Skip navigation

5267 Views 28 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2010 7:17 PM by MCM Ron Go to original post 1 2 Previous Next
  • skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    15. Aug 16, 2010 6:49 AM (in response to ploddinalong)
    Re: "The Bridge"

if you check out this wikipedia page you can see a picture of the bridge

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Street_Bridge_(Potomac_River)

You can see that the bridge is a flat bridge.

Washington and Virginia is fairly flat -- especially the area the 14th street bridge is located.

The only uphill on the bridge is the entrance ramp you run up. In the picture you can see that the bridge is not that high off the water. The entrance ramp does go up but this is not Heart-break hill.

You will do great!

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    16. Aug 16, 2010 7:54 AM (in response to skypilot77)

That's an interesting picture skypilot, though I don't remember seeing that turret-like structure on the one we cross.  But I'm usually not looking very hard at that point.  The video course map indicates we go across the middle of the three spans.  Also, if the course is the same as last year we'll come directly up 14th St. to the bridge, and there is a slight slope (not much), but it's not the on-ramp you may remember from previous years.  Here's a web site with photos from the 2006 race: http://photo.garyjean.com/p340254244/.  Pictures 38 & 39 are the ramp no longer used.  The left side of picture 40 gives you an idea of the slight slope approaching the bridge .  Pictures 46 & 48 - 55 are all on the bridge, so you can see it's pretty flat.

Hills of note on the course are from about .75 mile to about 2.25 miles, followed by an extended downhill, an on-ramp at 4 miles, another hill around 7 or so to about 8, and of course, a small hill as you approach mile 26.  The last hill is really not big, it just comes at a bad time.  You can get a good look at it by checking to your left shortly after the start.  The Iwo Jima monument lies at the top of the hill.

Len

Len

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,409 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    17. Aug 16, 2010 8:27 AM (in response to ella bentley)
    Re: "The Bridge" / Hill Repeats

Ella,

All you need to train for hills is something like a freeway on-ramp or a bridge approach that is about 200 meters long, and uphill of course.  Do hill repeats.  Run up the hill at a good pace (start with your normal over-the-road pace), turn around and go down easy (recovery).  Repeat.  Start with 3 or 4, and add one each time until you're doing 8 to 12.  Do this workout every 10 days to 2 weeks, and you'll be ready for the hills.

Len

Len

• tempted1 Amateur 10 posts since
    Aug 5, 2010
    18. Aug 16, 2010 9:03 AM (in response to ploddinalong)

I have been using John Bingham's Marathons for Mortals.  Seemed fitting for me...it's a 20 week program.  He has plans for running, run/walk, walk/run and walking marathons.  All of the info is logical and easy for first timers like me to understand.  I'm probably goin to let the calf rest this entire week in the hopes that I can do my 12 miles this weekend.  I may do some deep water aerobics/swimming just to keep the cardio up. The open blister I got from 10 miles last weekend is a different story! LOL!

• ella bentley Amateur 15 posts since
    Jun 12, 2008
    19. Aug 16, 2010 10:44 AM (in response to tempted1)

Fantastic photo's, really awe inspiring......Makes me want to train harder!!!!   What Hill's?  I don't think I will spend the next 10 weeks worrying about hill's...

Thanks for all the help!!!

I am now addicted to this site and have to go on every time I look at my PC!!!!  I need a life.....

• MarathonDream Pro 288 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    20. Aug 16, 2010 12:29 PM (in response to ploddinalong)

If trained, you can do absolutely anything you put your mind to.

I read your OP and agree with everyone else - adrenaline, jitters, crowds and goal intentions will get you over that bridge.

Just remember, it's not supposed to be easy. If it were no one would consider it an accomplishment. Trust in yourself and your training and have a blast.

Also, when you feel a bit more comfortable in your training regiment - try busting out a few faster segments on your runs. Don't go nuts but just pick up the pace a few times a run to get your heart used to a quicker pace. I'm not suggesting Speed Work but just a different pace.

I really hope you get over that bridge! Bridge be damned!

Training For: 50k Ultra Marathon (2nd)

• Marathon Peach Legend 391 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    21. Aug 16, 2010 3:35 PM (in response to MarathonDream)

omg, that bridge was my worst nightmare! I worried myself sick over that thing...I kept saying thre is no holy way I will be able to beat it...boy was I wrong! You're going to get a major adrinlin rush on race day that it makes you run faster. I promise you will beat it and finish!

Terri - 20 Year Liver Transplant Survivor

2007 Marine Corps Marathon Finisher

Aug 5, 2010
    23. Aug 20, 2010 9:04 AM (in response to ploddinalong)

Fantastic work!  My long run is tomorrow...after a little over a week of rest hopefully my calf will hold out.  It's only 12 miles so here's hoping!  I'll start around 5:30 but with the heat index, its still over 100 here on the gulf coast.  Maybe training in this type of heat and humidity will work in my favor for race day!  Glad the foot is better...happy running!

Aug 5, 2010
    25. Aug 20, 2010 2:28 PM (in response to ploddinalong)

Tiny little town of Gulf Shores on the coast of Alabama!  We have had quite a bit of rain recently which makes the humidity even worse...

• Colorado Dreaming Pro 73 posts since
    May 1, 2008
    26. Aug 22, 2010 5:35 AM (in response to ploddinalong)

Congrats on your run ploddin.  We did our 13 miler yesterday and that was hard, hard...humidity awful.   Still worrying about the bridge, but I'm sure all the postive energy will help...made it across the last 2 times I ran the MCM, but this is my daughter's first and she is worried.  We will all just have to keep pushing each other.  Have a great week.

MCM 2010 -  Organization for Autism Research (OAR)

- Run for Autism  http://firstgiving.com/debbyandkendrasmith

• Pam12548 Rookie 1 posts since
    Apr 3, 2009
    27. Aug 29, 2010 3:26 PM (in response to ploddinalong)

Beating the Bridge has been my goal since I signed up last year, but had to defer to this year due to health issues.  Then today hubby mentioned "are you up to your 14:00 pace..?" and I was wondering why.  On the MCM page there's new 'rules' for this year, or either I didn't notice them last year.

"MCM Gauntlet:  Runners must maintain 14 minute per mile pace to pass the MCM Gauntlet at mile 17.5 at the intersection of 14th Street and Madison Drive NW.  A tail-end vehicle will be in place to easily identify the necessary pace.  Runners slower than the required pace will be detoured for safety reasons but will quickly rejoin the marathon course.  These participants may continue to run the course but will not complete an official marathon.  It is requested any runners rerouted at the Gauntlet not accept a finisher medal. 

Beat the Bridge:
    Runners must maintain the 14 minute per mile pace to reach the 14th Street Bridge and successfully "Beat the Bridge" just after mile marker 20.  The 14th Street Bridge will reopen to vehicular traffic making it unavailable to runners after 1:15 p.m.  Any runners unable to "Beat the Bridge" will be required to board the straggler buses and be driven to the event finish area.
    "

I'm not sure about the "MCM Gauntlet", but it does give me more incentive to try and speed up my pace.  Right now I'm a consistant 15:00, and my longest during this training is 13 miles in 95F heat and 80% humidity...

What are other's thoughts on this?  I really do not want to board a straggler bus, and wanted to finish..even if I was on my own.

• MCM Ron Legend 1,916 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    28. Aug 29, 2010 7:17 PM (in response to Pam12548)

Sorry I'm way late showing up to this thread, and it looks like you're certainly well on your way now, Plodding! 

For what it's worth, my thought when I read your original post was, there's no challenge in it if you don't run it.  Or, if you defer you'll never know if you would have made it. 

Totally agree with all the comments about why you'll go faster on race day.  No heat, no serious hills, and taper will all let you run comfortably at a much faster pace.  Also, as you train you'll get better hang of refueling and hydrating.  Do those properly and you push the infamous wall further down the road!

Best of luck!

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world.  (from my ice tea lid)

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 7 points