Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

901 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Jul 29, 2010 11:25 AM by runningman400 RSS
katiedianne Rookie 2 posts since
Jul 29, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 29, 2010 10:00 AM

Soccer Cleats or Old B-ball shoes for the first week?

Hello all,

Tonight is W1D1 of the C25K program for me   I plan on signing up for a local 5k race in early October, but due to my location (Southwestern Ontario, CAN) There are no races throughout the rest of the winter until Feb... But that's besides the point.

I don't have good running shoes at the moment, but do plan on purchasing some within a week or two (I'm in highschool, saving for University is my first goal... Plus nearest running store is an hour drive) But this evening I was planning on running at the soccer fields, it's probably my safest area to run in the area (I'm out in the boonies, no trail unless I drove for 15 min first)  And I was wondering if using soccer cleats (that fit me well, but no cushioning) would be a bad idea.  The ground is quite forgiving due to a rainy spell lately.  The second option is a pair of basketball shoes.  They're in relatively good condition, but not much cushion either, and the backs are kind of a mess so I got blisters on the back of my feet last time I wore them.

So, Soccer Cleats or Old Basketball shoes (and wear bandaids C: )?

Thanks in advance for your help!

-Katie

• runningman400 Legend 191 posts since
    Aug 26, 2009

The answer is NEITHER.  I'd wait to start until I had the right shoes for the job (especially if the race isn't until October).

Shoes are by far the single most important piece of equipment that a runner has, so you need to make sure you have exactly what your feet need.  Soccer cleats and basketball shoes don't even come close in offering what running shoes do.  Even though you live in the boonies, it is worth the car ride to get to a good running store (not a general sporting goods store) and get yourself properly fitted.  Once you've been fitted well the first time, you'll know what kind of shoes you need and you'll be able to purchase the right shows on your own.

At a good, reputable running store the staff is usually knowledgeable enough to be able to tell you how you stride, where you strike, etc.  and in turn will be able to get you into the right shoe for you.  Since you are so new to running you should listen to what they tell you about the following:

How do you stride

Where do your feet strike

Do you overpronate, supernate or are you neutral

How are your arches (high, low, normal)

Once you know the answer to these questions, you'll be put into a pair of shoes that works with your feet the best and you'll know what kind of shoes that you should buy in the future.  Remember also that you don't have to buy the most expensive shoes out there but you shouldn't get the cheapest because they are the cheapest either (I totally understand the whole "money being tight" thing).

Welcome to running, good luck, stick with it and I hope this helped!

"WITHOUT STRUGGLE, THERE WOULD BE NO PROGRESS" - Frederick  Douglass

"TOUGH TIMES NEVER LAST, TOUGH PEOPLE DO!"

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009

If you are going to be on the grass -- go with the cleats.

And get your running shoes ASAP

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points