Skip navigation

16631 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 19, 2007 6:53 PM by Dave_D RSS
coach4twins Rookie 2 posts since
Jan 30, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 12, 2007 7:21 AM

coaching help

I have 7 year old daughters that are interested in soccer.  I am an athletic minded guy but have never played or been involved with soccer.  I was hoping to get some help on finding the best fundemental instruction possible.  They are both going to local camps this summer but would like to get them started early.  We were to late to sign up for the local rec league, but not real impressed with the organization as a whole.  I have been involved in other sports with my son and I am looking for the best instruction possible for them.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, I would also like to know at what age we should consider a club team if they take to the sport.  I would have to travel just to get them to a team.  I have checked and we do not have a club in our imediate area.  But, I am willing to do what it takes to feed their interest.  I would like some input on this item also.

Thanks in advance for any help that is posted.

• Dave_D Rookie 3 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    1. Apr 12, 2007 7:51 PM (in response to coach4twins)
    Re: coaching help

Welcome to the board coach4twins.  Twins...cool.

If you are thinking of coaching them in soccer in the rec program, I recommend taking your "F" or "E" USSF coaching license.  I know it is not required in rec, but it is useful.

Many of us started the way you are.  We knew very little to nothing.  I chose to get my USSF license and contined up the ladder through the years.

Later, I was an assistant to one of the best national "A" licensed coaches for two years.  I learned more from him than form all my classes and studies.

The game will also teach you.  he most important thing to learn now is how to treat the kids.  There are techniques that are useful for 7 year olds.  These will be different from the ones I now use for my BU-18 team.

Your next question as to when to move them to travel is controversial.  I feel they should wait.  In some places, people think they are behind if they are not already in a travel league at U-8.  You will need to play that by ear.  Find a place where they are happy, learning, and developing skills.

I have seen kids burn out early from entering the competitive leagues too early.  I have seen others thrive from this move.  There is no magic answer no matter what opinions you hear.  Make your decision based on what is best for your children, not based on what other people think.

Best wishes.

Coach Dave

• rick__1301 Rookie 1 posts since
    Sep 10, 2006
    3. Apr 15, 2007 9:06 PM (in response to Ciscooh)

Isn't there tryouts there for travel? most towns have an "a" and "b" and sometimes depending on how many kids are in the league a "c " team. I personally think that your daughter should try and play in the IM league no travel no pressure just fun. If you do want to coach its simple the more they touch the ball the more they learn. Teach the basics have them dribble in circles within 20x 20 zone keep each drill 10 minutes long practice no more than a hour (if you practice longer they start to lose their focus. give them water breaks after every drill (no walking on field run to get drinks then run back) MOST IMPORTANT KIDS THAT AGE REMEMBER THE LAST THING SO MAKE SURE ITS A FUN DRILL,sharks and minnows for ex. or scrimmage or a race with the ball or better yet parents vs kids. Remember they are only 7 and 8 yr olds so after mistakes its alway great job- great try -awesome work

Good luck and have fun!

Rick

HIGHLAND WOLFHOUNDS

• Ciscooh Rookie 1 posts since
    May 16, 2010
    4. Apr 19, 2007 6:57 AM (in response to coach4twins)

I agree with Dave; pursue some coaching education.  However I would suggest you begin with the youth module courses - U06, U08, U10, and then take the F license.  ANd do take the U06 because there are some components which you will find yourself using for many years.  You might also seek some guidance from other coaches in your league who have been participating for some time.

Also, while getting them the best coaching is a good idea, it is not always as good as matching them to the correct and proper type of coaching.

Good luck.  Have fun!

• Dave_D Rookie 3 posts since
    May 25, 2007
    5. Apr 19, 2007 6:53 PM (in response to rick__1301)

Christopher.  You are right.  It has been so long that I forgot.  I also did the old day variation of the youth modules you are talking about. 

They teach you how to handle the young players, how to keep their attention, what to watch for, and how to teach them to have fun.

• plykid1 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 6, 2010
    6. Jan 6, 2010 4:58 PM (in response to Dave_D)

If you are interested in coaching review seom coaching websites.  I am a amateur coach but found this website excellent:

http://www.professionalsoccercoaching.com

check it out.

Professional Soccer Coaching

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...