Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

2082451 Views 11,392 Replies Latest reply: Jul 28, 2014 12:34 AM by Ferrylights RSS Go to original post 1 ... 114 115 116 117 118 ... 760 Previous Next
  • JayDubb76 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jan 19, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1,725. Aug 4, 2010 9:08 AM (in response to WIguy)
    Re: 200+ Pound Club!

Hey All!

I am 33, 5'7" and right around 200 lbs.  My goal is less about weight loss and more about body fat.  I am about 30% right now and would like to get down to about 12-15%.  I also want to be able to run a 5k in under 19 minutes, but I know I have a loooong way to go.  I have always loved running, but never did it consistently.  Either I would push myself too hard and get injured, or things would get busy and I would stop doing it.  That is why the C25K program is so great!  The workouts are only 20-30 minutes 3 days per week, and they are gradual enough that I finish them feeling great instead of worn out.  I actually have so much energy lately that I have to force myself to take days off in between my runs.

I did barefoot running in high school when I was doing competitive Tae Kwon Do, and the coach made us run barefoot to toughen up the bottoms of our feet.  Aside from the gross calluses on my feet that I can't get rid of, I think barefoot running is a good idea, I'm just paranoid about stepping on glass or something.  I'll probably give it another try one of these days at the track.

Making my second attempt at C25K.  Tried back in April and had to drop out after 2 weeks because of an ankle injury.  I just started week 5 yesterday, and I felt so juiced when I got home from my run, that I went and did something crazy.  I registered for the Marine Corps 10k on October 31.  My plan is to finish C25K, and then go back and do weeks 3-9 again doubling all of the times/distances so that by October 23 I will be up to 6 miles.  If anybody has any tips or advice I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

James

Jan 19, 2010
    1,726. Aug 4, 2010 9:11 AM (in response to WIguy)

@WIguy  Congratulations on your acheivement!  I hope to be there soon.

• vaultingdoc Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 3, 2008
    1,727. Aug 4, 2010 9:21 AM (in response to JayDubb76)

I saw your comments about barefoot running and have a suggestion.  Try looking into Newton running shoes.  They protect the feet while promoting fore foot strikes.  I have been using them for almost a year and will never go back.  There have been many articles about barefoot running that say these are very good and better than the Vibrams because of the better protection.

Jan 19, 2010
    1,728. Aug 4, 2010 9:27 AM (in response to vaultingdoc)

@vaultingdoc  Thanks!  I'll check them out.

• Babsalotta Amateur 32 posts since
    Jun 28, 2010
    1,730. Aug 4, 2010 10:13 AM (in response to revgum)

Revgum:  Tonight I'll do W8D2.  I've taken every step of this C25K trip in Vibram Five Finger KSOs. My feet still sometimes go to sleep while I run but they "come to" quicker, sometimes even before I finish the training session.  I feel that the softer landing of midsole strides has made recovery between C25K training sessions a whole lot easier for this big girl.  I don't feel like I've been in total body jarring accident after each workout.

And, ladies, here's an added benefit that I'm contributing to the Vibrams--I feel that I can wear (high) heels more successfully.  I was often a wobbly mess in heels, but now I feel more sure footed when I pump up the altitude in some kicking heels.  I think Vibrams have really strengthened the structure of my feet and ankles.  I don't know if the company makes that claim, but that's what I'm attributing my ability to walk in heels without my ankles giving or my feet screaming.

I recommend Vibrams wholeheartedly.

As an aside, I just love this thread.  Yall have taught me so much, inspired me so much, made me feel like I'm not alone in this.  If I was a  hugger...

C25k (the first time around), May 2010 to graduation in August 2010

C25k (the second time around), June 6, 2011

• gmadenise Legend 202 posts since
    Mar 26, 2010
    1,732. Aug 4, 2010 10:24 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Hi guys and gals! First off, a warm welcome to those just joining the  group; this is an awesome bunch of people who will encourage AND nag  you if needed to get out and do it. Whether you're just starting C25K or  some other running program or are an experienced runner, you'll find  motivation and support here--I know I do! I'm not even going to try and comment on all the posts, there are just too many, but there are a couple I can't pass on.

@AFMR  - going back to to your post yesterday about getting started, AWESOME  post. It really should be required reading! Keep that info around and  re-post it periodically when someone new wants to know where to begin. I  had to read it to my hubby off my phone while we were in the car, it  was so good.

@Wideguy - you of all people should know  better than to go off running without some fuel in the tank! I know how  it is, though; feeling good and want to get out there, it just doesn't  occur to you sometimes. Glad you were able to recover so quickly and  hopefully learned a lesson.

I  did a 31 minute run yesterday on the treadmill, 2.25 miles. It is  definitely getting easier and easier to keep going that long once I hit  my stride, and the speed is gradually improving; I think the time was  13'49", slow for some but considering where I started, I'm pretty happy  with it. I may run again today if I can convince hubby to do it on the  trail with me; it's hard to map out a long enough run in our  neighborhood now that it's over 2 miles! I'm signing up for another race  at the end of September, the only question is whether to do the 5K or  dare go for the 10K by then. I'm going to move into the One Hour Runner  program next to extend the times and distances.

I'm looking forward to trying out my new Nike Free Run shoes when they come on Friday. I'm not quite ready to get the Vibram Five Fingers and definitely not going to try running barefoot on my neighborhood roads (way too many pinecones, branches, and rocks on our streets and no sidewalks), but I'm anxious to see if they help my stride and how my feet respond to the light support. Might have to get some of those huaraches if the Nike Free Runs work out well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nike+: deniseg3 / dailymile / runkeeper / http://fitfocusedblessed.com

January 2010: 252 lbs.

Started C25K March 2010 @ 235 lbs.

First half marathon June 2011 @ 170 lbs.

First Ragnar Relay July 2012 @ 145 lbs.

• cmetryagain Amateur 20 posts since
    Jul 19, 2010
    1,733. Aug 4, 2010 11:26 AM (in response to revgum)

@revgum:  I tried the totally barefoot method to feel the correct stride and I think I understand the feel of it better.  No way I can go barefoot though, 6 weeks ago the podiatrist removed a benign tumor from the ball of my foot the size of a small walnut (his analogy not mine.)  It feels good now until I take a few strides barefoot (shocking, right?)

I tried to totally concentrate on landing softly and on the mid/forefoot for my run segments today.  One big bonus was that I was concentrating so hard that a couple of the 2 min runs seemed way shorter than last time.  6 1/2 hours later and my knee is hanging in there!  A big thank you rev and you too, wideguy.

Reading about everybody's trials and successes has been so inspirational, I feel 100% better about my chances of succeeding.  Thanks for taking the time to post and encourage everybody.

Lahale, you are on the right path and in the right place.  Hope day 3 goes great for you!

Laurie

• Jasmine1972 Legend 927 posts since
    Sep 24, 2009
    1,734. Aug 4, 2010 11:45 AM (in response to cmetryagain)

As much as I usually like running outdoors, I am SO glad that the A/C is working again at the gym.  With the heat & humidity up so high here in the southeast, if you don't go out for a run early, then it is almost too dangerous to go out later in the day.  And even early - it is still not cool.  Did a 5:30AM run today at my 5K course for the race next week, and it was 78deg /95%H.  Yek! It is forecast to stay hot from now till race day.

The race starts at 8AM, so it will be in the low 80's. This is the same course that I did one year ago (when I was starting C25K & was 55# heavier) and then it took me 62.7 mins to complete.  It's not flat, w several inclines and one hill, so with this heat, I'm not going to break my 5K PR from a flatter course.  But today I did it in 42.7 mins, and I don't think I'll be much faster next weekend. But still 31% improvement.

Anyway, my whole point is that even though treadmill (or indoor track) workouts can be long and boring, it does provide you the flexibility of doing your workout at any time during the day, instead of just early AM or late PM when it MIGHT be cooler.  And you can use it for very controlled speed interval (or hill) workouts.  And if you are smart & have time, get in some strength training while you are there.

Still, I can't wait for cooler days.  Maybe in Sept., 'eh?

Jo Ann C

Started Walking 7/15/09 Weight = 265#; C25K Grad 11/6/09

8/30/09 5K (62:42) 262# 10/2/10 5K (37:44) 206# 3/26/11 5K (36:42) PR 202#

6/19/10 10K (83:47) 208# 3/6/11 UAH 10K (79:18) 200#

6/27/10 IronGirl, Atlanta Tri S 1/3m/B 18m/R 3m (2:42:10) 207#; 5/15/11 - (2:34:08 200)#

9/25/10 Women's HM, Nashville (3:27:10) 209#, 11/13/10 Huntsville HM (3:17:27) 203#

2/13/11 Mercedes HM, B'ham (3:02:02) 203#; 3/19/11 Rocket 10mi (2:13:37) PR

4/30/11 RnR HM Nashville (3:10:12); 5/15/11 5/30/11 Cotton Row 10K (84:36) ;

6/11/11 Mt. Mania 15K (2:17:12); 7/16/11 Wet Dog Tri (98:56);

8/13/11 Mtn Lakes Tri; (2:13:32); 8/28 Rocketman Oly Tri; 9/10 Frantic Frog Tri (1:52:35)

9/24/11 Womens HM (2:54:28) 195# PR; 10/1 Toray 5K (35:35 PR);

10/15/11 Liz Hurley 5K (36:24); 10/22 Book-it 10K (74:51 PR) 197#;
    11/12/11 Huntsville HM - Target 2:50

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    1,735. Aug 4, 2010 11:58 AM (in response to Wideguy)

Wideguy,

If you read a bit more of the text on the site, they specifically note that the heel area looks built up, but it is designed to provide only cushioning and rebound for the the heel drop that occurs after a mid-fore foot landing.  They note that their shoes should not be used by anyone who is still heel-striking, as they heels are not made for that kind of imapct.  They also list some tips for making the transition to barefoot-style running.  While they look like typical shoes, closer examination and testing may be required to see how well they stack up--not something practical at $175 per pair, however.

Also, their "structured" shoes are intended for those who over pronate.  They seem geared toward keeping the arch from collapsing, effectively forcing the foot to a more correct neutral strike.

Like any running shoe, however, I wouldn't make the leap without a chance to test out a pair on a treadmill, track or trail (or without a reasonable return policy).

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• AFatManRunning Legend 326 posts since
    Sep 14, 2009
    1,736. Aug 4, 2010 12:02 PM (in response to gmadenise)

gmadenise wrote:

@AFMR  - going back to to your post yesterday about getting started, AWESOME  post. It really should be required reading! Keep that info around and  re-post it periodically when someone new wants to know where to begin. I  had to read it to my hubby off my phone while we were in the car, it  was so good.

Thanks for the kind words (from you and all the others who liked my post).  Perhaps I need to add a line or two at the end next time:

"If you found this information helpful, PayPal $1 USD to..."

lol

! ! ! ! !

It was my wife's idea--really! Okay, it helps that I need to lose the weight, too.

http://oursecretplan.blogspot.com (FatManRunning - Couch to 5k)

Completed Couch-to-5k - 10/30/09

Chaska Turkey Trot 5k - 11/14/09 (42:13)

Howard Lake Turkey Tagalong 5k - 11/26/09 (42:23)

Sat around like a bum while I finished grad school - 11/27/09 to 6/25/10

Restarted running 6/26/10

City of Festivals 5k - 08/07/10 (40:45) - ran with Mrs. F and four of the kids!

• WIguy Pro 136 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    1,737. Aug 4, 2010 12:12 PM (in response to Jasmine1972)

Jasmine1972 wrote:

The race starts at 8AM, so it will be in the low 80's. This is the same course that I did one year ago (when I was starting C25K & was 55# heavier) and then it took me 62.7 mins to complete.  It's not flat, w several inclines and one hill, so with this heat, I'm not going to break my 5K PR from a flatter course.  But today I did it in 42.7 mins, and I don't think I'll be much faster next weekend. But still 31% improvement.

I'd call it a 47% improvement because you are running 47% faster to reduce your overall time by 31%.  Enjoy your 5K next week.  I wish I could send you some of these cooler (<70F) Wisconsin mornings to give you a break from the heat.

C25K - graduated 7/9/10

---

Justiceworks' JustRun 5K - 9/4/10: 24:52

American Cancer Society Walk/Run 5K - 9/19/10: 24:20

Lettie's River Run 5K - 10/9/10: 24:59

• vaultingdoc Rookie 7 posts since
    Feb 3, 2008
    1,738. Aug 4, 2010 12:39 PM (in response to AFatManRunning)

AFatManRunning:

You are right about the Newton shoes.  They are expensive but they do have a 30 day money back.  I will say they take a long time to adjust just like barefoot running.  It took me 3 months to no longer have soreness from them but know I won't go without them and everyone I have met who has them says the same thing. So really follow the directions on how to break them in.

• dan_the_runner Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 20, 2010
    1,739. Aug 4, 2010 12:41 PM (in response to Wideguy)

Started preplanning today (I am an 8th grade teacher).  What a drag after being off the whole summer!  One way i told myself that it would be better would be by going for a workout during lunch.

In the past I would head over to the P/X with a bunch of fellow teachers, pay too much money for too much food, and come back sleepy and stuffed and not feeling good.

Today I ate a snack pack, a pack of cheese crackers, and half a Gatorade and headed to the nice sand track a mile down the road.  Started out walking, then stretched, then did Week 5, Day 1.  2.25 miles in about 32 minutes including the warmup and cooldown walks.  Then I decided that lunch wasn't so important and went on to do Week 1, Day 1 as the jog/jog faster "speed workout" for about another mile and then walked for about 10 minutes after that.  Overall time was just over an hour and distance was 4.25 miles.

I am not even winded when I am running, which feels great!  Bring on the longer run intervals!

Began C25k: July 12, 2010

Completed C25k: Sept. 13, 2010

"If I can do it, anyone can!"

Starting Weight: 289 lbs.

Current Weight: 274 lbs.

Goal Weight: 235 lbs.

Began Gateway to 8k: Sept. 25, 2010

RUNNING GOAL: to run a half marathon in 2011

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...