A/C as you can, and

raise the thermostat at home . Takes a while, but little by little, you get better accustomed to the heat and humidity. Still have to stop and take breaks and

lots of fluids..... but you stop muttering the four letter words under breath so much too.

Just my two cents.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points