Skip navigation
Community: Exchange advice in the forums and read running commentary Resources: Personal running log, calculators, links and other tools for runners News: Running news from around the world Training: Articles and advice about fitness, race training and injury prevention Races/Results: Find upcoming races and past results Home: The Cool Running homepage
Cool Running homepage  Search Cool Running Community

777403 Views 4,445 Replies Latest reply: Nov 2, 2013 9:49 AM by angelaswindow RSS Go to original post 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 297 Previous Next
  • MsLilyT Expert 39 posts since
    Jul 28, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    45. Aug 15, 2010 9:19 AM (in response to tomscookie)
    Re: Calling all Penguins (slow runners)

Welcome and congrats Dee to your weight loss!!  I just finished W3D3..I'm so looking forward to W4....

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no  membership card to get. You just run."  - John Bingham

Started C25K August 2010!!

I'm driving from VA to ME to run my first 5K with my sister on Oct 2nd

"The Dempsey Challenge" - If you'd like to donate for the cause (cancer) please send me a private message and I'll send you my donation link

Jul 28, 2010
    46. Aug 15, 2010 9:40 AM (in response to SlogOn)

SlogOn, I love reading your posts... I totally agree with your attitude!!  I also believe that nice new running outfits (that include pink) help me to run better 

If you worry about time/speed and other things that cause stress, then it takes the fun out of running for YOU..think of fun things and not the bills, or the kids or the chores that need to get done..and never think "When is the run gonna end!!?" that only makes it worse!!  I like taking in the scenery, listening to the music on my ipod and running through the sprinklers on hot mornings... just plain enjoying the fresh air and the "me time".

"Whether you believe you can or believe you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

"If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no  membership card to get. You just run."  - John Bingham

"The Dempsey Challenge" - If you'd like to donate for the cause (cancer) please send me a private message and I'll send you my donation link

• johnsosa Rookie 4 posts since
    Aug 12, 2010
    47. Aug 15, 2010 3:24 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi again!  It is so good to hear all the comments about working out for running.  Just a reminder.  Don't forget to do that strength building.  You need to increase the strength of your ankles, back and abs.  The core is the most important to avoiding injury and fatigue.  Lunges are great , crunches do the ab job, and the Step works on those ankles.  Weights develop the back, and they don't have to be more than 2-3 pound weights. We want a slow, smooth, strong, mean machine when we are out there.  Running on flat surfaces does not build the core.  As for how we look, who cares?

I don't mean to sound like I know much, but I hate to see people stop running because they get discouraged.  You can run for long periods of time without aches and pains, and be invigorated from them.  My trainer also told me that after a long run the best way not to get cramping later in the day is to take a very cold shower or bath.

• Kimbre43 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 19, 2009
    48. Aug 15, 2010 5:25 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi all!  Was thrilled to find this thread!  I have only been running since January of this year and I just turned 44 a few weeks ago.  I am SLOOOOW, but I still love it.  Makes me think anything is possible when this former 315 pound girl can actually run!  I have lost 109 pounds since the 315 and am not yet at goal but hope to get there eventually.  I struggle a bit with increasing my distance.  I am only running about three miles a few times a week and it still kicks my butt a little bit, but it has also been very humid here in Maryland and that has made it hard to run at all without getting up before dawn.  I have been reading a few of John Bingham's books and love his style.  Seems I always am reading several books on running at once so it takes me forever to finish one!

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    49. Aug 15, 2010 7:27 PM (in response to Kimbre43)

Dear Kimbre43,

I was thrilled to read your post.  I'm in MD also!  You are the first other person I've found who is in our state, on Active.com.  Somehow, just knowing that you're out there slogging in the heat and humidity that we share, makes it seem easier to tackle those runs!  Congratulations on your achievement in weight loss!  I seem "stuck" at one weight.  I can't whine very much because people tell me I'm not fat, but I seem to have inherited a tendency to double chins from my father's side of the family.  (Truly!  I have photos of several generations of relatives who look as thoug their necks are the same circumference as their head.  I grew up hoping I would take after my Mom or my Dad's *mother* but nooooo. :-().  I have actually been told that in my jeans, I look much smaller (because the friend who said this had been seeing me from the waist up, sitting behind a table, up to that time).  So part of my hope is that running will help me lose that thick neck.  So far I don't think it's made a difference, but I've really only been at it for 2.5 months.  And I love it even though I am slow, just like you say!

I had never even heard of penguins or John Bingham until here on the boards!  Is there a particular book that you think is better to start with than others?  I saw one by "Coach Jenny" that looks interesting, I think Bingham is her co-author, right?  I'm finishing up ChiRunning, by Danny Dreyer.   I first started reading it before I was running.  I am not sure just why I bought it -- I guess my subconscious was toying with me taking up running!!  I didn't really understand it until now after doing the C25K.  I liked the general approach of "Cotton and Steel," but didn't understand very well the mechanics of the ChiRunning style.  And probably still do not understand some of the subtleties.  I want to try doing more of that on some trail runs with the local club -- if I can get myself OUT to their runs occasionally.  I am no longer a morning person, I did that for decades but since I retired, I'm a real night-owl, and that really makes the early morning dreadful!

We'll see whether as the weather cools, I may naturally wake up earlier.  I mostly run indoors on a treadmill, as far as regular reliable training goes.  But I love running outdoors, most.

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• SteveBikeRun Legend 455 posts since
    Aug 3, 2010
    50. Aug 16, 2010 9:24 AM (in response to johnsosa)

If you do strength training two days a week, concentrating on core, and do some hill work on one of your running days, it won't take long until you feel an increase in your endurance.  Many runners combine strength on two days with running on three days, with two rest days.  Modify this to suit your own preference, but mix in some strength work, and you'll feel more of a difference than from running alone.

--Steve

Completed in 2012:

The Qualifier HM, Midland MI, May 2012, 2:58, 80+ degrees

Dam to Dam 20K, Des Moines, IA, June 2012, 2:17, PR for this race

Garry Bjorklund HM, Duluth, MN, June 2012, 2:20

Fox Valley HM, St. Charles, IL, 9/16/12, 2:23

Des Moines HM, 10/21/12, 2:19

Tentative plans for 2013:

Wisconsin (Half) Marathon, Kenosha, WI 5/4/2013 (registered)

Dam To Dam 20K, Des Moines, 6/2/2013 (registration opens March 20th)

Grandma's (Half) Marathon, Duluth, MN, 6/22/2013 (if I get picked again in the lottery)

Des Moines HM, 10/20/2013 (registered)

Jul 28, 2010
    51. Aug 16, 2010 9:36 AM (in response to SteveBikeRun)

I've been weight training for a good couple years now (fiance and his friends are all body builders, so I got sucked into that, too ha!) I've recently started more core exercies, though..abs are feeling it ha!...I had an issue with shins aching while running, but have since resolved that issue   (I was running heel to toe) I ran barefoot on my treadmill after reading about barefoot foot placement and got it!! You can't run heel to toe barefoot, your body won't let you LOL so, it was a good way to feel exctly how I should be running. I ran W3D3 with no shin pain!!

I'm looking forward to W4D1

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    52. Aug 16, 2010 9:57 AM (in response to BowieLinda)

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted for awhile.  I have been having issues with my ITB/knee.  I was trying to complete W6 and ended up running maybe 10 minutes Saturday and walking the rest of the 3 miles home.  I have been icing, elevating when possible and resting.  I was going to start self myofacial massage, and my husband offered to massage my leg twice a day instead.  After the very first time it felt much better.  So this morning thinking I am doing the right thing I rode my bike.  It was great while I was doing it and then the pain started.  I don't know if it's tendonitis or what.  So I am taking a week completely off in the hopes of healing this injury .  I SO want to run.  I never thought I would reach a point with running where breathing and heartrate are no trouble, and then my leg stops me .  I didn't start having these problems till I started doing different lunges to build up my quads to prevent runners' knee.  I wonder......

I'm so glad to read your posts though........

Linda - I really enjoyed John Bingham's "No Need For Speed".  I don't know if that's the kind of book you are looking for or not.  I also have been reading Galloway's 2nd edition.  The funny thing is Bingham suggests stretching after warm up and after a run.  John Galloway says the first almost 20 years he ran, he never stretched.  He advises not to stretch before or after a run but some other time of the day, and to massage what you are going to stretch with your fingers to get the blood to that area.  I'm wondering if maybe that's what I should have been doing.

Glad everyone is progressing so well,

Melinda

• Amy69500 Amateur 8 posts since
    Jul 31, 2010
    53. Aug 16, 2010 10:01 AM (in response to BowieLinda)

Hi BowieLinda. Before I found c25k I read John Bingham's "No need for speed" and it was exactly what I needed to hear. It's all about how you can own your body and how running is just one way to do that. I loved every page and have been running ever since. I love running, even when it's hard or I don't do as well as I'd like. I love it because its now my thing. I'm very, very proud to be a Penguin! Hope that helps. By the way I grew up in Croften, I'm in CT now but I feel your pain with the heat this summer. Hang in there.

Jul 28, 2010
    54. Aug 16, 2010 10:07 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

Queenkitty,

Be sure when your doing lunges, that your knee does not go out past your toes....that cause knee strain

Lay off lunges for a while..do squats with light weight and also leg extensions with light weight to not put too much strain on knees...just do more reps to make up for low weight.

Also be sure to work your hamstrings (curls, deadlifts etc)...

I do agree a good week or maybe 2 off will be good. If your still having issues, you may want to consult a doctor??......

Good luck!

Message was edited by: MsLilyT

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

• QueenKitty Pro 161 posts since
    Jun 11, 2010
    55. Aug 16, 2010 10:16 AM (in response to MsLilyT)

MsLily - Thanks for the helpful advice.  I guess I'm just not used to injury.  I started aerobics in the early '80s, then body building, yoga, cycling, etc.  I have always done something.  I am very fortunate that this is my first real workout stopping, injury.    I just need to tie myself to a chair for a while and REST it.

I am sorry I slaughtered Jeff Galloway's name before.  I just found a thread about to stretch or not.  Below is the start of the thread.  I was really surprised at the amount of people who don't stretch at all.

"I am in week 6 of C25k. My hamstring is slightly sore, I'm thinking I  pulled it stretching as I am a slow, small stride jogger. Got a book  called Running Injuries Treatment and Prevention by Jeff Galloway and David Hannaford DPM. {Olympian} Jeff Galloway  notes on pg. 13 "I have heard from thousands of runners who have been  injured or had injuries aggravated by stretching. In general, I do not  recommend stretching... Stretching is not generally recommended as a  warm-up or immediately after running..." Comments on this?"

Melinda

Jul 28, 2010
    56. Aug 16, 2010 10:32 AM (in response to QueenKitty)

I'm always stretching....but probably still not enough. LOL

(So, believe you CAN!!!)

• SlogOn Legend 368 posts since
    Jan 13, 2008
    57. Aug 16, 2010 1:30 PM (in response to MsLilyT)

Atretching is a matter I need to seriously examine. I don't stretch before running - other than doing a few slow windmills with my arms - both ways, then pulling them up one at a time to stretch my torso muscles a bit. I've been doing a few stretches after running - nothing major but increasingly, I'm finding my leg muscles are feeling really tight.

I'm going to find & read some material on a decent stretching program - I could use more overall flexibility anyway.

C25K STARTED: 10/12/11

COMPLETED: W2D1

FIRST RACE PLANNED: ???

Excitement is slogging through a spectacular dry lightning storm

• BowieLinda Pro 136 posts since
    Jul 8, 2010
    58. Aug 16, 2010 4:13 PM (in response to Amy69500)

Hi Amy, Melinda, and All!

Ninety-seven degrees this afternoon!  Whew!  We did get a couple of "cool" days of overcast and ... thunderstorms! Haha.

I did get to the library and found Running for Mortals, so I'm a chunk of pages into that now.  I like the friendly, non-elitist tone, definitely!

Amy, I'm proud to be in and making use of my own body, too.  One of my favorite aunts when I was growing up, lived in Stratford CT, my grandmother lived in Brockton MA, so New England has held fond memories for me!

I'm taking a rest day today, and boy, it is HARD.  Funny, isn't it?

C25K Training begun (Treadmill) 6/1/10); restarted 7/11/12

First run OUTDOORS - Club Fun Run 1.75 mile circuit time 26:06:72 on 7/29/10

Proud C25K Grad, 8/7/10

College Park Cares 5K Sponsored by Vecna Technologies, Inc. 9/25/10 44:04.4

Fell off of the regular running routine, experienced the DC Derecho Disaster, and now aiming to get back on track!

Future:

Jug Bay Run for Wildlife 5K 11/3/12

• Kimbre43 Rookie 4 posts since
    Sep 19, 2009
    59. Aug 16, 2010 6:47 PM (in response to Donna914)

Hi Linda and all!

Linda, I am reading "No Need for Speed" along with a kabillion other things.  I had to laugh just now, looking at my sofa, where I curl up at night.  Beside me is "The Complete Book of Running for Women" and Lance Armstrong's "It's Not about the Bike."  Those are on the side table.  On the couch are two Runner's World mags, a copy of "The South Beach Diet" and application for a Turkey Trot and the recreation magazine for my county.  This would be why it takes me forever to read a book!

Yes, hot and humid again today, so I got up at 5:30 this morning to run.  Humid even then, but got it done.  I hate winter, but this summer has been killer!  I suck at stretching and need to improve.  I do a calve step stretch when I finish but that is about it.  My knees usually feel my runs a few hours later, but I just love the fact that I can run at all!

Curious as to what strength/ core training people are doing.  It is another area where I always feel confused and with the kids going back to school on Wednesday I will once again have time at my gym and cross training is one of my goals!

1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 297 Previous Next

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...