Skip navigation

783 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Jul 29, 2010 6:16 PM by stephen corsiglia RSS
SaraJWillis Rookie 1 posts since
Jul 12, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Jul 12, 2010 2:52 PM

Already Active First-Time Half-Marathoners

Hi,

I am planning to sign up for a half marathon soon, and it'll be my first.  However, I have been very active for the last 5 years of my life, working out 1-2 hours/day every day.  I'm wondering what my training program should look like, given that most of the "beginner" programs would mean that I'll be less active overall than I usually am.  Can I just stick to the runs as most people recommend for beginners (for example, 3 miles on Monday, 2 miles on Tuesday, stretch and strengthen on Wednesday, etc.), but then supplement the rest of the time with other cardio activities, like the eliptical or the bike, so that I'm still keeping up with the same amount of physical activity?

Any professional suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

• stephen corsiglia Rookie 2 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Jul 29, 2010 6:16 PM (in response to SaraJWillis)
    Re: Already Active First-Time Half-Marathoners

Hi Sara,

I too am getting ready for my first Half Marathon.  However, after being sedentary for 6 months I started with a beginners program.  I started five weeks ago with "Half Marathon Training : Novice" by Hal Higdon.  My friend used this to train for the DC half marathon and ran a sub 2hr.  I'm shooting for 2:30:00 myself, anything lower will simply make my day.  Anyway, you should check it out.  Also, Nike.com has some good training programs.  If you can step out the door and run 4 miles without a problem, you should check out Nike's programs.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...