Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

7798 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2010 5:34 PM by grid-rider RSS Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • CDaveBrown Rookie 5 posts since
    Nov 27, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Jul 28, 2010 8:37 AM (in response to honguito)
    Re: running socks recommendation

I've tried many, but my new favorites are the ASICS Kayanos.  They are foot specific (left and right) and fit so much better than regular socks.  The have padding and support in all the right places.  They are more expensive - but worth it.

• MELISSANIC Rookie 1 posts since
    Jan 27, 2009
    16. Jul 28, 2010 11:40 AM (in response to honguito)

I've seriously tried EVERY running sock out there. It's Feetures that beats them all! I've turned all my running friends into Feetures lovers. They are cushioned but supportive, they feel and fit perfect. As long as you don't put them in the dryer after washing then they'll last forever. You can buy them in a 3 pack at Road Runner Sports.

• Johnny Webb Amateur 26 posts since
    Feb 3, 2009
    17. Jul 28, 2010 1:45 PM (in response to MELISSANIC)

I've also tried several different kinds of socks. Most are too thick for me as they tend to bunch up under my toes as my feet get wet on long runs. What seems to work the best for me are Feetures. They are thin but still wick some of the dampness away. Someone suggest wearing two pair. I think I'll try that.

PR - 5K = 27:45

PR - 4M = 38:50

PR - 10K = 58:30

PR - Half Marathon = 2:01:05

PR - Marathon = 5:22:32

• Melmb Amateur 12 posts since
    Oct 2, 2009
    18. Jul 28, 2010 1:54 PM (in response to honguito)

Post run, the SIGVARIS Athletic Recovery Socks! www.AthleticRecoverySock.com

• Tschnides Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 19, 2009
    19. Jul 31, 2010 9:35 AM (in response to honguito)

I am a smartwool girl all the way!  you can get them cheap at LL Bean outlet and they take forever to wear out.  I only run half marathons, but have never had a blister in smartwool.

• jimday1982 Amateur 23 posts since
    Aug 2, 2010
    20. Aug 4, 2010 10:54 AM (in response to honguito)

Another vote for Thorlo Experias here. Their combination of ventilation, protection / cushioning, and light weight can't be beat in my opinion.

If you're interested, I wrote an in-depth review of them (including plenty of pictures) which you can read here: http://www.runjimmyrun.com/2010/08/02/review-thorlo-experia-socks/

-Jimmy

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    21. Aug 4, 2010 9:56 PM (in response to honguito)

After reading all this I hit the shop and bought a pair of Thorlos Experias.  Im gonna keep them clean until Sunday for my long run, 16 miles.  Cant wait to try them.  Last weekend I ran in some cheaper socks and ended with some nasty blisters on the tips of my toes.  Hopefully these work out better.  For 14 bucks a pair I hope so .   Seem very well made,  and made in the USA.  I didnt know anything was made in the USA anymore.  That was a pleasant surprise.

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    22. Aug 5, 2010 1:34 AM (in response to Beer and Cupcakes)

Good luck with the Thorlos, Jim. Please report back with your experiences -- I'm sure many people would benefit from reading more.

As far as the toe blisters go, you might also want to pay attention to see if you're clenching your toes as you run. I've developed some nasty blisters at the end of a couple of toes for exactly that reason. The clenching action causes the toes to rub against the insole, leading to blisters even with good socks. I've been working hard to relax my calves, ankles, and feet to eliminate the toe-clench. It's surprisingly difficult!

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

Nov 19, 2009
    23. Aug 5, 2010 5:44 AM (in response to dwm082)

Thanks for the tip Don Ill pay attention to what Im doing with my toes next run.    In general Ive been focusing my runs on running more efficiently, trying to glide over the ground with as little energy as possible.  Its funny when you start paying attention to that there's all sorts of parts that are tight and can be loosened up.

Ill report back on Sunday on how the Thorlos did on the 16 miler.

Cheers.

Nov 19, 2009
    24. Aug 8, 2010 9:45 AM (in response to honguito)

OK reporting back with my experience today with my new Thorlo Experia socks on my 16 mile run this morning.    Definitly better than whatever I wore last week,  no blisters on the tips of my toes this time.  Yaaaaa.    Altho on this long run the socks still got swamped.  Today was a rough run all the way around,  wore out before I started from a hard and fast 6 mile run and 16 mile bikeride and crash over the handlbars last 2 days.   So my whole body was aching,  but the feet were fine.      I like the way they're selectively padded, very nice.  Overall, very well made, made in USA,  no toe seam,  nicely padded in the right places and vented elsewhere.     If they hold up to several outings then Id say theyre worth the 14 bucks.

• dwm082 Community Moderator 1,063 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    25. Aug 10, 2010 1:32 AM (in response to Beer and Cupcakes)

Thanks for the report on the Thorlos, Jim. I've got a pair of Feetures (light cushion original low-cut) on order to try out since there were so many rave reviews. I'll post back after I wear them on Sunday's (planned) 20 miler.

Don

2012 Race Schedule

Providence Marathon (4:48:55)

Buffalo Half-Marathon (2:03:16)

Chicago Marathon (October 7)

• Vera Lee Amateur 33 posts since
    Jan 14, 2008
    26. Aug 10, 2010 5:33 AM (in response to dwm082)

Another vote for Balega, my husband and I have been wearing them for 6 yrs, we do half marathons and I am now doing the c25k plan.  No seams, no blisters, they hold up well, I have paid around $10 a pair, and I love them.  I think they are mid range in thickness, not too thin, not too thick...

• squeakygirl Legend 557 posts since
    Apr 6, 2010
    27. Aug 16, 2010 4:59 PM (in response to honguito)

I have a recommendation for those of us that can't afford $10 a pair socks.  I bought a 3-pack of socks at Target, made by Gold Toe.  They have dry-max, they have the little tab in the back so they don't slide down and give you blisters on the back of your heels, and they have arch support (which I need, being very flat footed). I think it was $6.99 for 3 pairs and I love them! No blisters, no stinky feet, nothing... I wash and dry them and they're staying in great condition!

Couch-to-5k Graduate: July 28, 2010

Complete:

NK5K - My First 5k as a Runner: 9/11/2010: 34:57

CVS Downtown 5k: 9/19/10 31:31

Oceans Run 5k: 9/26/10 31:40

Newport Federal Pie Run:  11/25/10 (5 miles) 49:04

Downtown Jingle Bell 5k: 12/5/10 27:37 (A new PR - Woohoo!!!!)

Upcoming:

Charleston Half Marathon (My 1st): http://lowcountrymarathon.com/ 1/15/11

Shape Up RI Half Marathon: http://www.coxrhoderaces.com/ 5/1/2011

"Well behaved women seldom make history."

• grid-rider Legend 235 posts since
    Sep 5, 2009
    28. Aug 16, 2010 5:34 PM (in response to squeakygirl)

squeakygirl your right about the cost....but I love the Balega's and treat them as I do new shoes. Just bought a second pair today...squeakyguy

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...