Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

868216 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 ... 297 Previous Next
  • johnsosa Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    30. Aug 14, 2010 5:23 AM (in response to Donna914)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

I happened to think of this the other day as I was running.  As I said before, I am 64 and have been running - I call myself turtle - for 8 years.  I run for a lot of reasons, but living where I do in upstate NY, there are very, very few female runners my age, so I get ridiculed a lot.  I had a friend who use to tell me over and over again how foolish I was to be running.  He said that I would ruin  my legs, hips, and knees, and that I would regret it some day.  He was 2 years older than me, overweight and very sedintary.  Well, he got lung cancer and died last year.  He didn't smoke, but they couldn't stop the spread of the cancer.

My only regret is that I didn't start to run sooner.  I am more active today, happier than I have ever been, and much healthier.  In fact, I don't have anything wrong with me, but I know that if anything does happen, my odds of fighting it are much great because I run.

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    38. Aug 14, 2010 6:45 PM (in response to Donna914)

Donna, thank you for the welcome.  And    MUCHO congratulations on getting healthier!  I don't have health conditions of any significance, so I'm hoping that this sport will help keep it that way.  Fingers crossed!

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    39. Aug 14, 2010 6:52 PM (in response to johnsosa)

Johnsosa, I have noticed as I look at the results from some of the events that I'm planning to participate in, those that have age divisions are likely to offer a very wide open field for us females of a certain age.  I think I am my own harshest ridiculer, but at least, so far, nobody has laughed at me to my face.  And anyway, you're right, we run for our health and really I think, for ourselves, not for others.

I went out and bought real running shoes today.  While I was getting fitted (!) there was a Mom in the store along with two young women, and the young women were getting fitted.  I caught a glimpse of one of them running on the treadmill for that part of the fitting, and I envied her graceful form.  I'm not there (yet/any more?).  But running makes me feel good, is good for my health, and I'm finding more and more that lots of us "old people" are not sooooo old that we can't move!!

Keep on running!  What a great group we have.  We can learn lots about life, the universe, and everything, from running, it seems!

I am noticing just how much of a mental activity it is.  I THINK I am tired, but I try changing my mental self-talk, going through a ChiRunning style relaxation of my body, think "form," and find I am NOT so tired.  Amazing.  Weird.  Kind of a source of some pride -- that I am beginning to be able to run through that initial "I can't" feeling!

Linda

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• lvivas Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    40. Aug 14, 2010 7:52 PM (in response to Donna914)

Thanks Donna,

I'm following the 5K walk run schedule in the back of John Bingham's book, Running for Mortals. I'm on week 9. W2 is walking for 2 minutes, i walk at 3.0 on the treadmill. R2 is for running for 2 minutes. I run (jog very slowly) at 5.0. I'm just going to move on to his next schedule, 5K run walk training.

I threw in the long runs on Saturdays from Jeff Galloway's book, Galloway's Book on Running, 2nd edition.

I'm a ways behind you. I did my 4.5 miles today walking 3 minutes, running 2 minutes W3R2, it took me 71 minutes. My family thought I was lost in the room haha. I'm going to stick to 4.5 miles for the next couple of Saturdays.

• lvivas Rookie 4 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    41. Aug 14, 2010 8:08 PM (in response to lvivas)

Donna- I forgot to mention congratulations on your long run. The 4.5 mile distance is a first for me too.

• tomscookie Pro 188 posts since
    Jul 9, 2010
    43. Aug 15, 2010 10:42 AM (in response to Donna914)

Hi All! Is it too late to join the Penguin Party?  I'm a slow runner too. I'm on W5 of C25K program. I'm off my original schedule by a little bit because I tweaked my back and had to rest for three days.

I've been overweight most of my life. The only time that I was ever at a normal weight for more then a year was when I was running in college. I used to run around the campus lake at Southern Illinois University every day. I was doing strength training 3 times a week as well. I've been up and down the scale by a hundred pounds or more at least 4 times. My lowest weight in the last 15 years was 225. In 2006 I went from 294 down to 225. As always, I lose focus and the weight comes back on. At the end if 2006 I got engaged and all my attention turned to the upcoming nuptials in February of 2007. I had gained back 20lbs in a few short months. I managed to maintain that weight until my Mom got sick and past away near the end of 2007. Since that time I climbed back up to 297 or more. This past Christmas I noticed that every single one of my siblings has put on 50lbs since my mother died. That was so sad to see. I vowed that as of January of 2010 I would do everything I could to get my health back and be a good example for my brother and sisters.

I quite smoking as of 01/01/10. I joined Curves so I could get some exercise and lose weight. The hip problem I was having for months started getting worse. I thought it was because I was so heavy. I didn't see a doctor about it until I ended up in the ER in March. It turned out that two of my disks are degenerating in my lower back and pressing on my sciatic nerve bundle. I had two injections in my spine to help block the pain so I could do physical therapy. In April I swallowed my pride and asked my primary care doctor to help me with weight loss. I knew all the weight I carry can't be helping my back. He's been so wonderful.

I started a new way of eating that I can live with. I've known all along that I over eat from stress, happiness, depression, tradition...any and all reasons. I was a member of Over Eaters Anon and became obsessive about food and exercise. I can pretty much get OC about anything. Anyway, but what I like to think is divine intervention from my mother, my husband got an email from his boss about him participating in the Gasparilla Distance Classic 5k walk in February 2011. His company does this every year to promote health and fitness at his company. The email from her was telling everyone that registration was open for this event as of July 1st. He read the email to me and I told him to count me in too. When I saw my doctor that very same week, I asked if it was ok to start training to do the 5k. He beamed and said certainly.

Then I found this community and the C25K program. We went to the running store the Saturday before we started the program and got new running shoes and socks. I was thrilled that my husband said he'd do it with me. We started on Monday, July 12th and haven't looked back since.

I can't even begin to tell you how different my life is since I started running again. Yes, I have pain, but it doesn't bother me. It makes me feel like I'm doing something besides letting my body and mind go to waste in front of the TV. I'm happier at work. My stress levels are waaaaaaaaay down. I have energy to spare. The list is endless. I enjoy it so much that I think about my next run constantly.

I've been able to take off 44lbs. I no longer obsess about what the scale says. If I eat clean and keep running, my body will get to goal weight all by itself. I don't care if it takes a year or more. I'm not in a huge hurry.

And yes, I run slow. I could probably walk faster. As the weight comes off, my speed will pick up. My goal for my first 5k is to cross the finish line and see the looks on my brother and sisters faces and hopefully give them some kind of inspiration to do something for themselves and help them to see if I can do it, they can too.

I'm signed up for 4 races so far. I plan on doing one per month until I am no longer able to run.

Thanks for listening

Dee

Starting Weight  297 lbs 04/01/10

C25K - Start Date - 07/12/10

C25K - Graduation Date - 09/16/10

Current Weight 248 lbs 09/17/10

Ace of Hearts 5k - 10/10/10   54:08

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    44. Aug 15, 2010 9:17 AM (in response to tomscookie)

Dee, thanx so much for sharing your story. Sharing here, I hope, helps others see they're not alone with their running & life issues.

I've been thinking about this whole Penguin Running Raradigm since yesterday. I'm sitting here now drinking up, new shoes on & mentally preparing to do my run. I have no idea what my speed is compared to other runners or what I may end up being able to do after lots of miles of running. I'm working on trying not to care, on being less competetive. Ultimately, I'm the only person I'm running for, with & against. Is Penguin Running strictly defined by speed, (or lack of it), or by attitude. I read Running For Mortals & will take it out of the library again. Right now I'm happily reading Marathons For Mortals as next spring, I'd love to try a half. What really impresses me about John Bingham is his obvious love of running. He takes a child like delight in everything to do with running. He's cvomfy discussing his mistakes, his successes, his failures. He makes running sound so attainable for every possible body & personality type.

THAT is what I want from running over & above the obvious health benefits - the Penguin ATTITUDE. I want to be able to approach it playfully as well as seriously in terms of health. I want to show up to races early & walk around, picking up the excitement, the fun, the carnival atmosphere that surrounds so many events both big & small. If I turn running into a grim & serious business of I MUST do this for my health, I MUST run a certain way; when it's clearly not me, it becomes harder to stay motivated.

I love the way people aren't afraid to adapt the program to their needs. Ultimately, regardless of if they're strictly sticking to a given program or not, they're out there running, run/walking or walk/running. We have so many 'must dos' in our every day life. It's a treat to do something for ouorselves & to develop an approach, an attitude where doing what's good for us becomes not only manageable but fun. It's been a revelation for me - the idea, then the experience that I can work hard yet still have fun doing it.

My last concern is speed of any kind & I've actually become comfortable with that; relieved even. By not worrying about how fast I'm going, what distance I'm covering, I've removed a stress. At this stage, any running stress I can eliminate can only help. I'm about to head out & I'm already smiling. Why? Today, I look like a runner - new shoes, pink technical socks, a watch with a stop watch built in & my hat. I look like a runner. I'm smiling because the minute I start, the illusion of Serious Runner will disappear in the eyes of others. I'll look like the shambling wreck I am in spite of my relatively snazzy running outfit. If I think about it out there, I may end up giggling like a maniac - that will really kill any delusions anyone might have about me as any kind of running threat!

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...