Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

1486 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2010 10:11 AM by JasonFitz1 RSS
spcraig Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 28, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 28, 2010 7:20 PM

Toe/Foot numbness? :(

This is my fifth week of running. Occasionally, I have felt a little numbness in my middle toe and the toe to the right of the middle on my right foot. On W5D2 during the 3rd 5min run, it got decidely worse. When we were done running we hand to walk a mile back to the car. The numbness spread until it affected my whole foot! We stopped, I took of my shoe ad sock and moved my foot all around until the feeling came back. Once it did, I was fine. Anybody know what the deal is? I def need new shoes and was planning on rewarding myself with a pair after I complete the 20min run on day 3. Will new shoes help? Do I need to see a doctor? I am curous to see if it happens tomorrow on day 2. If it does, I would be afraid to try the 20 min run... at least not in the old shoes! foot

• jnsbarber Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    1. Jul 28, 2010 7:23 PM (in response to spcraig)
    Re: Toe/Foot numbness? :(

Hello there... I am a new runner so I don't have a ton of experience but my first guess would be that your shoes are too tight. How tight are your shoe laces? Have you tried loosening them?

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009
    2. Jul 28, 2010 8:16 PM (in response to spcraig)

The first things that came to mind while reading your post was that either your shoes are too tight or you're not getting enough support/cushion from your shoes.

Your shoes could be laced too tight, or not fitted properly so they constrict your feet and in turn, cut off circulation.  Try to tie your shoes so that your toes can move upward when you point them up and make sure that the top of the shoes (area closest to your ankle and the tongue of the shoe) has a bit of wiggle room.

Your shoes, being that they are old, may not be giving you all of the support or cushion your feet need.  The only solution to this is to get new shoes ASAP.  Shoes are the most important piece of equipment every runner uses, so you need to make sure that you are getting exactly what you need out of your shoes, skimping here could cause injury.  You should go to a good running store (NOT a general sporting goods store) and be properly fitted.  The staff at a reputable running store will be able to put you into shoes that give you exactly what your feet require.  You don't have to spend a fortune, but you don't want to buy a shoe just because it is the cheapest either. 

Good luck and I hope that you feel better soon!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• JasonFitz1 Legend 572 posts since
    Jun 19, 2009
    3. Jul 29, 2010 10:11 AM (in response to spcraig)

You should also try correcting your form. As a new runner, you probably haven't perfected the most efficient form and you could be heel-striking. My advice for the best form is here: http://bit.ly/bxHdP0. It's helped me avoid any injuries in the last year and a half!  I hope it helps.

- Fitz.

Strength Running

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points