Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

19060 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2010 5:46 PM by Firechicklovespugs Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • nchowning Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 16, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    31. Jul 25, 2010 3:10 PM (in response to graciels)
    Re: 200+ lbs and Starting C25K on July 18, 2010

Just got back from my first week 2 run.  Boy was that interesting.  I finished week 1 on Thursday and had Friday and Saturday off from running.  I think that was a terrible idea.  My legs did NOT want to move.  By the second half I was struggling just to keep going.  I made it though.  This was probably my hardest run yet.  Interestingly I wasn't running out of air as much this time (I attribute that to quitting smoking haha.  I'm approaching 1 week or being smoke free!).  My legs were just in tremendous pain.  I'm going to have to try some different stretches prior to running I guess.

I'll probably join sparkpeople too.  Seems like a cool place!

Watch and follow my journey!  It begins, officially, on October 1st, 2010.  http://nathanloses.tumblr.com

• cmetryagain Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 19, 2010
    32. Jul 25, 2010 4:28 PM (in response to graciels)

Hi,

I'd like to join you as I just finished w2d1 today.  I also have 3 children ages 22 (she just did w1d1 yesterday), 12 (soccer player and completed her 1st 5k last Sept. finishing 3rd in her age division 28:41) and my baby is 9 (also a soccer player.)  My younger 2 plan on running a 5k end of September.  I am 5'5" and 225lbs and soooo slow compared to anyone let alone my 12 year old.  I lumber along alone, mostly on my treadmill but when the weather cools off I plan on going outside if my embarrassment over my lack of speed ever subsides.

I have assorted aches and pains and barely made my 90 second runs, but I did make it through so I'm going to hang onto that.  I know about the weight gain issue as I weighed 2 lbs more this morning than yesterday or the day before.  Very depressing yet I can't seem to stop myself from jumping on the stupid scale every morning.  I'm hoping that with all of us on the same journey and in the same boat we can help each other through.

I walked for a couple of weeks before starting this and experienced hip pain in both hips that I'd never had before any of the 1/2 dozen times I tried to stick with a walking program in the past.  It went away after the 1st 2 wks of walking, but I do have knee pain with the runs.

Looking forward to getting through this with all of you!

Just keep getting out there.

Laurie

Jul 16, 2010
    34. Jul 25, 2010 5:56 PM (in response to graciels)

Here's how I like to think about the pain.

http://www.inperspire.com/Motivational-gym-towel-Pain-is-weakness-leaving-p/twl004.htm

By the way, I'm totally buying that towel =P

Watch and follow my journey!  It begins, officially, on October 1st, 2010.  http://nathanloses.tumblr.com

• Charles McKenna Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 23, 2010
    36. Jul 25, 2010 8:08 PM (in response to graciels)

Alright...so had my first run/walk workout in about a year yesterday. Man carrying around all this weight really is hard, I am glad that I decided to do this now... Got up this morning and could barely walk, I was so sore in my quads. To nchowning, do not stretch before you run but always stretch after. The best thing to do is do some light warm up like jumping jacks or jog in place for a couple minutes to warm up the muscles in your legs. I would like to know how much weight everyone lost their first 2 weeks, it will give me motivation to work out as hard as possible and stick to my nutrition!! :-)

• Quilty Amateur 16 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    37. Jul 25, 2010 8:21 PM (in response to graciels)

I stated earlier that wi would be starting this.  Well, second time out, my plantar fascii muscle in my foot started hurting again. I am going to restart this week.  ON Friday, I will be getting fitted for proper shoes.  I will be out of town a few days so hope I can find places to run/walk. 

I have done enough of walking and running to know that I need to get back to it regularly. 

Go ME

• kelatdavis Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    38. Jul 25, 2010 8:34 PM (in response to KG Aimee)

Its so nice to see all you guys.  I hate that we are all having to deal with this, but I love that we all have each other to bounce things off of.

Tomorrow morning is w3d3 for me.

I hate running outside "in public" so I get up at 5 am and run.  Noone is out and its just like enough to see.  =)

• cmetryagain Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 19, 2010
    39. Jul 25, 2010 8:47 PM (in response to nchowning)

My oldest has a water bottle with that slogan, evidently it is from the Marines but it sure is fitting!  We saw an ROTC group out running yesterday and 3 of them had tshirts with that slogan.  I'll have to find a way to get one too (if they come in my size!)  Tomorrow I walk while the kids run so hopefully not too much "weakness leaving the body" at least until Tues.  Have great runs everyone.

Laurie

• Lisa68877 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 21, 2010
    40. Jul 25, 2010 9:09 PM (in response to graciels)

Hello everyone!

I'm starting my W1D1 tomorrow and very nervous! I've never been into sports or activities that included much physical strain. But my 29 year old cousin was diagnosed with breast cancer at the end of June and her husband started a team in our local Run for the Cure at the beginning of Oct. I was just going to walk it (5k), but I started thinking that if she has to deal with chemo and everything else that's going to be coming up, then I should be able to run to raise money for a cure!

I'm 5'5", over 200 and have 2 little ones (3 1/2 and 1). I will probably weigh myself before starting tomorrow, but I'm not going to concentrate on it. Not owning a scale helps too   Good luck to everyone and may you reach your goals!

Lisa

Jul 16, 2010
    41. Jul 25, 2010 9:23 PM (in response to Lisa68877)

Lisa: Good luck starting out tomorrow!  If you're new to running, the best advice that I can give you is get good running shoes, running socks, and compression shorts.  Until recently I'd tried to start running many many times and always gave up due to foot pain, shin splints, or chaffing.  I've finally got the right combination going and it's great!

If you've never bought running shoes, I'd highly recommend going to a specialty running store.  They will look at your feet and help you decide which shoes are right for you (my local "Fleet Feet" had me run barefoot on a treadmill and noticed that I'm an overpronator).  The specialty stores really have the know-how more than you or I would and their not really any more expensive than a regular shoe store (I got my Asics for $100).

Running socks, on the other hand, are expensive but are well worth the price.  I have two pairs that I bought for $9 each.  I found a two pack of Asic running socks for $14 at Dick's Sporting Goods last week.  They work pretty well too.  Running socks also make a big difference (as they have cushioning in the right places and wick sweat away from the body to prevent blisters etc...).

Compression shorts seem to go both ways.  I have two pairs of compression shorts that I bought at Wal-Mart ($10.00 each).  I normally wear a 38-40 waist in jeans.  The first pair that I bought was an XL (40-42 waist).  They fit me quite well (tight of course) but the crotch area was a little too big (which caused even more chaffing).  I picked up a second pair (large 34-38 waist) and they're perfect.  Long story short: buy them a size smaller than you think you should.

I look ridiculous in compression shorts... so I wear regular running shorts over them.  I've been thinking about getting a compression tank-top as well to wear under my T-shirts (I just wear a regular T-shirt right now).  I might get one next week to try out.

Hope this helps!  Once again, good luck everyone! =P

• chaunaci Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 2, 2010
    42. Jul 26, 2010 2:06 AM (in response to KG Aimee)

Aimee - I turn 40 in October!  Time to turn this train around, and start on a new healthy path.  Glad you're joining me!

• chaunaci Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 2, 2010
    43. Jul 26, 2010 2:12 AM (in response to graciels)

Gracie, I love that your daughter wants to run with you!!  Definitely take her up on it - runs go so much easier when you have a buddy.

• Lisa68877 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 21, 2010
    44. Jul 26, 2010 6:34 AM (in response to nchowning)

nchowning: thank you so much for the info! i did go out and buy a good pair of runners over the weekend. i know if i started with my reg shoes, there's no way i'd continue after the first day! i've never thought of running socks though. and are compression shorts the spandex bike shorts? or like them? i may have to look into those. i didn't want to spend a ton of money right away

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...