Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

4917 Views 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2010 6:31 AM by TheSillyErudite 1 2 Previous Next
TheSillyErudite Amateur 36 posts since
Aug 10, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 10, 2010 8:13 AM

Was C25K W3D1 hard for you too?

Hey everyone,

This is my first time posting.  I'm really glad I found this forum, otherwise this morning's run might really get me down.  I just finished W3D1 and I feel like I got slapped in the face.  I'm wondering if the transitions from week to week will feel this abrupt from now on.  I was shugging along right on through weeks one and two and then all of a sudden today comes along and, while my legs aren't sore like they were before, I am winded and just barely making it through.  I'm wondering if this feeling will go away as I progress through week three, if this is what all the weekly transitions from now on will feel like, and whether or not I can get through this program.  I will admit that it was warmer and more humid this morning than other mornings, but I don't know if I can place the onus completely on the weather.

So I'm curious, for those of you that have completed W3, how was it for you?  Did it get harder as the program progressed?

Thanks.

L.

• Watcher10 Amateur 18 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    1. Aug 10, 2010 9:50 AM (in response to TheSillyErudite)
    Re: Was C25K W3D1 hard for you too?

I don't know where you regionally located, but in SE Michigan it was extremely humid this morning @100%!

So, don't worry so much about it.  If you feel you need to, repeat W3D1 in a day or two - and note the temp/humidity level before or after your run.  For me, it is very difficult to perform well outdoors when it's hot & humid, so 99% my running has been indoors on a treadmill this summer.

PLANNED

5k for Cancer Race - St. Mary Mercy Hospital - 9/12/10

Big House Big Heart (5k) - 10/3/10

Hudson Mills Turkey Trot (5k) - 11/13/10

Holiday Hustle (5k) - 12/4/10

COMPLETED

Ann Arbor Firecracker 5k  7/4/10 - 35:55

• FaithUpHigh Pro 107 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010
    2. Aug 10, 2010 10:08 AM (in response to TheSillyErudite)

Hello there!!  This is also my first time posting here.  W3 was to me, an abrupt change.  Didn't notice it too much the first time, I was just happy to be alive!  But the second time, I felt like I couldn't get enough oxygen in my lungs.  Given, it was really humid, I'm an ex-smoker (quit 3 weeks ago), and was the definition of the word "couch potato".

I'm hoping that tomorrow isn't so bad but, it's suppose to be really hot and humid tomorrow.  The only good thing I guess is that I started doing additional cardio yesterday so we'll see.

I don't know what W4 is like.  I should be there on Monday!

Graduate of C25K ~ September 26, 2010

Hal Higdon Novice 10k - Start Nov 1, 2010

Upcoming Races ~

Resolution Run 5k 1/1/2011

Optimist Frozen Goose Run for a Cure 10k (WinterFest IX Event)   2/5/11

Lace Up Against Breast Cancer 5k  2/13/11

Med City Marathon (1/2 Marathon)  5/29/11

Results ~

Lupus Walk For Hope & 5K Trail Run 9/18/10    (33:52)

The Nightbeat 5k 10/15/10 (34:12)

PR's  ~

1 mile ~ 11.17

5K ~ 33:52

• SeekingSasquatch Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    5. Aug 11, 2010 11:34 AM (in response to TheSillyErudite)

I do think the weather has a lot do to with it.  It's not terribly hot here in Michigan today, but it's still VERY humid.  I just finished W3D2 and neither D1 or today were difficult until about the last minute of the second 3 minute run, then I wondered if I'd be able to make it. 

Sometimes when I reeeeallly want to stop, I break it down and say "OK, my legs are tired but can they keep going?  Yeah..."   and then "So I'm breathing hard, but am I wheezing or gasping for air?  Not yet..." and that helps me not stop.  But by the time that last walk rolls around at the 15 minute mark, I'm sucking in air hard LOL.... I can't imagine doing 3 and 5 minute runs next week.  Yikes.

• emmaleigh47 Pro 174 posts since
    Jun 24, 2010
    6. Aug 11, 2010 6:49 PM (in response to TheSillyErudite)

First of all, good for you for even doing it. I agree with you about week 3 though, when I started c25k week 1 was hard but doable, week 2 actually felt good and then I hit week 3. I finished every workout, but that was absolutely gutting it out and it was horrid. It was right after week 3 I had some knee pain (and hadnt had that before). Also at that time I decided to transition outside... I began to worry that running was too much for me at my weight (256 today started at 268) .... so I decided to adjust the program.

I switched off of c25k and started with just intervals... I initially run 1 min/walk 3 min, then run 1 min/walk 2 mins, then run 1.5/walk 2.. etc.

I have been increased by 30sec - 1 minute depending on how I feel... my last run was 2.5min run/2 min walk ... and I was able to make it 2.6 miles (and running for 17 minutes). This program is working better for me... and I love it and enjoy it!

Just something to consider I guess....

Started: July 2010 at 273#

Fox Cities 5K on 9/17: 45:19 (264#)

Shake a Tail Feather 5K on 10/16: 45:09 (254#)

Hope Run for Africa 5K on 10/23: 42:45 (248#)

Jingle Bell Run 5K on 11/6/10: 44:20 (248#)

Turkey Trot 5 mile on 11/25/10: (246#)

Miami ING Half Marathon 3:23:56

Oshkosh Half Marathon 3:16:38 (PR)

Cellcom Half Marathon in GB (horridly windy race) 3:21:56 (244#)

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    9. Aug 12, 2010 4:51 PM (in response to TheSillyErudite)

Oddly enough, my toughest run so far was W1D2 - go figure. It was as though my body had completely forgotten how to put one foot in front over the other, breathing was working right & if I could have found a way to trip over my left arm, I'd have done just that!

We probably all will end this program with 4 runs etched in our minds: W1D1, W9D3, the ONE run where you felt like your feet had wings & the Ultimate Run From Hell. The first two are pretty obvious - we start, we 'graduate'... somewhere in the middle come the other two & the whys & wherefors may remain a mystery for a while. I don't know what I 'need' to do the day or evening before a planned run - I'm playing it by ear... badly. I SHOULD go to bed earlier, SHOULD make sure I'm well hydrated, etc. I still don't do it half the time. It's enough that I'm learning to make RUNNING a part of my daily & weekly routines; the rest will have to get in line...LOL

Running - so simple yet at the same time so complicated - who knew? And I have to say, READING certain cautionary tales & warning is one thing, EXPERIENCING the not so good & bad days for oneself are a completely different ballgame!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• thenancyrd Amateur 36 posts since
    Jun 29, 2010
    10. Aug 12, 2010 4:57 PM (in response to SlogOn)

No no no, don't throw in the towel! This is a good thing you are doing for yourself! Just take it slow... it is ok to repeat a week. Week 3 killed me too for some reason... I repeated week 3. I am currently in week 6 and my biggest fear occured - I pulled a muscle. I'm not doing W6D3 tomorrow, I will repeat week 6 next week. It kills me to type that, but that's reality and I know I will be better if I don't run tomorrow and let my muscle heal itself. This is no competition with anyone else but yourself, so treat yourself firmly but intelligently and go at your own pace.

Started C25k on June 21, 2010

Graduated C25k on September 11, 2010

Registered for Heart of the Highlands 5k - October 9, 2010

• MsLilyT Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    11. Aug 14, 2010 8:50 AM (in response to TheSillyErudite)

I am on W3D3 tomorrow, and I actually found W3 easier than W2, although during the 3 mins I had to repeat, "I can do this" and "Yes, Yes, Yes" LOL ... humidity levels do play a part, that's for sure. Keep it slow and steady and if your breathing is labored, slow down or go back to walking or repeat week 2 again..no one says your can't repeat a week...don't over do it..give your body time to adjust. Your body will let you know. I have no issues with breathing, it's the shins that ache that get me...even being properly fit for shoes, but they only ache when running and not after I'm done, so I think it's just getting them conditioned.

I'm looking forward to W4D1 on Wednesday!!

I agree the forum helps keep me motivated to get out there and run!! I like being able to say "I did it!"

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no  membership card to get. You just run."  - John Bingham

Started C25K August 2010!!

I'm driving from VA to ME to run my first 5K with my sister on Oct 2nd

"The Dempsey Challenge" - If you'd like to donate for the cause (cancer) please send me a private message and I'll send you my donation link

• SeekingSasquatch Expert 46 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    12. Aug 14, 2010 9:22 AM (in response to MsLilyT)

MsLily, if I can offer a couple of suggestions regarding the shins....

First, make sure your calves are good and stretched (after your warmup walk, before the running).  If they're tight, then the muscle that runs along the outside of the shin has to work extra-hard to lift the foot to clear the ground when you swing that leg through.

AND, this is something I had trouble with forEVER before realizing what I was doing.... you may be bringing your foot out too far in front of you and landing on the heel... that'll stress the heck out of that same muscle.  Forget about landing on the heel and rolling forward.... try landing with the foot right underneath you, and pushing off good with the calf after that, and see if that helps.  For me, it helped tremendously and so far, no issues with the shins.  Good luck!

Stacy

• MsLilyT Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    13. Aug 14, 2010 10:18 AM (in response to SeekingSasquatch)

Stacy,

Thanks for the tip!! I'll definitely try that tomorrow!! 

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no  membership card to get. You just run."  - John Bingham

Started C25K August 2010!!

I'm driving from VA to ME to run my first 5K with my sister on Oct 2nd

"The Dempsey Challenge" - If you'd like to donate for the cause (cancer) please send me a private message and I'll send you my donation link

• jjs561 Amateur 16 posts since
    Aug 6, 2010
    14. Aug 14, 2010 6:15 PM (in response to MsLilyT)

Week 3 wasn't too bad, but week 4 is tough for me now....so I'm basically repeating week 3 over again.  I think everyone has their own roadblocks at different points....but I'm sure I'll get past it eventually.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...