Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1986 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Jul 26, 2010 10:34 AM by evaino RSS
rocketjam Rookie 4 posts since
Mar 26, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 20, 2010 8:42 AM

sports/recovery drinks

Any opinions on Endurox vs. Cytomax vs. Accelerade? Just a matter of personal preference? Really better than just Gatorade or more of a placebo affect?

• rbird Legend 1,073 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    1. Jul 20, 2010 9:47 AM (in response to rocketjam)
    Re: sports/recovery drinks

I've never tried those but a simple smoothie made out of a banana, low fat chocolate milk and ice perks me right up after a long run.

2010 Space Coast Marathon 4:27:39

2011 Charleston Marathon 4:25:58

2011 Croom Fools Run 50k 6:16:51

2011 Marine Corps Marathon 4:24:48

2011 Jacksonville Bank Marathon 4:44:12 (4:45 Pace Leader)

2012 Florida Keys Ragnar Relay 28:20:47 (3rd place-Mixed Ultra)

Check it out - I'm bloggin'!

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    2. Jul 20, 2010 10:21 AM (in response to rocketjam)

I actually was just reading the stats and reviews of both Accellerade and Endurox R4.  The reviews are very good.  Accellerade is actually a pre or during run drink with carbs and a little protein.  Endurox R4 proclaims the carbs and protein to help you recover, recover more quickly, and with less soreness.  I scoped around and found the best deal and ordered both.  Just thought it was worth a try, especially since I need to eat carbs before a run, I run early on workdays, but I'm not good at eating early.  And anything that makes recovery less painful is worth it to me

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    3. Jul 26, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

On Saturday and Sunday I had Accellerade before and during my run.  I think it made a big difference over water.  I not only had more energy, but even though it was 85 with 89% humidity I didn't get that thirsty, dried out, tongue stuck to the roof of your mouth thing going on.  After my run both days I had a Muscle Milk Light RTD.  I purchased them when I bought my Endurox.  I recovered quickly each day, had energy to do other things, and I was less sore and achy both the day of the run, and the next morning.  It was wonderful, I never felt so good.  I only hope the R4 works as well.  They make RTD Accellerade, and right now there are a couple free with order on www.supplementwarehouse.com.  You should try them out and let me know what you think.  Melinda

• evaino Amateur 28 posts since
    Jul 6, 2010
    4. Jul 26, 2010 10:34 AM (in response to rocketjam)

Definitely not a placebo effect!  I'm not familiar with Cytomax, but Accelerade and Endorox are great. They're basically the same thing, though, so no need to get both. Both are 4:1 carb:protein, a ratio that has the support of many, many studies as being optimal for recovery.

The difference of using this stuff over gatorade, powerade, or the other carb only sports drinks is amazing. You'll be amazed at how good your legs feel the day after a hard run or tournament if you've been used to carb-only drinks or just water. It's really quite something.

chocolate milk is also considered a good recovery drink, although the downside there is that you need to be able to store it in a cool environment. 

There are other brands as well. The key is to find something that has both carbs and protein: between 4:1 and 2:1 carb:protein is what you want. 

Elsbeth

http://www.customstrength.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points