Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

13682 Views 47 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2011 2:23 PM by MelissaGraham7 Go to original post 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
  • runningchew20 Amateur 11 posts since
    Jan 15, 2008
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 5, 2010 12:42 PM (in response to Marykb)
    Re: Marathon in 5 months?

Mary, Here is your first success story.  5K to Marathon. I also had a lot of people tell me I was crazy and I would never finish.  I did finish it and I am running my third marathon this fall. 

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    16. Aug 5, 2010 12:43 PM (in response to Marykb)

Marykb wrote:

@00HokieRunner

Even though your advice is sound and well intended, I have noticed after being on these forums a couple of years that anybody who comes on here and asks some variation of the following:  "I just started running and I want to run a marathon in 4 months/6 months/whatever.  Can I do it?" invariably has already made up their mind.   Many experienced runners will give a reality check and advice like yours only to be ignored in favor of the rah-rah folks - "You can do anything!  Don't let anyone tell you that you can't!"

I've taken the attitude that time will tell no matter what anyone has to say about it.  Either it can be done or it can't.  And nearly every single time, without fail, you never hear back from these folks.  I have yet to hear a successful marathon race report from one of these over enthusiastic newbie runners.  So....we'll see.  I wish the OP good luck in her endeavor and I hope that if she does indeed do the marathon she WILL come back and tell us about it!

:thumbs-up:

rah-rah ain't gettin' it done at mile 22

training and a reasonable plan may get it done

• Moriates Legend 297 posts since
    Jul 19, 2008
    17. Aug 5, 2010 1:46 PM (in response to RunCookie)

I don't see what the big deal is.  5 months is perfect timing for finishing a marathon.

BEST OF LUCK AND CRUSH IT!

GREG C. MORIATES

Owner/Coach - LET ME HELP YOU ACHIEVE GREATNESS!

GCM Endurance

www.GCMEndurance.com

Team/Club Xtreme Multisports, Inc.

www.xtrememultisports.com

Blog: http://xtrememultisports.tumblr.com/

Become a Fan: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Xtreme-Multisports/117254468321101?ref=sgm

Twitter: http://twitter.com/xtrememulti

Sponsors:

VCRC Bikes | FFWD | Synergy Sports| SportMulti | Skins USA | Rudy Project | Athletes Honey Milk | Honey Stinger | Tri Life Gear

• 00HokieRunner Pro 124 posts since
    Feb 7, 2008
    18. Aug 5, 2010 3:08 PM (in response to Moriates)

No offense - but this coming from a coach is a bit concerning. 20 weeks is an adequete time to prepare - that does not mean you should do it. If that's the case we should just all go out and do an ironman!

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    19. Aug 5, 2010 3:21 PM (in response to RunCookie)

I'm brand new to running as well - only just finished week 4 of C25K & I would be very hesitant to try a full on marathon in January & here's why. The cardiovascular system starts making adaptions to cope with running in 3-6 weeks. The muscles take longer - 6 to 12 weeks. What takes longest & what may be most crucial in terms of preventing lasting injuries is the skeleton, tendons & ligaments. They can take 9 months to a year to adapt well to running; especially a lot of distance & many days running in a week. And that's just one 'cycle' of improvement!

I've got a 5K planned for the end of October, an 8K for January 2nd & am prepping for a half marathon towards the end of April. I'm not committing to the half until I'm able to handle 5 days of running a week without excess fatigue or undue strain. I'm not carrying any excess weight - in fact I'm looking to gain 10-15 pounds but even so, I figure better safe than sorry. I want to run long term & a major setback right now would be really discouraging.

Now it may be possible to prep for a walk/run marathon distance in this short period of time but you're only giving yourself 5 months. That's a huge committment in time & effort both with the training, the rest you have to try & fit in & careful attention to nutrition. I wish you luck. You're braver than I am.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• Marykb Legend 1,347 posts since
    Jan 16, 2008
    20. Aug 5, 2010 3:55 PM (in response to Moriates)

Moriates wrote:

I don't see what the big deal is.  5 months is perfect timing for finishing a marathon.

BEST OF LUCK AND CRUSH IT!

AND..... we have a winner!

Usually doesn't take long for the "cheerleaders" to join these threads.  "You've never run a step before and you want to run a marathon in 20 weeks?  Go for it!"

I agree, though, it usually isn't a person with so-called credentials who would give such advice.   Yeah, Moriates, 20 weeks is a perfect amount of time to train for a marathon IF you already have a running base and some experience.  We're talking Couch to Marathon here.  But okay, whatever.  I'm sure this is just what the OP wanted to hear! 

Feb 7, 2008
    21. Aug 5, 2010 4:08 PM (in response to Marykb)

lol... Mary we are so on the same page today!

• truhlman Rookie 1 posts since
    Aug 6, 2009
    22. Aug 5, 2010 6:01 PM (in response to RunCookie)

I actually did just that last year. Five months before my targeted marathon (Detroit Free Press Marathon), I decided to become a runner. I was already a long-distance walker, having completed several 60 mile walks with the Breast Cancer 3-Day since 2005. Still, people thought I was crazy, especially when I was "crowding" 50! But since starting running in May 2009, I have completed two full marathons....not in record time by any means (5:45), but I finished! Focus on just finishing no matter if you are the last runner to cross the finish line. Run your own race. You do have to listen to your body, but if you are in good shape it is doable. I took a marathon workshop at the local running store (thanks HANSONS!), and read a lot of articles on running. I found Active.com very helpful!

• Dog-lover Legend 373 posts since
    Mar 5, 2008
    23. Aug 6, 2010 3:56 AM (in response to Marykb)

I guess I've always believed that these Active message boards are for advice and yes "Cheerleading" at times.  For me it's always nice to get some encouragement sometimes.  Looking back on my first marathon I know that I wish I would have worked my way up to it more slowly and allowed myself to enjoy running more. That being said, there are many respected coaches that have beginner training plans that are 20- 26 weeks and bring the newbee runner up to the distance slowly.  It's super hard, I know I did it but it actually is done on regular basis.  Like I said in my previous post,  even though looking back I'd do it different I don't think I would have done it if I hadn't just jumped in and committed.  Training for and actually doing that first marathon was one of the most amazing and wonderful experiences, difficult as heck but still amazing and wonderful.  I felt very proud having pushed through and accomplishing such a difficult endeavor. During the process I tried to educate myself on health, running and the best way to actually do it, I've since run 3 more and I'm still learning and love running.  It can be done and if the person is determined to do it this way then I say,  go for it, be safe, educate yourself as much as possible and enjoy the accomplishment!  Crush it is a relative term, so what ever "Crush" it means to you,  go for it!!

Quote from Bob Moawad  " You can't make footprints in the sands of time if you are sitting on your butt. And who wants to make buttprints in the sands of time"

2008 - Grandma's marathon - 4:51            2011 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:46

2009 - Get in Gear 1/2 marathon - 1:49    2011 - Green Bay marathon - 3:51

2009 - Grandma's marathon - 4:13            2011 - Grandma's marathon - 3:45

2009 - Twin Cities marathon - 4:02           2011 - Minneapolis Pride 5k - 21:31

2010 - Grandma's marathon - 3:58 ya hoo!

2010 - Twin Cities marathhon - 3:55

Jan 15, 2008
    25. Aug 6, 2010 5:44 AM (in response to RunCookie)

You just have to remember there are some people on these boards that consider themselves experts--they're not.  It's quite an ego boost for someone to post their two cents on the "Newbie Cafe" message boards I guess...   Anyhew...Use the negative feedback to motivate you.  I'm not sure about you RunCookie but when someone tells me I can't do something it motivates me to actually do it!

Train smart! 

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    26. Aug 6, 2010 6:17 AM (in response to runningchew20)

runningchew20 wrote:

You just have to remember there are some people on these boards that consider themselves experts--they're not.  It's quite an ego boost for someone to post their two cents on the "Newbie Cafe" message boards I guess...   Anyhew...Use the negative feedback to motivate you.  I'm not sure about you RunCookie but when someone tells me I can't do something it motivates me to actually do it!

Train smart!

Are you kidding? RC asked for advice and you are going to question the motives of those who posted? And because the opinions of some were to say -- do it safely -- and that is considered "negative". You have a funny definition of negative.

Jan 15, 2008
    27. Aug 6, 2010 6:33 AM (in response to skypilot77)

I think to poke fun at those being supportive is quite negative and also somewhat arrogant.  So, to answer your question, clearly I was not kidding.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,430 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    28. Aug 6, 2010 7:39 AM (in response to RunCookie)

5 months is a pretty short timeframe for going from couch to marathon.  Can you do it?  Sure, assuming you’re in reasonably good health and don’t get injured during the training.  Can you be successful?  It depends on your definition of success.  If it’s just finishing, I would think yes.  Disney has a 7 hour time limit, and you can finish 26.2 miles at a brisk walk in 7 hours.  If you want to “enjoy” the race as well, more preparation time would be to your advantage.  Though Disney is good in that regard, because there are many "characters" and other distractions as you run through the parks.  But there are also long sections with little more to do than run, hope it stays cool, talk to other runners, wait for the next Sharpie sign and count the cracks in the pavement.

Usually two kinds of people show up here asking your question.  One thinks he wants to become a runner and is going to do it by jumping in whole-hog and “training” for a marathon.  Lacking any idea of what he’s getting into, he often finds the training much more difficult and time-consuming than expected.  He’s not enjoying it and the marathon itself is simply painful.  And his chances for overall success as a runner are greatly diminished.  The other just wants to cross “finish a marathon” off his “bucket list”.  This one usually has the same issues with the training and the race but doesn’t worry because he’s never going to do it again.  And that’s OK, though disappointing to many of the rest of us.

Your biggest issue will be to avoid injury.  You’re doing in 5 months what most new runners do over the course of a couple years.  Your body – muscles, tendons, joints, lungs – will have a lot of adaptations to make in a relatively short period of time.  LISTEN TO YOUR BODY!  We say that all the time but in your case it is particularly important.

Good luck.

Len

Len

Feb 7, 2008
    29. Aug 6, 2010 8:09 AM (in response to runningchew20)

There are no experts in anything as far as I'm concerned - only the more educated either by knowledge or experience. I think it's easily confused those who are geniuely trying to help, and those who simply are trolls. As far as I can tell, everyone here has been trying to help. What it comes down to is sometimes people don't want to hear the answer. That's fine - this is a board of opinions not facts.

I will point out one thing about your comment that might bring the point to home - very end you said "train smart". How does someone who has never trained before know how to train smart?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...