Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

18712 Views 61 Replies Latest reply: Sep 29, 2010 5:46 PM by Firechicklovespugs RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 Previous Next
  • SPI 64 Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 23, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Jul 26, 2010 6:38 AM (in response to graciels)
    Re: 200+ lbs and Starting C25K on July 18, 2010

I did my first run yesterday. I've chosen Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday as my running days.  I can't imagine moving to week 2 next week and can't help but wonder if I will haveto repeat week 1 before continuing on.  I used a podcast I dowloaded and loved it since I didn't have to think about when to switch from walking to running.

Good Luck to every one this week!!  Be Proud of yourselfs for starting!!!

• KG Aimee Amateur 21 posts since
    Aug 5, 2009
    46. Jul 26, 2010 6:40 AM (in response to Lisa68877)

Today's attempt at W4D1 was a big failure. I just wasn't feeling it today. I tried, but I quite after 19 minutes. The first 3 minute run was no problem. The 5 minute run was another story. I quit after 3:45. Then on the last 3 minute run I quit after 1:30. Something is better than nothing I guess. I'll try again tomorrow.

06/27/2010-1st start C25K

01/01/2012-Starting Weight: 305 lbs.
    03/12/2012-Current Weight: 268.6 lbs.

03/16/2012-Restart C25K

• cmetryagain Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 19, 2010
    47. Jul 26, 2010 8:52 AM (in response to SPI 64)

SPI 64: I finished w2d1 yesterday and I know that last week on w1d1 I barely made it through.  Day 2 was a little more bearable and day 3 a bit better still.  I felt like I barely made it through yesterday, but I'm hoping that days 2 and 3 will be a little easier again.  Hopefully this will be how it is with you, too.  Great job on getting started. 

Laurie               

• nchowning Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 16, 2010
    49. Jul 26, 2010 11:45 AM (in response to SPI 64)

SPI 64: Glad to have you aboard!  Starting is definitely the hardest part haha.  I know that C25K recommends waiting a day between runs (which leaves an extra day every week).  I would recommend, however, using that extra day for an "extra run".  I had originally decided to go with a Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday running schedule.  The first week went fine... but Week 2 Day 1 was absolutely awful.  I'm going to start doing each week's run 4 times per week (Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday).  That way I still have a day of rest before starting the new week's challenge but I haven't take two days of rest prior to starting a new week.  Might be something to consider!  Glad to see so many people joining in!

Edit: Lisa; Compression shorts are, indeed, spandex-like shorts.  They're really great for wicking sweat and reducing chaffing.    

Watch and follow my journey!  It begins, officially, on October 1st, 2010.  http://nathanloses.tumblr.com

Jul 23, 2010
    50. Jul 27, 2010 9:47 PM (in response to nchowning)

@nchowning:  I have already been thinking that I would like to run more than three days a week.  I've been pretty active with daily walking both outside and treadmill since February and it is time to kick it up a notch.  I count my steps every day and my goal is a minumum of 10,000.  I don't get nearly enough steps with the c25k program so will probably add a few more reps in my routine.

I put  off working out today and had no ambition at all.  It was so hot and humid today and I know I couldn't have made it outside.  I finally forced myself to jump on my treadmill and I actually had a blast working out to Nicole Blum's podcast, I love her music.

As someone mentioned (sorry can't keep track like some of you can) I was also embarrassed when I first started running outside in public.  But like my daughter told me I should be proud that I'm not sitting at home on the couch because I'm actually doing something to get in shape.   I figure that the more people see me the more proud I should be since I am turning my health around in such a positive manor.  I keep thinking how proud I'll feel a year from now and someone sees me running and says "wow - look at how great of shape she has gotten herself into".  I can make that happen!

Sue

• SeeFluffyRun Legend 251 posts since
    Sep 2, 2009
    51. Jul 27, 2010 10:02 PM (in response to KG Aimee)

KG    You did great!  You went further in C25K than you have ever gone before.  trying slowing down the pace for the 5 minute run.  The first time I did Week 5, my average pace was 19:34..I looked at my Nike plus history.  So when I mean slow, I mean SLOW...no really I mean it.  You are not in a race, you are in training.  Oh by the way, when you stopped running did you hear any sirens or did the ground open up and swallow you?  It didn't because all the negativity is coming from within.  A friend posted the other on her facebook page something that really rang true for me.  If you ask yourself, "What I am doing wrong?"  Satan will always answer.  If you ask yourself, "Whu are at am I doing right?"  Your heavenly Father will always answer.  What you did right was move forward and do W4D1 and gave it all you had.  Learn from it and move on.  I did W1 over and over again...so it is okay if you do W4D1 over again.

So what do you say, try again on Thursday?  I believe in you,  you can do this.

Ok so it is really late here and I should be asleep.  I did 3 miles today and it was hot.  I titled my blog post today, "It's a dirty job and I am a dirty girl."  The trail was so muddy.  I am signing up for the Houston Marathon Oil 1/2 mary. It is in January.  They are doing it lottery style so I won't know if I was accepted until August 17th.  Wish me luck.

Graduated C25K 08/09/2009

Restarted 04/01/2013

Follow me on my journey: SEEFLUFFYRUN

Twitter: @SeeFluffyRun

Facebook: SeeFluffyRun

Blog: seefluffyrun.blogspot.com

• MsMini Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    52. Jul 27, 2010 10:52 PM (in response to graciels)

Hi everyone!

I'm also doing the C25K program. I started but had to repeat one week after a car accident. I started at 200 pounds but I'm going down little by little. My run days are Monday, Wednesday and Friday and I completed a scary W4D1 workout on Monday - I was so thankful that the machine accidentally cut off during my first run so I can get a few extra breaths! I've come so far and so have all of you - I'm inspired reading through everyone's progress. Like some of you I'm also scared for the rest of the week but who could imagine I could even get this far.

I have to try the podcast, instead I'm listening to music, refusing to look at the screen each second and repeating to myself "Keep those legs moving, this won't kill you"

Keep those legs moving folks!!

• babysigningmomma Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010
    54. Jul 28, 2010 12:13 AM (in response to graciels)

I just started the C25K yesterday and I am excited. I have never liked to run or thought it was possible for a BIG girl. Well, now I am ready to break through my own stereo-type.

Congrats!

• cmetryagain Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 19, 2010
    55. Jul 28, 2010 4:07 AM (in response to graciels)

Gracie:  Thanks for sharing your collages, they look very motivating!  Obviously it's working or you wouldn't have jumped on the treadmill. Way to go!  I always dread doing the program, but when I'm through I'm always glad that I did it.

Have a great day everyone.

Laurie

• kelatdavis Rookie 5 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007

I love coming on here and seeing all the new people that are starting.

babysigningmom....does your name mean that you do baby signs.  We did it with our daughter and it was so much fun.  Congrats on bustin through the stereo-types.  Sometimes I think we are our own worst enemy.

As for Me....I just completed W4D1.  I can't believe that I did it.  I am so proud of myself.  My husband is going out of town for a week so I won't be able to the program since he is taking the itouch that has the c25k app on it.  So I am borrowing my friends Pilates for Dummies video to try that while he is gone.  Any other suggestions on what I can do while he is gone.

Jul 23, 2010
    57. Jul 28, 2010 6:26 AM (in response to graciels)

graciels Thank you for sharing your collage!  What a great idea and it must be a fun motivator for yourself.  I think I'll start a file with photos and who knows - maybe I'll make myself one someday.

Have a great day everyone!

• cuppycakegirl Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 21, 2010
    58. Jul 29, 2010 6:53 PM (in response to graciels)

I did W2D2 today and really had to push through. I realized about halfway through that I hadn't drank any water all day!!!! I felt like an idiot. What a huge mistake but I'm pretty sure I learned my lesson. I made it through the whole thing though. I've started running down the busiest street in my neighborhood. I've found that when I know people can see me that I push myself a lot harder. And it has been an opportunity for me to work on my self-esteem. Haha! I mean, who cares what other people are thinking about me? I'm running! I'm going something positive for my health!

Feeling pretty good about this week. Slightly nervous about the weeks ahead. Trying to focus on one day at a time. I've not had to stop running at any point so far...so I'm going to just keep going for it! Hope everyone else is having success this week!

• Charles McKenna Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 23, 2010
    59. Jul 29, 2010 7:02 PM (in response to graciels)

Today was great!! My shins are starting to hurt about 3/4 of the way through my workout but I am able to finish so that makes me really happy. Sometimes when I get frustrated from getting tired or having a bad day I just remind myself that no one was born running a marathon. Everyone has to work up to it, and along the way there are struggles and setbacks. Congrats to everyone on their completions of their workouts!!! KEEP IT UP!!!

What does everyone listen to while they run?? I need some new music!!!

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...