Skip navigation

2467 Views 13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 18, 2010 11:23 AM by RubyBPG RSS
Becky8846 Legend 686 posts since
Apr 1, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Aug 16, 2010 8:55 AM

8/16 It's Monday again!

Happy Monday, y'all!  I got my 8 miler done in good shape this morning even though my feet and legs are sore from our weekend's adventures.  We went up to NYC for my husband's cousin's daughter's wedding in Central Park.  What a romantic and pretty setting at Belvedere Castle!  Then we had a really fancy lunch/reception at Serafina's.  The day before we did some sight seeing and walked for hours.  Our legs were tired, but at least we wore sensible shoes.  On the day of the wedding we walked from the 59th/5th station to the 79th street connector to get to Belvedere Castle.  My husband and daughter enjoyed the walk on a gorgeous day.  I would have but realized my shoes that were adorable and went with my outfit perfectly were less than sensible.  They were rubbing like crazy.  Cute vs. sensible.  Hmmm.  That's a stickler, but I'll go for sensible next time...maybe...depends on the outfit!    My toe still hurts and my legs are sore in a funny way from hours and hours of walking.  Funny how this activity affected my muscles for as many miles as I run - walking is different.

• CWCastelli Legend 375 posts since
    Aug 28, 2007
    1. Aug 16, 2010 1:34 PM (in response to Becky8846)
    Re: 8/16 It's Monday again!

Had a similar last week/weekend.  Spent Tuesday evening through Sunday in Pittsburgh for my brother's wedding. Had a great time and got in 2 short runs. Tonight consists of yoga and a run afterwards.  Then something bland to eat since my wife got the results of my yearly doctors visit and my cholesterol is up. Gonna have to change the old diet once again.

I'm not slow, I'm rear security.

Thoroughbreds run fast and finish early.  Clydesdales run slow and pull beer wagons.  I'll be a Clydesdale.

• Beer and Cupcakes Legend 970 posts since
    Nov 19, 2009
    2. Aug 16, 2010 1:45 PM (in response to Becky8846)

Sometimes you just gotta opt for adorable over sensible when it comes to shoes.  I make the same mistake quite often myself.... 

Today was supposed to be my day off but I got excited playing with the mcmillan calculator after breaking a new 5K PR Saturday.   It said Im supposed to run some pretty fast miles for tempo runs.   Faster than Ive done before,  and I couldnt stand the suspense to find out if I could do it,  so I went out and ran.

1 slow warmup,  3 at tempo pace, 1 cool down.  Amazing what kind of abuse you can inflict on the human body.   The 3 tempo miles were clocked right in the zone.   That McMillan guy is pretty smart....

Splits

miPace (min/mi)
    110:09
    27:41
    37:57
    47:48
    510:05

Virtual Racing Antagonist.  I run for beer and cupcakes.kenyan.jpg

1 Mile PR 6:44

5K PR 22:21 

10K PR 48:30

Half Marathon PR  1:48:43 

Marathon PR - 4:09:10  

i before e except after c, weird?

• dutch omi We're Not Worthy 5,642 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    3. Aug 16, 2010 2:47 PM (in response to Becky8846)

Good runs everyone.  I did 6 not bad miles today.  9:45 pace and 5.5 on the incline.  Felt better than the last several runs.  This week I have a 20 miler coming.  We'll see how that goes.

Becky, I don't care what you say, (I have a shoe fetish) with a great outfit, you NEED great shoes.  So, to heck with the sore toes, you looked great and every once in a while, that's what counts.  I have done so many times myself.  I've gotten to the point where I wear sensible shoes and have a shopping bag with the really good ones and as soon as required, the good ones are going on the feet.

• lenzlaw Community Moderator 10,276 posts since
    Jan 18, 2008
    4. Aug 16, 2010 5:26 PM (in response to dutch omi)

I always have a tough time deciding which shoes to wear, since I have 4 pairs for regular training and 2 lightweight training pairs.  Decisions, decisions.

So I wore one of my cloud shoes (Cumulus) for 5 mile with 5X800 intervals.  It was pretty warm but I still managed to hit my splits.  So a good run in spite of the heat.  I'm looking forward to seeing how I do in cooler weather.

Len

• Marathon Peach Legend 391 posts since
    Dec 14, 2007
    5. Aug 16, 2010 5:31 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

I took a rest day on running but did a little weight training...god it feels good to be back here with yall!

Terri - 20 Year Liver Transplant Survivor

2007 Marine Corps Marathon Finisher

• Immer treu We're Not Worthy 5,202 posts since
    Jan 23, 2008
    6. Aug 16, 2010 5:56 PM (in response to Marathon Peach)

I was just getting on my shoes when the phone rang;  "Hey, Are you running any today?..........I'll meet you by the funeral home."  That's always an auspicious way to start a run, huh?  The neighbor just signed up with her cousin to run a women's half in Phoenix in November.  The neighbor was a major college distance runner 30 years ago, and her cousin is a multi-Ironman veteran; she just had to find an audience and someone to bounce her twelve week plan off of..........well that and to tell that her former track star daughter and her beau (himself pretty fast over 800 meters) for the last eight years became engaged on a rock near the rim of the Grand Canyon this weekend.  What is it with weddings today?

Jan 18, 2008
    7. Aug 16, 2010 6:01 PM (in response to Immer treu)

As long as they didn't drop the ring.

Len

• DaveVause Community Moderator 1,447 posts since
    Jul 9, 2007
    8. Aug 17, 2010 1:13 AM (in response to Marathon Peach)

I was with Terri.....no running, just some weight training with dumbbells.

• BOSNPM We're Not Worthy 2,481 posts since
    Nov 20, 2007
    9. Aug 17, 2010 5:21 AM (in response to DaveVause)

We did hill repeats last night, 1/4 mile at a 6 to 8 percent grade.  We did 8 with the recovery jog down to repeat, we ran them @ 95% effort, suc-ed.   We did a 1 mile warn-up and 2 mile cooldown, ended with 3 sets of push-ups 8 sec hold at bottom then 10-15 reps.

• skypilot77 Legend 1,077 posts since
    Dec 16, 2009
    10. Aug 17, 2010 6:40 AM (in response to Becky8846)

I did not run on Monday. This was not a scheduled rest day

It was the first day I missed from my schedule since May 14th.

I simply did not want to run. No guilt.

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    11. Aug 17, 2010 2:58 PM (in response to lenzlaw)

Lazy today( 8/17) didn't get out there for my 5 miler, so stuck inside for 3 on the treadmill (bleck). My monday run of 4 miles felt great though.

Len, how do you like the Cumulus?  I've been training in Nimbus for over a year, but I think they aren't working for me anymore. Getting lots of little aches and pains. I'm interested in trying the Cumulus out, but was told it doesn't have as much cushioning. Have you ever run long distances in these? Do you recommend I pick up a pair?

Thank you!

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

Jan 18, 2008
    12. Aug 17, 2010 5:47 PM (in response to RubyBPG)

Ruby_2009 wrote:

Lazy today( 8/17) didn't get out there for my 5 miler, so stuck inside for 3 on the treadmill (bleck). My monday run of 4 miles felt great though.

Len, how do you like the Cumulus?  I've been training in Nimbus for over a year, but I think they aren't working for me anymore. Getting lots of little aches and pains. I'm interested in trying the Cumulus out, but was told it doesn't have as much cushioning. Have you ever run long distances in these? Do you recommend I pick up a pair?

Thank you!

I like the Cumulus about as well as the Nimbus.  They are definitely a little less shoe: a little less cushioning, a little lighter, a little less bulky.  Not necessarily a bad thing - sometimes the Nimbus feels like too much.  (The outsole on my Nimbus also wore very quickly - right foot only.)  I have about 380 miles on the Cumulus, with a 14 mile long run (compared to 340/15 for the Nimbus).  So far I'd give the edge to the Cumulus.  Partly because of the outsole wear, partly because I've developed a liking for less shoe.

How many miles do you have on your Nimbus (Nimbi? Nimbuses?)  Maybe they're just worn out.  A year is a long time.

Have you tried any barefoot running?  It might help.  I think it has some benefits for foot strength and form.  It tends to encourage footplant under your hips, a shorter stride and higher cadence.  You don't even have to do it often.  Start small if you do.  Jog back and forth a few times on a football field or a surface you trust to be debris free, smooth, and cool.  Smooth pavement is OK but usually too hot these days.  Composite tracks are OK if worn, but can be surprisingly rough if new.

Hope this helps.

Len

Len

• RubyBPG Legend 1,604 posts since
    Jan 19, 2008
    13. Aug 18, 2010 11:23 AM (in response to lenzlaw)

Thanks, Len!

I will try them out. My nimbuses are only a couple months old.

I have tried barefoot running, but had a bad experience with rocks.

http://mynewmarathon.wordpress.com

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...