Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

838378 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS 1 2 3 ... 297 Previous Next
Donna914 Legend 357 posts since
Aug 2, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 6, 2010 10:03 AM

Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Hello all,

We used to have a thread for slow runners called Penguins about last year at this time. I can't find it now. The term came from a man named John Bingham who used to write a column about slow runners for Runners World. He has a blog here http://johnbingham.competitor.com/ and another website at http://www.johnbingham.com/penguin.html.  Some of us are penguins because we run for the joy of running and not for the competition. Some are just competing against themselves.

I wanted to start a thread for slow runners because I am a slow runner, a jogger, even called a wogger before. I run in the 15:30mm and average with walking 16:30mm. I used to be at least a minute slower than this. I am over 200 pounds and have lost 35 so far. I am turning 50 in September and just want to be in shape. My kids are in college and it is me time now. I am renewing my running since I finished graduate school and ready to start running in earnest again. I signed up for a 10K the day I finished my MBA and have 12 weeks to prepare for it. I had only been running about 2 miles so have to go farther to get to that 6.2 miles of a 10K.  I am looking for a program but they seem to be too hard for me or even a little too easy. Hal Higdon's 10K novice is about right.

Anyone who wants support and companionship with other slow runners; please join in and tell us your story.

• scubamichele Amateur 10 posts since
    Jul 19, 2010
    1. Aug 6, 2010 11:56 AM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I just finished c25k today.  I've never been a runner and I'm quite amazed that I can go 30 minutes straight now.  Before I had kids, I used to work out regularly  but between work and the kids, exercise took a back burner.  My kids are now old enough to come with me on their bikes or scooters (they're 9 and 8) and I started c25k thinking I can carve out 90 minutes in a week to run.  I do some morning runs and some when I'm traveling for work but the others we do as a family.  My husband's picked it back up too.

My times are slow but getting faster.  I started the program averaging 17 minutes/mile between the running and walking.  I'm now running at 13:30 minute/miles but if I do 3.1 miles it's still taking me almost 45 minutes because in 30 minutes I'm only covering about 2.5 miles so I need to get the runs to be longer.  I'm signed up to do a 5k in mid-September and I'm hoping to break 40 minutes.

I'm thinking of doing the 'one hour runner' next.  Or maybe a combo of long runs and going back to intervals to try and work on speed.

• Katweb44 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    2. Aug 6, 2010 2:30 PM (in response to Donna914)

I'm a penguin too!! I've been running about 3 months and run about a 13mm. I'm a 44 year old mother of 3 and have never been a runner to speak of. I am bothered by shin splints constantly so anytime I even think about speeding up my shins remind me its not a good idea. On days when my shins arent hurting I have started out faster but tend to settle into my same pace. Its comfortable and pleasurable and I am certainly not running for anyone elses happiness but mine. I did one 5k July 4th which I finished in 37:59. I will never be competative but I sure do enjoy my time on the track so thats why I run. It makes my head happy.

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    3. Aug 6, 2010 5:16 PM (in response to Donna914)

I love this thread already. Turning 50 mid-November & while I've always LIKED the idea of being a runner - I always seemed to hit the 'no pain, no gain' school of training. Complete turn off.

I started C25K a month ago & immediately threw out the distance measurements; I'm working strictly on time intervals. Doing that & keeping the pace slow has meant success so far. I've completeed W4 & I know I can handle Week5 - the last day is a little scary but...LOL

I don't know if I'm a permanent penguin or if it's due to the newness of it all but I sure like a thread with other runners not pressured to do certain times. So far, my running has been work but not so bad that I'm tempted to quit. If I have to run like a penguin to keep the enjoyment factor up, then so be it. It's about fitness & feeling good about myself, not about thinking I can set records.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• Omma2boyz Rookie 4 posts since
    Jul 29, 2010
    6. Aug 7, 2010 3:20 PM (in response to Donna914)

Great idea for a thread!  Being in the 13mm range, I call myself a "Slogger" (slow jogger) but "Penguin" sounds so much nicer!     By the way, I also live in Southern Indiana where as you know it's been in the triple digits this week -- way too hot for this old penguin to be wogging or slogging or doing much of anything outdoors!  Although I managed 2 runs last week, for safety reasons I'm substituting my elliptical for the road until the temps come back down.

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    7. Aug 7, 2010 8:28 PM (in response to Dougal40)

Dougal - just... wow! I've just finished the book he wrote with his wife: 'Running For Mortals'. What a wonderful read. He's got a superb way of passing on essential information in a way that makes it stick. He's very motivating & reassuring without glossing over the amount of work required to become a seasoned runner. The book has been a great deal of help to me & I've reserved a copy of Marathoning For Mortals at my local library.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• classicallytrained Legend 375 posts since
    Jul 20, 2009
    8. Aug 8, 2010 10:36 AM (in response to Katweb44)

Katweb and other Penquins,

Congratulations on the progress you are making.

I have been running for a year now and have suffered several injuries.

Hopefully, I can pass on some shortcuts to help you avoid the mistakes that I have made over this year.

I have found that many injuries like shin splits come from over striding.

I had never been a runner before so when I started c25k I started out slowly. 16 minute miles.

When I decided to try to increase my speed, I thought the right solution would be to increase the length of my stride. Logical, right?

WRONG!

I found out the hard way, that the way to increase your speed is to increase the number of foot strikes.

This may be a help to you all also.

Try running in place and getting 30 footstrikes in 10 seconds. Run in place at this pace for one minute (180 footstrikes).

This method also makes you run on the front part of your foot. It also keeps your feet below your knees and hips.

This is so important...even when running faster, keep your feet below your knees and hips.

When you get comfortable enough to take it outside, you might find you can only run a quarter mile at this pace. That's okay.

The next time, you'll be able to increase that distance to, maybe, a half mile.

Pretty soon, you'll be up to 3 miles and more, running faster and, hopefully, without injury.  

Because you will be runing faster, this method needs to have dynamic stretching, lunges and sufficient warmups before hitting the street.

But, hopefully, you will enjoy your experience even more and have less pain as a result.

Life is one big experiment. I just wish someone had told me all of this a year ago.

Finish strong.

A former Penquin...

Mike 

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    9. Aug 8, 2010 6:02 PM (in response to SlogOn)

Hi everyone!  Mind if I join in?  I started C25K on 6/14/10 and completed W6D2 yesterday.  I currently do between 14:30 and 15:30 mm.  I have repeated a few weeks as needed getting my endurance up and working through some "growing pains".  I am a 53 year old Nana of 2 in Ohio.  I have kept John Bingham's "No Need for Speed" out of the library for 6 weeks.  It is an awesome read, instructional and inspirational.  I reccommend it highly. 

It's nice to find a thread of runners not trying to beat the sound barrier, just trying to enjoy their run.  If you'll have me, I'd like to keep up with this thread. 

Melinda

P.S. - I like the term penquin too. 

• joeyverville Amateur 61 posts since
    Aug 31, 2006
    10. Aug 8, 2010 6:40 PM (in response to QueenKitty)

i started running at age 50 and am a slow runner and seem to be getting slower each year. (i'll be 55 soon).  in my workouts i generally walk with short spurts of running.  but i can walk on the fast side, about 14-14:30 pace with walk paces down to about 11:00.  i would like to be more of consistent runner but can't sustain the run for long.  i run a few 5Ks each year but don't run consistently in my exercise routines.

does anyone have any suggestions to keep up the slow pace with running?  i think slow running still beats fast walking...hang in there everyone and let me know your thoughts.  good thread!

• dlh1070 Rookie 4 posts since
    Feb 22, 2010
    11. Aug 8, 2010 7:50 PM (in response to Katweb44)

Hi!   I'm a new runner too.   Ran 1 5k on 4th of July and will probably do 1 or 2 more this year.   I had trouble with shin splints too, so went to a running store to be properly fitted for running shoes.   They said I overpronate on my left leg, so I got New Balance stability shoes (I think they are 762 model) and what a difference!!   My pain totally is gone now!   They cost more, but was worth every penny.   This may be something you want to check out.   Good luck!

• lvivas Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    12. Aug 8, 2010 10:38 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hello,

I'm a slow runner as well. I am 44 and I love John Bingham's books. I have started and stopped and started and stopped over the last few years.

I would like to sign up for a 5K on October 10th in San Luis Obispo. My goal is to finish under 40 minutes. This week I start my 7th

week of slow running/walking.  I have finished a couple of 5K's in Gilroy over the past few years. The goal then was to finish without dying.

I'd like to complete a few more 5K's and move on to a 10K.

I have recently dropped 30 lbs and hope to lose a few more. I really enjoy running, even if it is slow and includes some walking. The progress and

the feeling of getting into shape is great. 

• Katweb44 Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    13. Aug 9, 2010 8:43 AM (in response to classicallytrained)

Thank you all for your helpful advice. Unfortunately I have tried all of the suggestions. I've had my husband watch me run for form problems. We cant find any and I do focus on my form while running. I have new shoes purchased at our local running store from an "expert" who analyzed my feet. I thought I had a stress fracture so I saw an orthopedic surgeon. Xrays found nothing. I simply think my legs need to build up more strength. I have cut back from 3 1/2 miles to 2 miles/ run to give my legs a break. Pain seems to be a bit less. I wont give it up. I love it too much. So I'll just keep plugging away at my penguin pace and loving those moments of quiet solitude...me and my Ipod

• vcackerman Legend 340 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    14. Aug 9, 2010 8:57 AM (in response to Donna914)

The one thing I keep telling myself is that I may never be the fastest (currently around 10:15 pace), but I will finish my races and continue to improve.  At the end of the day, I'm not racing for medals - I'm racing to be in better shape and have fun. 

PRs:

5K: 27:54 (Roselle Run for the Roses, June 2011)

4M: 37:51 (Elmhurst 4 on the 4th, July 2011)

8K: 46:46  Chicago Shamrock Shuffle (April 2011)

10K: 60:16 (Lisle Spring Spint Mar 2011)

HM: 2:10:03 (Great Western HM May 2011)

Upcoming:

7/23/2011 Waterfall Glen Xtreme 10 Miler

1 2 3 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...