Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

11536 Views 56 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2010 6:44 PM by StuAblett 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
ExpatDani Rookie 2 posts since
Aug 13, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 13, 2010 3:17 AM

Starting C25K this Sat, 08-14-10 (Want to join me?)

Hello All-

I'm starting the couch to 5-K tomorrow morning, bright and early. Do you want to join me so that we can motivate each other? Running is something that I've always wanted to do, but have never been able to motivate myself to keep doing.

One of the biggest challenges I've faced is motivating myself to continue day 2 or 3 and beyond. Does anyone have any suggestions for what motivates you to keep going? I've tried finding running buddies, but either we're not on the same level (they're runners and get bored with my pace) or on the same level (we're both couchers and end up demotivating each other :-0 )

My short-term running goal: Complete the Couch to 5-K in the recommended amount of time

My long-term running goal: Be able to run an hour or more without stopping by December.

Overall goal: I want to live a healthy, active lifestyle!

Height: 5'5"

Weight: 145 lbs

Thanks,

Dani

• Harley2003 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010

I'm not able to start this Sat, 08-14-10.  I will be starting 08-15-10 if that helps you out with a running buddy.

• jaycih Pro 67 posts since
    Aug 10, 2010

I am starting Monday, Aug 16th.  I just did W1D1 today to see if it was even plausible.  I did it!  I am in the same boat in regards to motivation.  I have signed up for a 5 k in October so I am hoping that will help keep me motivated.  These message boards are great as well!  Good Luck!

• Harley2003 Amateur 8 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010
    3. Aug 13, 2010 5:45 AM (in response to jaycih)
    Re: Starting C25K this Sat, 08-14-10 (Want to join me?)

Officially starting the C25K program Sun, 08-15-10 with W1D1.  Unofficially, I will run/walk my own 5k on Sat 08-14-10 to see where I'm at with time.  I have a little challenge with some family members to see who has the most improvement in time prior to starting C25K.  We will follow the program to a "T" and compare the time to a 5K race in October.  I can be a running buddy if you need one!

• StuAblett Amateur 11 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010

My first post here, greetings from Tokyo Japan

I am doing the My Fitness Pal program (not a diet a lifestyle change!) and I ride the bicycle a lot, but I wanted to start running, or jogging too, just to mix things up a bit.

I started the MFP on June 11th 2010 and I've lost 30 pounds

We have had a lot of rain lately and I've not gotten my miles in. As we have a pretty good treadmill, that I got such a sweet deal on, I could not refuse it, a guy I knew was leaving the country, he has someone else lined up to buy the treadmill, the day before he left, they backed out. He called me needing to just get rid of it, but I had no desire to own a treadmill, I've never been a runner , but he was in a spot, and the price was stupid cheap, so I said OK. The last couple of years it has been a plant stand in our living room

Now I'm going to use it.

smooth_75hr.jpg

It is a "Smooth 7.5HR" which I understand is a good treadmill...?

Since I still weigh in at 270 pounds, and I have good knees, I am thinking I'll do the C25K on the treadmill, is this a bad idea?

I did one trial run today, I "Brisk Walked" at 4 kph/2.5 mph and I "Jogged" at 8 kph/5 mph. I have no real reference of how fast/slow that is.

In the end I felt fine, sure I was sweaty, but I was fine, in fact, I will say that the last one minute jog felt easier than the first one minute jog.

Tomorrow, Saturday August 14th, I'll start it for real, I downloaded the iPhone app and loaded it up with great songs!

I'm in it for the long haul, I have another 85 pounds to lose, I figure I'll get there about this time next year.

Happy to be here!

• den01hyg Rookie 3 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010

Just finishing week 2 today.  Also training for 5K in October but wondering if I can really do it as it is not as easy as I thought it would be and I am a little discouraged.

Aug 13, 2010

Go for it Den, if you enter and you have to slow down or walk a bit, but you finish, so what, it is your first 5K after all, from there they will only get better!

This is a journey, just keep on keeping on!

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    8. Aug 13, 2010 10:08 AM (in response to ExpatDani)

Welcome new runners. You're starting an exciting adventure! I'm only 5 weeks ahead of you & still learning something new every run. For now, just take it really slowly - we're not racing anywhere yet. By going slowly, you will find it easier to complete the scheduled runs successfully. I waited a few weeks before adding any cross training & then kept it light - some mild strength traioning with very low weights & a stretching routine. You will experience some aching, soreness & stiffness at first - it passes within a week or two. You'll also feel a bit more tired the first few weeks, then will find you have MORE energy.

Stick with it - if week 1 proves too hard, cut back to whatever amount of jogging you can handle, 45 seconds, 30 seconds, even 15. If it's miserable you won't want to continue. Don't be discouraged by a 'bad' session or week. Repeat them if you have to - this is long term stuff.

Happy running!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• Melissa.Anne Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010
    9. Aug 13, 2010 11:10 AM (in response to ExpatDani)

Hey all! Congrats on taking the step and starting C25K! I just completed W3D1 yesterday. Going out again a little later today- too bad it's absolutely miserable outside! Oh well. My advice to you for continuing is;

1. Tell friends and family. This is something to be proud of! And they will help keep you accountable.

2. Just do it. If you have the time, I say just get off the couch and go. Don't wait until later, because you will undoubtably find a reason not to go.

3. Keep talking with people on this forum. Its great to feel like there are people in the same boat as you!

Good Luck!

Melissa Anne

Began Couch to 5 K - 08.08.10

Currently Completed- W4D1

Age- 19

Goal- Love my body again. I know I can do it, I just need to take the time for myself.

• Busy Dad Expert 56 posts since
    Jul 27, 2010

I am in week 4 (for a couple of weeks due to sore feet) hopefully this upcoming week Ill move to week 5. Take things slow is my advice but good luck to you all

Goals : Live Healthier, 5k and beyond, enjoy life...

1Cor 3:16

• peachbird76 Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010

Hey Dani,

I'm starting the C25K program today. My daughter is half way thru and motivating me to get off my lazy butt. I really want to do this and get fit and healthy before the Xmas period hits.

I like this program because it's up to me only. Other times I've tried to exercise with others and it's just too hard. I either have to keep motivating them to continue or they drag me back with them.

I'm a 53 years old grandmother from Australia. I'm 157cm tall (approx 5'2") and weigh 68.5 kilos. I don't have a lot of weight to lose (thankfully) as I want to get to 55 kilos.

I really just want to be healthy and maybe we can all motivate each other.

Aug 13, 2010

I did it and I did not die! I thought it would be a lot harder, but I   handled it without any real problems. Some confusion on my part on using   the iPhone app, and I need to make an iPhone holder for my treadmill  as  I dropped my iP...hone THREE TIMES........!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm jogging at 4kph/2.5mph and jogging at 8kph/5mph, not exactly fast but a lot more running than I've done in YEARS

The   idea that I could get my weight down and that I could run at a decent   pace for a full half an hour is, at this moment a bit of an unreal   thought, but then again, being down 30 POUNDS from nine weeks ago is also a bit unreal, but I like it

Man it is nice to feel back in control of my life!

........... is this what they call a runner's high

Shower time for me, I'm  making puddles of sweat on the floor right now......

• peachbird76 Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 13, 2010

OK guys. I did it and doesn't it feel good to know I can accomplish something I thought I couldn't do.

I did all the intervals and only cut the 7th one short by 10 seconds.

I ran with my daughter who came with me to give encouragement.

She's starting her 6th week and loving it, so I figure I will too.

• Melissa.Anne Amateur 9 posts since
    Aug 9, 2010

Good for you guys- keep it up! This program really helps break it down to easy to handle times. Trust me, the feeling just gets better and better as you go along.

Just finished W3D2 today! I am excited to tackle W4 soon- I'm trying to get W4 under my belt before I move... on the 18th. I know that pushing myself this hard is probably not such a good idea, but I really want to get one of the tough weeks done before I move across the world! I know I won't be as diciplined there, so I'm hoing that I will have a good base done. I figure if I get done W4, well, then I'm over half-way there, and why stop when I've come this far?

Also trying to convince a friend to come out with me on Sunday. (technically my rest day). I really think she'd enjoy it and it would be cool to have a running buddy, abet 5000km away, but, what can you do. I'd definately do W1D1 with her.

Began Couch to 5 K - 08.08.10

Currently Completed- W4D1

Age- 19

Goal- Love my body again. I know I can do it, I just need to take the time for myself.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...