Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19880 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2010 5:46 PM by Firechicklovespugs Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • kelatdavis Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 22, 2010 2:51 PM (in response to graciels)
    Re: 200+ lbs and Starting C25K on July 18, 2010

Hi,

Hope you don't mind me joining.  Its so nice a refreshing to see people that are going through the same things that I am.  I started the c25k program three weeks ago and I am will run w3d2 tomorrow morning.  My goal has always been just to run a 5k which I plan to do in October or November, but the last couple of days I have been frustrated because I thought that my weight would be going down but instead it has gone up a couple of pounds.  =(  I have not changed my eating (which I know I should) but I figured adding in the exercise would at least would change the scale a few pounds down.

I carry most of my weight around the middle and it feels like that I have just gotten bigger in that area.  Also my digestive system has been all over the place its so weird.

Has anyone else had these kind of problems.

I would love to join a yahoo group, its so nice to be able to chat with other people.  =)

Kelly

• chaunaci Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 2, 2010
    17. Jul 22, 2010 9:28 PM (in response to kelatdavis)

I had a big wieght gain at the beginning of my training.  I guess I don't get to treat myself with more food just b/c I'm exercising!

Then I gained 1/2 lb each week for the next 4 weeks, and then I stopped weighing myself.  It's been about 3 weeks now - time to get on the scale again.  I don't have one at home, so I need to go to the gym.

Muscle gain? Water retention?  Whatever it is, it's frustrating.

editing to add that my trainer recommends measuring your health by resting heart rate instead of the scale.

Dec 14, 2007
    18. Jul 22, 2010 9:35 PM (in response to graciels)

Thanks so much.  I am trying to focus on training for the 5k instead of the weight loss right now.  I have always had a horrible time following a weight loss plan.  SO I am going to just try and find a nutrition program to help train for my race.  I think the weight will come off, but just not as fast as I was thinking it would. =)

• Kathy in Bama Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 21, 2010
    19. Jul 23, 2010 6:22 AM (in response to graciels)

I'm 5'7" - 233#, age 40, and am on Day 3 of C25K. I found that I wasn't really in good enough shape to do the program as outlined in the article here. I ran just a little (2x1min) the first day, doubled it the second day, and plan to go for what is actually given in the program today. (5min walking + (1min running + 1.5min walking)x6) I don't know if I can do it today, but I don't plan to give up. I'll get there eventually. My body is rebelling, though. I have a pain in my hip from last night's walk/run. It feels all knotted up and I walk with limp. Did I mention it hurts? I think the key for me is going to be to push on through and keep doing this. I have always wanted to become a runner, and things like this have held me back. This time I'm not stopping. Not weighing either. Exercise can make people gain weight temporarily due to water retention and muscle building. What would I change if I gained or lost weight? Nothing. So not weighing.

Anyway, I got alittle off track. Is the hip problem I have common for beginning runners? Does anyone know?

Not very fast but loving it anyway!

• fenderleigh Pro 69 posts since
    May 25, 2010
    21. Jul 23, 2010 9:41 AM (in response to graciels)

I think a stall in the weight loss is pretty normal. let's face it, exercising 3 times a week isn't actually a whole lot. I didn't have a HR monitor early on, but now that I run 4 miles at a time, I burn about 500 calories. but that's a lot more exercise than the first weeks of C25k. I'd guess, that those early weeks are only burning 100-200 extra calories, which in itself isn't much. Weight loss is more about changes in diet. it doesn't take much to eat away all the calories I burn running. I will add that I saw a big change in my body, even when the numbers don't change. Definitely measure yourself (chest, waist, hips, thigh, arm).

There is also a very active thread/group for 200+ that you all might want to join. It includes those just starting out, and those who've been at this running thing for awhile.

Good luck to you all. If you told me 6 months ago I'd be a runner, and actually feel like a runner, and look forward to my runs (ok, not in the heat), I would never have believed you. Now, when I hit the 3 mile mark, I think, "ONLY one mile to go" when I used to think I could never run a whole mile. C25K works if you stick at it, even if you need to repeat days or weeks.

Dec 14, 2007
    22. Jul 23, 2010 11:39 AM (in response to fenderleigh)

Kathy....That is a great weigh in philsophy, because your right I wouldn't stop running if the scale went up or down.  I think that I will start weighin myself weekly as a break.  =)

fenderleigh....Can you direct me/us to the other thread.  It would be great to chat with people that have been doing this for awhile.  Thanks.

I ran w3d2 this morning.  It was rough because I was sick yesterday, but I pushed through it.  YEAH ME!

As for pain.  My knees have been bothering me while I run.  I am hoping to go out and get some new shoes this weekend so fingers crossed that solves the knee pain.

• Texas Aggie Rookie 12 posts since
    Sep 13, 2005
    24. Jul 23, 2010 3:42 PM (in response to graciels)

I started this week as well, but haven't gotten in the full 20 minutes (10 60 second runs). I've done 5 both days surrounded by a 2.5 mile total (walk and the 5 1-minute runs). I've done my own program before and think the C25K is a bit too much too soon, but I'm willing to work it, even if I have to repeat all the weeks. I hope to go at least 15 minutes tomorrow and all 20 next week before going to week 2.

• Charles McKenna Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 23, 2010
    25. Jul 23, 2010 4:31 PM (in response to graciels)

Hello!! I am going to start an 8 week program tomorrow. I played sports through high school and college, but stopped eating right and am n ow 350 pounds and 6'4"... I hope that I can take it as slow as the program tells me to, I tend to always go faster than I am told...I think this thread is great, good to know people are changing their lives!!

• nchowning Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 16, 2010
    26. Jul 23, 2010 6:00 PM (in response to Kathy in Bama)

Kathy: I noticed something in your post.  Are you running every day?  If so, you should definitely take a day off between runs especially when starting.  I know sometimes it's hard to do, since a day of rest doesn't feel like it's helping with the weight loss/getting in shape, but it really is.  If you go full force and run every day (especially while having hip pain/discomfort) you're just going to get burned out or end up with an early injury.  On one of your "resting days" if you feel energetic, just go for a walk.  You can never take a break from walking

I start week 2 of C25K on Sunday morning.  I'm pretty excited (since week 1 was getting pretty stale).  Just figured I'd throw this out there, are any of you guys using PodRunner intervals?  Podrunner intervals follows C25K and makes the experience so much more enjoyable.   http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I'm not weighing myself.  You will gain weight at first (or at least maintain your current weight) in most cases.  When you're new to exercise (and start exercising) your body requires more fuel.  You'll feel more hungry and probably eat more (combined with gaining muscle, water retention, etc...).  The key is learning to eat the right things.  Once you've built up to being able to burn 500+ calories per workout (and adjusted your diet), you should notice the weight dropping steadily.  In the past, I've lost around 5 lbs per week just by adjusting diet and exercising 3-5 times per week.  I wish I could just continue following the diet haha.

Watch and follow my journey!  It begins, officially, on October 1st, 2010.  http://nathanloses.tumblr.com

• SPI 64 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 23, 2010
    27. Jul 23, 2010 10:17 PM (in response to graciels)

Hi,

I'm 45, 5'6", weigh 209 and have three kids 13, 15, 17.   I started seriously taking charge of my health in February by using a treadmill and eating correctly.  I started out at the weight of 230 so it is working - slowy but working.  I am not worried about the time it takes me to get in shape because I just want to do it right and stay with it for life.   I have been thinking about starting the c25k plan and I am going to just do it.  I'm starting on Sunday.

This is my first post and I hope I can find my way back to this thread - lol.

Sue

• KG Aimee Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    28. Jul 25, 2010 10:47 AM (in response to graciels)

Hi All,

I thought I'd introduce myself. Seems like most of us are around the same place in our running. I finished W3D3 yesterday. I also figured by exercising I would see some changes in my weight without changing my diet. I figured, one thing at a time. Anyway when my weight didn't change much, I quit weighing myself. I notice I have more energy and that means more to me than the number on the scale. Not going to lie, that number really bothers, me but I'm not letting that be my focus right now. Getting through the C25K is my focus. I'm moving to a new building at work in a couple of months. No cafeteria in the new building. I figure that will help too.

At first I was having terrible pain in the muscle on the outer part of my ankle. It wasn't so bad while doing the run segments, but when I would drop back to walking it was almost bad enough that I thought I would have to stop. I've been making sure to stretch before and after running and I try not to heel strike so much. Those things must be working, plus the muscles in the front of my shin must be getting stronger because I didn't notice it as much while running yesterday.

Keep up the good work everybody!

-Aimee

06/27/2010-1st start C25K

01/01/2012-Starting Weight: 305 lbs.
    03/12/2012-Current Weight: 268.6 lbs.

03/16/2012-Restart C25K

• KG Aimee Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    29. Jul 25, 2010 10:49 AM (in response to KG Aimee)

Oh... I have 3 kids--15 (swimmer), 13 (cheerleader), 9 (football, soccer). I'm 5'9" and turning 40 in 4 months. I really want to run a 5K to celebrate my birthday.

06/27/2010-1st start C25K

01/01/2012-Starting Weight: 305 lbs.
    03/12/2012-Current Weight: 268.6 lbs.

03/16/2012-Restart C25K

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...