Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

70946 Views 438 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2010 7:24 PM by countrymomma Go to original post 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Previous Next
  • 31flavors Amateur 27 posts since
    Jul 29, 2010

I bought the app for the C25K and got it all set up for tomorrow.  I'm ready to go.

Susan G Komen 09/26/10 - 33:22

• SoNotARunner Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010

Ok, I'm going to do this. I've been walking for a couple of months and I've never been a runner. My husband wants me to set a huge goal and try to do a 1/2 marathon in Feb. but I think he is insane. This is a much more attainable goal I can do this!!!

• Pearlrox Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010

Yes, I would am also planning on beginning 8-1-10.  I used to run up to 3-5 miles a few years ago, but lost momentum and need to get off the couch and back in shape.  I'm looking forward to the challenge.

• punkinette Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 7, 2009

I am really excited about starting tomorrow!  Go motivators!!

Becky

• edensacres Pro 197 posts since
    Jun 19, 2010

W1D1 is in the books!    Ok, so i was a day early, but close enough to continue with this group.  Right?  Having done W1D1 a few weeks ago, I knew what I was in store for.  And it definately wasn't as hard as the first time.  My concern was my knee, which seemed to do fine. I'm going to ice it before I go to bed and hope it doesn't act up.

As for you folks heading out tomorrow, a few suggestions if you struggle a little 1) you're supposed to, 2) It doesn't matter how fast you run, just keep lifting your feet off the ground.  3) the next 60 second run, start a little slower.  The hardest thing for me to learn the first time around was pacing and breathing.  4) don't forget to breath and 5) have fun.

Good Luck!

Stephanie

Started C25K 3/29/11 for the third time - Graduated 7/1/11 - some of us take longer

Completed Races

Webster Co. Woodchopping Festival 5K (5/28/11) 38:03 "Holy crap! Did he just say 38 something? I was hopinig for 45 minutes"

Never underestimate yourself!

That Dam Race 5K 7/23/11 44:46 - a challenging route & a hot day- but I will do better next year!

"Run for the Ta-Ta's 5K 10/29/11 39:54 in the snow!

Woodchoppers 5K 5/26/12 36:08 My 5 year old was 5 minutes behind me. Way to go Liat!

Fly By 10k 6/16/12 1:24:12

And the dream race...

"Flying Pig Half Marathon" Cincinnati, OH (May 2013)

• Kimmys31 Amateur 19 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010

I'm in!  By starting now, I should be running a 5k by my 45th birthday!  Can't think of a better gift!! 

• RedHotMama99 Rookie 1 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010

Alright, I am in.  This isn't going to be easy but I'll go for it.  I've always said "I am not a long distance runner"...time to throw those words out the door!

Good luck everyone!

• HatGirl249 Rookie 2 posts since
    Jul 29, 2010

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!  So glad to have found this group for support and can't wait to hear about everyone's first day! 

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008

Wow, just...WOW! I'm from the group that started on or about July 12th & I have to say, I'm in AWE at the number of people starting C25K this week. You guys are gonna rock it - you have so many members & there's clearly lots of support for each other all ready. It does help to have a feeling of 'accountability' even if it's only to an online and/or Facebook group. For some, that support isn't there in real life. Family & friends may not take us seriously - not at first. Here, that's not gonna be a problem.

Some started today, some will start tomorrow, some Monday or even Tuesday. It's still all the same week. Over time, some will end up a bit behind due to unexpected injuries, (hopefully minor), life getting in the way or just... stuff. Don't worry about it - just keep doing it when you can. For some 60 seconds of running doesn't sound like much, for others it's forever. If you can't do 60, do 45 or 30... it's about progress & we're all different, for some it comes faster, others more slowly. There's no pressure.

Don't let the lack of an iPod or anything 'techie' keep you out of this. I run with an old dial watch & hum tunes in my head - no iPod. It works just fine for me. As long as you have running shoes & access to a treadmill or the outdoors, you can do this. Running gets to fun after a while... or so I'm told...LOL. I won't lie, it's work BUT it doesn't have to be torture. Keeping it really slowly, even just barely faster than a walk counts too & if it keeps you moving as long as the intervals call for - you win!

I start W4 tomorrow, D1 & yes, I'm nervous about 5 minute runs. But if I can come this far, I can do this. You can all do W1D1. I'll be thinking of you all tomorrow. Good luck and...

happy running.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• CINDYLewho Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010

Well I would love to join you, however I started tonight..W1D1 is now in the history books for me! YAY Im only 5'6 almost 260 and I did w1d1 tonight..my first time ever jogging!  If I can do it, YOU CAN DO IT! !!!!  I only have nike walking shoes (For now until i can afford running shoes) but they worked fine, straps the girls in and gave them a ride of thier life!!  There is soo many motivating stories on here.  I hope that me making it through my first day today will be an inspiration to someone else... Good luck to everyone!  You can do it!

• MrsSweetPea Amateur 11 posts since
    Jul 29, 2010

Shinsplints!?!! How do you deal with the pain? *HELP?!*

• ckrich Amateur 23 posts since
    Feb 11, 2010

Count me in! I made through w3 in Feb but never finished. Did a trial run Fri night and made it through. Determined to run 5K Oct 2 and not walk any! So need this thread and motivation from all. I am stealing the quote from someone but it is the way I truly feel, "Today is the first day of the rest of my life"!!! So, let life begin. HAPPY RUNNING!

• Tdcat Amateur 15 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010

Hi everyone!   I just fininshed w1d1 and it went well.  Have to see how I feel tomorrow:)

• punkinette Amateur 24 posts since
    Jan 7, 2009

**Shinsplints!?!! How do you deal with the pain? *HELP?!**

I strongly recommend you get really good running shoes.  Find a specialty store that will measure your stride, tell you how you run and where you need help.  They will find shoes that target your problem area (ex. I tend to run on the outside of my feet and roll inward.  There's a shoe that helps me hit more evenly).  I also suggest a really good calf stretch before running.  I stand and put the toe of my foot on the wall and my heel on the floor and lean forward until I feel my calf stretch.  I, too, deal with shin splints.  Luckily, I have a cousin who is a physical therapist and is always ready with advice.  If your shins hurt so bad that you can't run, then don't run.  He recommended biking or swimming to keep up endurance and to only run again when the pain is gone.  Ice your shins, heating pads on your calves to loosen them up, and ibuprofen.  As your legs get stronger your shinsplints should go away.  Good luck! <3

--Becky

1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... 30 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points