Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1307 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 21, 2010 6:39 PM by elev8torguy RSS
elev8torguy Amateur 24 posts since
Jun 30, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 21, 2010 4:10 PM

Coming back after injury (start over?)

Basically the title states it all. I had shin splints after the first three weeks of c25k (in addition to about 5 weeks of free form running around the neighborhood before I started the c25k program). I went to jackrabbitsports.com and had my run analyzed, and purchased a new pair of shoes. The salesperson suggested I take some time off then try again with the new shoes. Sure enough the pain is completely gone nearly two weeks later and am looking forward to getting out on the road, albeit a bit nervous.

Should I pick up the program at W4D1? Do I start over?

• Janet689 Pro 122 posts since
    Feb 10, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 21, 2010 6:10 PM (in response to elev8torguy)
    Re: Coming back after injury (start over?)

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest you try repeating week 3 day 1.  See how you feel during/after the run.  Make sure you spend enough time warming up and cooling down as well as stretching.  If you have pain, stop and walk.

What you do from there is based on how you feel.  If you feel like week 3 is way to hard, try going back to week 2. I don't think you'll have to start over completely, but you don't want to reinjure yourself either, so take it a little easier the first few times out there.

Janet

Started C25K 2/14/10 Age 51 and NEVER have run before.

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/20/10, end of W5 of C25K. 40:44

Spring Forward 5K (YMCA) 4/10/10 39:57

Focus 5K Run/Walk 5/13/10 32:24... in Orlando on a totally flat course

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/19/11 37:59

?Operation Backpack 5K 5/21/11 ??? fast-paced race, finished next to last

Coventry Challenge 5K 3/17/12 38:11

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points