Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

3791 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2010 12:08 PM by OxiSeven RSS
ProEndurance Rookie 2 posts since
Jun 25, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jun 25, 2010 1:35 PM

Does taking taurine, glutamine, creatine or complex B vitamins help with there recovery after running?

Hey Guys,

Just thought I would see what everyone's opinions and ideas where about using a product that combines taurine, glutamine, creatine in a cap/tablet form before and after running to help with the bodies natural recovery time and increase energy levels and endurance?  I know that complex B vitamins are very good for boosting energy and stabilizing moods together with increased Nero function as I have been using them to help with stress and engery problems I face with work. 

I have heard of an endurance recovery matrix product that is coming out that combines taurine, glutamine, creatine together with the complex B vitamins to improve the bodies recovery and mussel stress after training while boosting your energy levels and helping with endurance throughout training. I am guessing that as its combined with the complex B vitamins it would also keep the person taking the product more focused, less stressed and also help with anxiety while training/running.

I have used taurine, glutamine, creatine all separately years ago when I was into weight training, and found that they worked amazingly to help with muscle stress and recovery.  I found that the taurine did increase my workout intensity and did help with endurance.

Just thought I would throw this one out for peoples opinions and views.  would love to hear what other peoples feed back is on the matter.

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009

I personally do not use any of these products, here's why:  You are correct that these things elevate mood and energy, but they actually do very little for the physical recovery process.  They make you feel better, but the don't make you better.

From personal experience, I've found that suppliments like these can dehydrate you pretty quick...never good.  Imagine drinking something like a "Monster" energy drink after a run...do you really think it is good for you?

Good luck and I hope whatever you decide to do, works well for you!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• runningeek Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 26, 2010

For your recovery your first priority should be water.  Next focus on taking lots of quickly digestable carbs and some protein. These are the macronutrients that will help your body recover.  Everything else that you mention, minus the B-vitamins are going to do you more harm than good.  Creatine is for muscle heads and will dehydrate you (horrible for endurance recovery).  Taurine, isn't that would redbull promotes, stay away.  Glutamine, not a study published yet that supports glutamine should be taken on its own for recovery.  B-vitamins although important (I would advise focusing on supplying optimal supply of all micro-nutrients and not just picking and choosing), will not significantly aid in your recovery.  If your looking for a recovery supplement look into trying Mike's Mix: www.mikesmixrecoverydrink.com.  I use Mike's Mix and it is very effective yet simple and affordable.  Don't waste your money on fancy additives, stick to the basics and get results.

• runningeek Rookie 3 posts since
    Jun 26, 2010

I don't believe that you are going to find one product that can answer all your concerns.  What is best for you after a workout (high-glycemic carbs) is not ideal before a workout (you want to avoid an insulin spike except for that time immediately after a workout).  Vitamins and minerals can be a very controversial and complicated subject.  It is my belief that athletes have special requirements over the average population and supplementing is an option to accomplish this.  A fine book was written by Dr. Michael Colgan: Your Personal Vitamin Profile, or some such thing, that was written in the 80's.  He was/is the authority on sports nutrition and this book is very enlightening.

One thing I have gleaned from reading this and other research on vitamins and minerals is that there is no way to get what you need from one meal replacement product or recovery drink.  For one, some of the vitamins and minerals they add to these mixtures aren't even biologically available in a powder form (eg Vitamin E).  I would suggest that an athlete handle his or her vitamin mineral needs separately, most of what is added to supplements is simply window dressing.  I personally eat a varied diet with lots of whole food, vegetables and fruits (many of which come from my garden).  I also supplement 2 grams of vitamin C a day, vitamin E, a B-complex, calcium, and chromium-pictolonate (I might have spelled that wrong).

I personally like Mike's Mix over the other recovery supplements because of its simplicity (and price).  There is no window dressing additives, colors, or artificial flavors, and I personally don't think you need them.  I dillute Mike's Mix for my carb/protein source on runs longer than an hour (7 to 10% solution) and use it again for a recovery drink.

Before a workout I try to eat some low glycemic carbs, oatmeal and whole wheat pancakes are my favorite.  Does the trick for at least and hour.

Nutrition like training is a long learning process, many years into this I feel I have only scratched the surface of what there is to know. 

• OxiSeven Rookie 3 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010

The previous posts are actually pretty accurate with regards to creatine and taurine.  They are not the best supplements for endurance athletes.  Creatine will aid recovery for strength/power athletes, but will dehydrate an endurance athlete, and there isn't any real research that shows taurine to have any long term positive effects on anything.

B-vitamins are very good for aiding in recovery, will help with maintaining energy levels, and are a good thing for anyone to include in their diet.

One thing that is important for endurance athletes to get enough of is antioxidents.  Endurance activity will release free radicals into the system, and there has been a lot of promising research showing that increasing antioxidants in one's diet will help him/her to recover... It is also just a healthy thing to do.

If you want some research info regarding antioxidents see the attached research packet

Attachments:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...