Skip navigation

227 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Apr 12, 2010 2:47 PM by juniorparent RSS
RinkManagement Amateur 38 posts since
Aug 28, 2008
Currently Being Moderated

Apr 10, 2010 5:18 AM

Lancaster peewee AA forfeits @ Nationals?

What happened to Lancaster peewee AA at Nationals?  They are listed as having gone 0-3, with 3 forfeit loses.  Originally, they were listed as winning their 2nd game, 5-0.  Red Bank is a #1 seed and went 3-0 in the round robin.  OYR went 0-3.

http://www.usahockey.com/Tournament/TournamentScheduleUser.aspx?EventID=2383&AgeDivisionID=1661

• ville41 Rookie 7 posts since
    Jul 26, 2002
    1. Apr 11, 2010 5:57 PM (in response to RinkManagement)
    Re: Lancaster peewee AA forfeits @ Nationals?

I was told they were disqualified for not participating in the Easton Skills Contest. Each team is required (and it is noted in your instruction book you receive upon qualifying for nationals to send in the name of one skater, and one goaltender by a deadline, and you must participate, or the rules state you will be disqualified for the tournament. They did not send in names, or players to the contest.

• Practical Sam Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    2. Apr 12, 2010 6:10 AM (in response to ville41)

If this is true, how ridiculous is this? 

First, there is a rule that would DQ a team from the national tournament for not participating in a some skills competition?  Give me a break.  These kids worked for a whole season to earn their trip to nationals.  They shouldn't have that taken away from them because they weren't in the skills competition.

Second, if anyone "failed" here, it is the adults who were responsible for getting the kids entered into and to the skills competition.  So, sanction the adults-district/league/coach/manager/whoever-who were at fault.  But to DQ an entire team of 12 year old kids?

How does USA Hockey expect to keep enrollment up when this kind of stupidity rules the day?

• juniorparent Amateur 25 posts since
    Sep 16, 2009
    3. Apr 12, 2010 2:47 PM (in response to Practical Sam)

The coach should be suspended. All 288 teams or so that competed at Nationals followed the rule. This was told to each team well in advance. Why a coach would ever do that to kids is beyond me, what was he thinking? Every other team had no problem following a simple rule at a tournament that should be a great experiance for kids. I suspect he will get a hefty suspension

"How does USA Hockey expect to keep enrollment up when this kind of stupidity rules the day? "

This has nothing to do with USA hockey. This has everything to do with an egomaniac that felt he was above the rules laid out well in advance. How hard is it to put a goalie and a player in a skills competition? Blame no one but the coach

• Practical Sam Amateur 31 posts since
    Mar 4, 2010
    4. Apr 13, 2010 6:00 AM (in response to juniorparent)

I don't think we disagree.  If what you're telling me is that the coach made a conscious decision (as opposed to just being a bonehead) to break the rule (however dumb the rule may be), then I don't have a problem with him being suspended.

And that's exactly what the punishment should be:  the rule-breaker gets suspended (or maybe more appropriately, barred from the tournament).  For USA Hockey to DQ the entire team (i.e., the kids) is absurd.  That punishment doesn't fit the crime.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...